Sign in with
Your question

R600 pricing estimates and PSU price estimates at launch

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2006 5:17:58 PM

i have read great things about the R600 dx10 cards to be released in jan or feb of 2007. finally a graphics card that can handel oblivion and play it like it should be played! thats exiting for me, as thats right around the time im going to be building a new rig upgrading from a socket A board!

my question for you is what will be the cost of one of these cards, not the TOP TOP end card, but one able to play oblivion all maxed with everything enabled and get good framerates..

and also how much will a PSU cost that is capable of running lets say a rig like this cost

core 2 duo E6600
2gs Ram
r600 dx10 card
a HDD and 2 dvd drives
running windows vista

PS i just got into the computer hardware world about 2 months ago so im asking for all of your help to predict what the cost of these graphics cards willbe on lauch with the knowlage of the 7900 launch and so on
September 18, 2006 5:32:57 PM

Similar to all newly relesed cards.

$450 for the top-line
$350 for mid-range
$200 for low-end crap

Those are my estimated.
September 18, 2006 5:38:25 PM

thats good news, i will be able to afford top of the line most likely

what about that PSU though i heard you need a monster of a power supply to feed the r600 beast
Related resources
September 18, 2006 5:40:39 PM

Single next-gen card will most likely use less than current SLI/CF setups.

I would feel pretty safe with a 650W PSU, but again, no one can tell yet.
September 18, 2006 5:48:32 PM

i just though of somthing, you really need to add 200 dollars the the video card prices because windows vista will be around 200 USD, and it is looking almost impossible to get a pirated version, not that i would anyway.. so thats going to hurt my buget..
September 18, 2006 5:48:34 PM

Imma stick with a 700W GameXStream and pray that I might be able to run XFire... ugh...

Then again, I'm planning on getting a quad-core... double ugh... 700W doesn't seem like its enough anymore...
September 19, 2006 4:01:24 PM

I thought I just read that the R600 arrives in October. So maybe by the time the DX10 versions of that core arrive we'll have seen the first price drop?
September 19, 2006 4:25:34 PM

Do we know if the Nvidia equivilent (G80?) require the same amount of power?
September 19, 2006 4:27:45 PM

Quote:
Do we know if the Nvidia equivilent (G80?) require the same amount of power?

We don't know what any of them will require, nothing has been announced, or menchmarked, so only speculation now.
September 19, 2006 4:27:50 PM

It's official....RD600 cards in October...
September 19, 2006 4:28:16 PM

Link?
September 19, 2006 4:29:02 PM

Quote:

That wattage range makes sense. So a top quality unit will retail in the 150 to 200 USD ballpark. You can find "high power" power supplies for under $100 but I would not even consider them for an instant. As much as total rated wattage, be sure to get a unit that delivers over 30 amps of +12V, hopefully on 2 to 4 rails and hopefully over 35A. Just keep your eyes open because the premium units go on sale occasionally and/or have significant MIRs. I got $40 off of my mushkin 650 - which is good cuz that sucker is pricey.
September 19, 2006 4:38:40 PM

Nobody's knows for sure. But if history prove right, the lower grade R600 should cost you about 450 to 500$. It might be less or more depending on it's performance compare to the upcoming G80 that should be slower I think.

For the PSU, theinquirer (don't flame me for mentionning them) says you should need 250Watts only for the VPU. Assuming that's for the higher level model, we might need 180-200Watts for the one we're talking about. So you probably need around a 600watts PSU to have some loose for future upgrade. Of course, it all depend on how many HDD and memory you've got. If like me you've got 4 HDD, maybe you should be looking for 700+watts PSU.

My humble opinion, but I'm probably not too far.
September 19, 2006 4:45:23 PM

Oh, sorry. I didn't read carefully enough I guess. Got all excited for nothing.
a c 164 U Graphics card
September 19, 2006 5:02:07 PM

The G80 is supposed to be released in October or December. R600 is supposed to be released in December or January. This was told to use many months ago, and I haven't heard anything new about this from someont I trust for quick some time. I heard G80 missed a tape out, and might not arrive until December, but again, no one official has said anything.

As for powersupply needed, again, the only thing "official" I've heard was this.
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2770
This was written back in June, so who knows whats changed between now and then. What we know is DX10 cards are coming, and vista will be here early 2007. We know nothing about performance, heat, power, release dates, etc. Anyone claiming to know otherwise is either full of it, guessing, or breaking NDAs.
September 20, 2006 3:28:33 AM

I wonder if my PS would be able to handle it... if not, OCZ's 5.25" drive bay PS extension looks like it'd great for those of us with a PS already. Of course, this is assuming all of this 300W GPUs are true and what not.

Even if it is true, I don't plan to upgrade my GPU (or my OS for that matter) for a year after DX10 is released so that they work the bugs out.
September 20, 2006 4:26:35 AM

These cards still will not play Oblivion maxed out(control panel and in-game settings) at a steady 60fps.

Remember I said that too :wink:
September 22, 2006 2:18:31 PM

Quote:
These cards still will not play Oblivion maxed out(control panel and in-game settings) at a steady 60fps.

Remember I said that too :wink:

I'm not sure I agree with you. If the R600 is the monster it looks it's gonna be, I wouldn't be surprised to see it (and even G80 maybe) hold at least 30+ fps steady at max setting and aroung 60 average fps depending on the level. Now, tell me, who need more than 30 minimum fps other than for bragging rights. I'm niot talking about average fps but minimum fps, in case you misread me.

I hope I'm right, but I also wouldn't be totally surprise if I'm proved wrong.

Also, if theinquirer prove right this time about upcoming GDDR4 at possible 2.5 real (5 counting the DDR factor) GHZ and 384 or 512-bit bus, we should have incredible performances G85 and R680 refresh for mid/late-2007. Imagine, 300+ GB/sec possible on 512-bit bus by mid/late-2007. No flaming here please, I'm only mentionning them as what they are, a bunch of rumor outgoing guys that are sometime right. Still, that's a year from now, but : "Oooohhhh Boys does it look promising!!!!!". Finally bandwidth to fill up those 64 shader unit.
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2006 2:22:49 PM

When we talked maxed out, I agree with GW. Crank the resolution, max out the in game detials, enable highest quality settings in drivers, 16x HQAF, 6x adaa or aa + HDR all at once, IMO R600 / G80 won't have a chance to maintain 60 fps outside in Oblivion.
a c 164 U Graphics card
September 30, 2006 8:51:04 AM

I don't know if everyone has seen this. A possible something new in the G80 area.

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjE1NTksLCxoZW50a...

Again, nothing official, but another link supporting massive power requirements. I doubt this will change the BDAs opinion, but I believe only the official statement will do that.
September 30, 2006 10:41:51 AM

Quote:

$450 for the top-line
$350 for mid-range
$200 for low-end crap

Those are my estimated.

And if you live in the UK take away the $ sign and put a £ one there instead and those will roughly be the prices :(  just have to wait about half a year or so for prices to come down.
September 30, 2006 11:04:40 AM

Quote:
I sense the INQ grabbing another validless info off a forum.

This is sorta proved by them saying "WE LEARNED that" at the beginning of the article.
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2006 11:19:43 AM

Quote:

New PSU, more wattage added into my water loop, what a pain!
I blame all this on Prescott, if it hadn't existed none of this history would be repeating itself.

... Prescott, bought to you by Satan

Interestingly our deputy PM is called prescott and he's also thought of as being brought to us by Satan (AKA tony)in some circles.
September 30, 2006 11:21:19 AM

Quote:

I blame all this on Prescott, if it hadn't existed none of this history would be repeating itself.

Interestingly our deputy PM is called prescott and he's also thought of as being brought to us by Satan (AKA tony)in some circles.

Prescott is a very competent MP, it's just a shame his character isn't very good.
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2006 11:23:28 AM

Quote:

Prescott is a very competent MP, it's just a shame his character isn't very good.

Shall we say he has judgement issues... and poor impulse control.

Coudn't resist the dig either given the names.
September 30, 2006 3:45:16 PM

Quote:
Well I already knew beforehand that it was going to consume over 200W, but not 250W like they're reporting. I sense the INQ grabbing another validless info off a forum.
It is the 80 nanometre chip and we talked about it here saying a 65 nanometre chip is simply not possible for such a complex chip.

Suck my dry ballz Fuad Abazovic!
My highly organised logic tells me 65nm for R6xx will come at around late Q2-2007.

No offense wusy, but look how long it took them to get to 90nm. I doubt 65nm for GPUs will happen before late 2007 if not 2008. GPUs are way more complex than CPUs. They're just now starting to get down to 80nm. I don't see 65nm only 3-4 months later.

The only thing that might help ATI at least get down to 65nm quicker is with AMDs help.
a c 164 U Graphics card
September 30, 2006 5:35:36 PM

I knew it existed in another part of the forum. I've been trying to convince many regulars on this forum that the power requirements for these upcoming cards will be much higher then current cards. I've been put down and generally disbelieved at every post. Frankly, I don't understand these peoples refusal to believe that the power requirements are going through the roof. What is the danger of saying that I/anandtech/etc was right? I laugh that the BDA has been trying to tell me that its just marketing from OCZ. This is the forth link I've posted to showing the power requirements will be much higher, can anyone even post one that shows they won't?
September 30, 2006 5:48:46 PM

Your sig answers that.
September 30, 2006 6:20:51 PM

Quote:

$450 for the top-line
$350 for mid-range
$200 for low-end crap

Those are my estimated.
I'm not so sure; my guess is the G80 and R600 will be around $600-650 at their release.
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2006 7:22:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not so sure; my guess is the G80 and R600 will be around $600-650 at their release

no dont say that. its too much money. :cry: 

my antec tp2.0 with 2 pci-e connects will probably only be able to
power one dx10 card

edit; hey i finanlly got the quote thing down wooohoo
!