R600 pricing estimates and PSU price estimates at launch

soupnatizzle

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
i have read great things about the R600 dx10 cards to be released in jan or feb of 2007. finally a graphics card that can handel oblivion and play it like it should be played! thats exiting for me, as thats right around the time im going to be building a new rig upgrading from a socket A board!

my question for you is what will be the cost of one of these cards, not the TOP TOP end card, but one able to play oblivion all maxed with everything enabled and get good framerates..

and also how much will a PSU cost that is capable of running lets say a rig like this cost

core 2 duo E6600
2gs Ram
r600 dx10 card
a HDD and 2 dvd drives
running windows vista

PS i just got into the computer hardware world about 2 months ago so im asking for all of your help to predict what the cost of these graphics cards willbe on lauch with the knowlage of the 7900 launch and so on

soupnatizzle

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
thats good news, i will be able to afford top of the line most likely

what about that PSU though i heard you need a monster of a power supply to feed the r600 beast

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Single next-gen card will most likely use less than current SLI/CF setups.

I would feel pretty safe with a 650W PSU, but again, no one can tell yet.

soupnatizzle

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
i just though of somthing, you really need to add 200 dollars the the video card prices because windows vista will be around 200 USD, and it is looking almost impossible to get a pirated version, not that i would anyway.. so thats going to hurt my buget..

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Imma stick with a 700W GameXStream and pray that I might be able to run XFire... ugh...

Then again, I'm planning on getting a quad-core... double ugh... 700W doesn't seem like its enough anymore...

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I thought I just read that the R600 arrives in October. So maybe by the time the DX10 versions of that core arrive we'll have seen the first price drop?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Single next-gen card will most likely use less than current SLI/CF setups.

I would feel pretty safe with a 650W PSU, but again, no one can tell yet.

That wattage range makes sense. So a top quality unit will retail in the 150 to 200 USD ballpark. You can find "high power" power supplies for under $100 but I would not even consider them for an instant. As much as total rated wattage, be sure to get a unit that delivers over 30 amps of +12V, hopefully on 2 to 4 rails and hopefully over 35A. Just keep your eyes open because the premium units go on sale occasionally and/or have significant MIRs. I got $40 off of my mushkin 650 - which is good cuz that sucker is pricey.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Nobody's knows for sure. But if history prove right, the lower grade R600 should cost you about 450 to 500$. It might be less or more depending on it's performance compare to the upcoming G80 that should be slower I think.

For the PSU, theinquirer (don't flame me for mentionning them) says you should need 250Watts only for the VPU. Assuming that's for the higher level model, we might need 180-200Watts for the one we're talking about. So you probably need around a 600watts PSU to have some loose for future upgrade. Of course, it all depend on how many HDD and memory you've got. If like me you've got 4 HDD, maybe you should be looking for 700+watts PSU.

My humble opinion, but I'm probably not too far.

4745454b

Titan
The G80 is supposed to be released in October or December. R600 is supposed to be released in December or January. This was told to use many months ago, and I haven't heard anything new about this from someont I trust for quick some time. I heard G80 missed a tape out, and might not arrive until December, but again, no one official has said anything.

As for powersupply needed, again, the only thing "official" I've heard was this.
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2770
This was written back in June, so who knows whats changed between now and then. What we know is DX10 cards are coming, and vista will be here early 2007. We know nothing about performance, heat, power, release dates, etc. Anyone claiming to know otherwise is either full of it, guessing, or breaking NDAs.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
I wonder if my PS would be able to handle it... if not, OCZ's 5.25" drive bay PS extension looks like it'd great for those of us with a PS already. Of course, this is assuming all of this 300W GPUs are true and what not.

Even if it is true, I don't plan to upgrade my GPU (or my OS for that matter) for a year after DX10 is released so that they work the bugs out.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
These cards still will not play Oblivion maxed out(control panel and in-game settings) at a steady 60fps.

Remember I said that too :wink:

I'm not sure I agree with you. If the R600 is the monster it looks it's gonna be, I wouldn't be surprised to see it (and even G80 maybe) hold at least 30+ fps steady at max setting and aroung 60 average fps depending on the level. Now, tell me, who need more than 30 minimum fps other than for bragging rights. I'm niot talking about average fps but minimum fps, in case you misread me.

I hope I'm right, but I also wouldn't be totally surprise if I'm proved wrong.

Also, if theinquirer prove right this time about upcoming GDDR4 at possible 2.5 real (5 counting the DDR factor) GHZ and 384 or 512-bit bus, we should have incredible performances G85 and R680 refresh for mid/late-2007. Imagine, 300+ GB/sec possible on 512-bit bus by mid/late-2007. No flaming here please, I'm only mentionning them as what they are, a bunch of rumor outgoing guys that are sometime right. Still, that's a year from now, but : "Oooohhhh Boys does it look promising!!!!!". Finally bandwidth to fill up those 64 shader unit.

pauldh

Illustrious
When we talked maxed out, I agree with GW. Crank the resolution, max out the in game detials, enable highest quality settings in drivers, 16x HQAF, 6x adaa or aa + HDR all at once, IMO R600 / G80 won't have a chance to maintain 60 fps outside in Oblivion.

TRENDING THREADS