Sign in with
Your question

Three week old build, and cant resolve some issues. Advice?

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2006 5:26:30 PM

I built my compy about three weeks ago. Had a ram issue when i built it, replaced the ram and it boots and works fine. Except for a few issues

My Setup:

MOBO: Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
CPU: C2D E6600 (not overclocked)
RAM: Corsair 667 Mhz 2gig (1gig x2)
HDD: WD Raptor 74gig
Video: BFG GeForce 7950
PSU: Antec Truepower Trio. 550W
and a basic DVD writer, from LG.

Issues:
1) My C: is showing as a removeable HDD.
2) If i have a CD in the DVD rom, it takes about extra minute (roughly) to get to desktop from fresh power up
3) Boot up ok, brings up Windows loading screen, when it flashs to black like it normally would before it brings up the desktop. It freezes there. Have to reset from there. 50:50 on wether it happens or not.

I have the S-ATA plugged into S-ATA1 on my Mobo, Dvdrom is seen as Primary Slave in Bios. Somehow i think the problems are related, and i'm not seeing what it is. I've tried a variety of options with my Bios, but nothing seems to make a difference.

Any advice would truely be appreciated. Thanks :) 

Edit: Forgot to mention. PC runs flawlessly when it actually makes it to desktop. I've had no stablity problems. Only problems occur during the startup of windows it seems.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 18, 2006 6:14:50 PM

1) Is okay. You have a hot swappable HDD
2) Is okay.
3) What is your primary master? I think the DVD should be primary master on the IDE channel. Set the computer to boot from the SATA-1 in the Bios.
September 18, 2006 7:01:35 PM

it was IDE master, until i removed the dip switch.

Does not give me the option to boot from SATA 1 in my bios.

under boot configuration i have. CD-ROM, HDD, and [removable device]

In that order. atm
September 18, 2006 7:47:55 PM

Try setting boot order as HDD,removable device,CD-ROM & take the disc out of the CD\DVD drive and see if that makes any difference.
!