I like to reset because i'm difficult.

Spent about..roughly four hours clicking everything into place. Lit er up..she spun then died...then spun to life once more, i had given my creation life. Pleasing as it was, I was unaware of the trouble to come. I then installed WinXP, first time around she did a disk read error. Second time around the OS was installed and wanted to restart, GREAT! Now comes the dilema. The computer will start up...go past the energy logo and onto a screen with two boxes and below it more info. At which point she'll restart again...and again.....and quite a few more times just for kicks. I am unable to get to the WinXP logo or into regular windows itself. Any thoughts perhaps as to why WinXP dosn't want to creak to life? Perhaps something plugged in wrong? I'm thinking maybe memory compatabily? I bought the DS3/E6300/Corsair 1g. I'm at work right now and about to d/l updated bios into a disk but if thats not the problem, any thoughts as to what else i can try...other then kicking my darling PC.
74 answers Last reply
More about reset difficult
  1. MOBO - DS3
    CPU - E6300
    Mem - Corsair 6400 - 1.9V

I read up that the DS3 was having problems with memory voltage being higher then 1.8v. I'm going to be d/l the updated Bios later today.
  2. Heres the exact memory i have:
    CORSAIR XMS CM2X1024-6400
    240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1GB
    DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    5 5-5-5-12 1.9V No

Thanks for the help Vern.

Not sure on loading the OS on a sata? I don't believe so since it gave me the option to create a Sata i believe.
  3. Make sure your hard disk is set on LBA. I just had a similar problem on a Foxconn e-bot. For some reason the auto setting in the Bios would set the hdd to CHS. Anyway, make sure your hdd is being addressed correctly in the bios.
  4. >Second time around the OS was installed and wanted to restart

Did it actually get to the Desktop (Start button, etc.)?

>, GREAT! Now comes the dilema. The computer will start up...go past the energy logo and onto a screen with two boxes and below it more info. At which point she'll restart again...and again.....and quite a few more times just for kicks. I am unable to get to the WinXP logo or into regular windows itself.<

Not exactly sure what you're describing there. However, (assuming the install actually completed) try getting into Windows safe-mode by tapping F8 immediately after POST. If that works, tell it to disable automatic restart on failures, so that maybe you'll see an error code when it crashes. And if it runs okay in safe-mode, then it's not a memory error.

But, given what you've described so far, I agree with the other poster that it's likely to be a memory related problem. Have you used memtest86+?

Crashes like this can screw-up Windows file system, so I'd reinstall Windows after the root problem is resolved, or at least run Chkdsk.
  5. Havn't been able to get to the desktop yet. Computer resets itself before even showing the windows logo.

As soon as i get home i'll try and find this disable reboot key on error. Afraid i don't have the memtest86.

Thanks.
  6. Mornin, took me awhile until i found the stop reboot. The computer reboots 1 second after giving the option to go into safe mode/stop reboot. Problem i'm having now is that after i select the stop rebooting it brings me to another screen giving me the only option to fire up the computer in "windows(default)" After which the computer resets itself for giggles =)I've tryed selecting the safe mode option but i get the same reaction.
    I was reading through the manual and it was saying something about a Sata drive? could that be the problem? I've brough the cd/floppy to work so i'll get the info onto that later.
    Oi! Also, i flashed to the latest bios..should clear up any concern for memory compatability i'd think.

I have dual memory but only one stick so i'm running it as single at the moment. I have the HDD plugged into Satall0.

Thanks for any help guys.
  7. I never did any of that. I will do it tonight.

Thank you
  8. Quote:
    I never did any of that. I will do it tonight.

Thank you

I'm not quite understanding the situation. If it made it through an install and it's responding to F8, then I'd rule out a disk driver problem. BTW, what model harddrive do you have?

However, If it's a SATA and you don't remember loading SATA drivers during the install, I guess you should go through that again to make sure.:) Shortly after the install begins, you'll see a message at the bottom of the screen about F6. If you hit F6, then later on (not immediately), it will ask you to insert a floppy with SATA drivers. (My mobo maker sent me such a floppy. I don't know if you got one or have to make one.)

Now, if you still have the restart problem after that, I'll throw out a few suggestions...

We still haven't ruled out a memory problem. It would be good if you could download (it's free) and run Memtest86+. Or, if possible, try another stick.

Reconnect cables to make sure the connections are good.

Heat or power related problem? Disconnect/take out anything you can do without and see if that makes a difference.

Get a harddrive diagnostic utility from your vendor's website and check out your drive. If you have an old drive handy, see if you can run on another drive without crashes.

Let us know how it goes.
  9. Good morning fellas,
    Thank you for all the help so far.
    Last night i installed the sata drive then proceeded to reformat and reinstall windows. Crossed my fingers and booted up the computer...it restarted where it likes to restart.
    I've flashed Bios to the current version. Before i bought the memory i checked on Gigabytes website for memory compatabilty and the stick i bought is on it. Corsair, 1.9v.
    Tonight i planned on reconnecting everything and ensuring it looks good. My first build so i'll go through it again more thorughly.
    Heat problems....Kinda need everything inside the PC and the CPU is running at 42 for the most part. Have hsink/fan,vga,cpu,mem,hd,cd,floppy. Bare essentials =)
    I'll look into the hard drive thing on the website though.
    Thanks for the input fellas.
  10. Sounds like you are doing everything right, but just having bad luck with a faulty hardware component... especially frustrating on a first build.

Let us know if you get more info about the problem, or if you get stuck. Maybe someone else could jump in here with more suggestions.
  11. Maybe recheck the HSF to make sure it is seated correctly. Do you get any beeps? I have had a computer restart because the HSF was not on correctly.
  12. Just a wild guess: Power supply? I once had a P/S that had a bad pin in a HDD Molex connector that caused random crashes and reboot problems. Once I replaced the defective pin, I never had another problem.
  13. I havn't heard any beeps from the hs/fan. I did have one heck of a time trying to put it in. FreezerPro, aftermarket.
  14. How can i check the memory? I cannot get into windows to d/l anything. If i take the memory out and put it into a new computer it probally wont work...I'm kinda at my breaking point where i'm ready to give in and go to a computer store and see if they can't check it out.
    Last weekend i unplugged everything, went through the manual again and reinstalled windows...same restart before the OS will boot up. Maybe i just got a fault MOBO? heard it tends to happen?
  15. What PSU? Make and rating. What Video card? You can download a memory test on any PC and create boot floppy to test memory.
    Mike.
  16. Yes, unfortunatly i'm unable to get into dos. Unless thier is a command i can press during inital startup to get into dos. I restart RIGHT AFTER the OS decides to start, have yet to see the windows logo. I normally do not have the option to change drives unless i specify which driver to start up first. I dont know, i'll bring it to Fry's or somethin.
    Thanks guys, seriously.
    Bet it's some small thing
  17. To help narrow down the possibilities, start the computer and go into BIOS and just let it sit there a while. If it does not hiccup, then I would suspect HDD, memory, or maybe PSU.

If it does hiccup in BIOS, well it's not using memory or HDD...

I'd be interested in seeing some more specs, especially the power supply model and the motherboard.
  18. The computer will sit in BIOS all day long and have no problems. Heres the setup =)
    MOBO- Gig DS3
    CPU - E6300
    Mem - 1g Corsair 6400 1.9v
    GPU - Saph X850 xt
    PSU - Thermaltake 430W
    HDD- WD 160 G / Sata2

That in a nut shell is my setup. I can list product codes if needs be. Got most the stuff off Newegg.
  19. Would the computer not start up the OS because of memory compatability? WHats the norm for memory not gellin together? Would it not say it on start up? I've brought a disk and i'm going to d/l memtest tonight and see what it does.
  20. Quote:
    Would the computer not start up the OS because of memory compatability? WHats the norm for memory not gellin together? Would it not say it on start up? I've brought a disk and i'm going to d/l memtest tonight and see what it does.

The OS cannot detect or recover from memory errors... it just crashes. I don't believe you have a compatibility problem (based on the Newegg reviews). I'm hoping either your memory or HDD has a defect... those would be the easiest problems to find, at this point.

Here is the floppy diagnostic builder for your HDD...
    http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=2

This is the memory test I would use.
    http://www.memtest.org/
    "Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)"
    If this test doesn't show errors right away, typically people will let it run for several hours to be sure.
  21. Thats great Straker, i'll d/l the programs now.
  22. I booted up the computer and ran the HDD diagnositc floppy disk. It ran clean with no errors, did the quick and thorough inspection. I then did the memtest-86. I let it run for...a little under four hours. Came up clean with no errors. Any other tests i can d/l onto floppy? Perhaps a Mobo diagnostic one? I checked Gigabytes website and couldn't find anything.

Also like to take a moment to thank everyone whose helped me. Appreciate the time and patience.
  23. Dang!!! I was hoping it would be something easy. I've got doctor appointments today and tomorrow... will have to get back to this later. Sorry if I steared you in the wrong direction.
  24. I personally believe that you don't have any hardware problems. You just got a bad install. The smallest spec/scratch on your install cd can corrupt the install but will not give error untill you try and use it. Clean the install cd and try again. do a full, (not quick) format on drive at beginning.

I say this because I have seen it happen quite frequently.

Hope this helps!
  25. Quote:
    The smallest spec/scratch on your install cd can corrupt the install but will not give error untill you try and use it. Clean the install cd and try again. do a full, (not quick) format on drive at beginning.

I agree. Was getting an error during Windows install on a machine I was building. Ran Memtest86+ and the memory had errors -- exchanged for some Corsair RAM. Ran the Windows install again, same error. Back to Memtest86, but no errors this time.
    Tried a different XP disc and it installed flawlessly.
    I looked at the first disc I had been using and it had a pretty obvious scuff running around the inside edge on the disc surface. :\
  26. Great, i'll do the long reformat tonight. Cross the fingers and hope for the best.

Thanks again, let ya'll know what happens =)
  27. So last night i reformatted and reinstalled the OS on my computer three times. All three times were the long reformats. I actually installed the OS on the same HDD twice to see if it worked, no dice. Then Reformatted again and nothin. Basically i reinstalled WinXp and no go. I'm still very open to other ideas or programs i can run to find erros

I'm also going to try and get Win98 CD and see if that works lol.
  28. Hey Guys,
    Wanted to take a moment to refresh the thread. See if anyone came up with any other ideas
    Thanks.
  29. Quote:
    Hey Guys,
    Wanted to take a moment to refresh the thread. See if anyone came up with any other ideas
    Thanks.

Please do a Windows install using the following notes.

1. boot from cd.
    2. respond to F6 message at bottom of screen.
    3. setup loads some files
    4. "Welcome to Setup...", press Enter.
    5. "Windows XP Licensing Agreement...", press F8
    6. create or format a partition, select NTFS and Quick Format
    7. setup copies files
    8. computer restarts (this is normal)
    *do not* have a floppy in the drive when it restarts, and
    *do not* press a key to boot from cd at this point in the process
    9. you see graphical display with "will complete in xx minutes" at lower left.
    ignore momentary blanking/flashing of screen.
    10. "Regional and Language Settings...", click Next.
    11. enter name, traditional is first and last name.
    enter org, traditional is "Home"
    12. enter key
    13. computer name and admin password, click Next
    (you can change these settings later if you want to)
    14. date and time settings, select your time zone, click Next
    15. installs network components
    16. network settings, click Next
    17. workgroup or domain, click Next
    18. "completing installation"
    19. computer restarts (have no floppy in drive, and don't press a key)
    20. various screens and questions at this point. click Next in lower right.
    suggest: automatic updates, first name for who will use this computer.
    21. ***desktop is displayed***

- The whole process takes *roughly* half an hour.

- There are two times when you are asked to insert the SATA driver floppy. I don't remember exactly where they occur. You must be careful to not have a floppy in the drive at the times when the computer restarts, so it won't try to boot from the floppy.

- If at any time the computer stops and displays a blue screen with white text, write down the error code. Most likely codes during install are hex "A" and "7B".

If you get stuck anywhere in the process, I need to know exactly where.
    If you make it through the whole install but have a problem during startup, we'll look at the startup process.
    Good Luck!
  30. Thank you Straker, i'll follow the instructions to the "T" =)

I should let you know though. I tend to reset right before step 9. I can press F8 and it will let me choose how to start up, after which the PC will restart (I've also tryed starting up with "no reboot during error"). If i don't press F8, the PC will restart on it's own accord.
  31. You don't have any kind of storage device attached (USB flash/thumb, or external hdd) when your installing the OS do you?
  32. Nothing, just he internal HDD.
  33. Ok that's good. I'm going to throw some things out there to make sure what has and has not been done.
    Also your sure it is rebooting and not just losing video? I'm asking because I see in your bios that there is a setting for using a pci or a pci-x
    1. Used one memory module, if still doing the same thing swap mem, if still does it move to another slot still using one stick of mem.
    2. Swapped SATA ports. Do you have a friend that has a SATA hdd to put in and see if it boots. Don't forget to try different cable also.
    3. Reseat the CPU and all cables
    4. Is the 12v power connector connected
  34. Reinstalled winxp. Installed the sata, quick formatted, booted up, Restarted where it restarts.
    I'm pretty sure i'm not lossing video because it comes up again after restart. I'm also able to press f8 and it gives me options on how i want to start windows. Starting windows itself is where i'm falling apart =)

1. I only have one stick of memory at this point, have it seated in the fourth slot, perhaps if i were to move it over to the first, doubt it's anything but wortth a try =)
    2. I changed the sata ports, i even plugged it into GSata. Niether of which worked, reinstalled windows under the GSata, still had the reset before windows.
    3. I'll reset the CPU tonight, hope it's not the CPU =(
    4. Last i check the 12v Power was connected but i'll unplug and replug everything again.

Thank you guys. Please keep it comin lol.
  35. >>Reinstalled winxp. Installed the sata, quick formatted, booted up, Restarted where it restarts.
    I'm pretty sure i'm not lossing video because it comes up again after restart. I'm also able to press f8 and it gives me options on how i want to start windows. Starting windows itself is where i'm falling apart =) <<

I want to make sure I made myself clear on this... After step 8, it is supposed to restart. When that happens, you must not press any keys. You may see a BIOS message about pressing a key to boot from cd... ignore that.

I could give a technical explanation of what it's doing at that point if you want, but basically, you should just sit back and watch it continue. At that point, you are only about a quarter of the way through the Windows installation process. You will not actually be able to start Windows until the whole process is completed.
  36. Heya,
    I have the same memory and board as you. Maybe I missed this and someone already posted it...BUT. The memory is indeed 1.9v...The DS3 DEFAULTS to 1.8v. You must hit Ctrl+F1, goto to the Motherboard Intelligent Tweaking menu in BIOS, and up the VDIMM +.1
    Then reinstall Windows I imagine if the memory was messed up during install, the OS might have some hiccups in it. I was reading too hurridly to see if you've done this...But if you haven't, its probably the cause of your problems. Up the VDimm in BIOS and you're set.
  37. After installation of windows, a blue screen comes up and says "Computer will restart in 15 seconds" It then proceedes to countdown and restarts, which is normal. The computer reboots, runs through the first screen with the energy logo, moves onto a second screen with PCI information, then goes to the third screen for...maybe two seconds then restarts. Now the third screen that is displayed for MAYBE two seconds allows me to press F8. After i press F8 it asks me how i want to boot windows. "No reset on errors" , "Last known good config" "safe mode" "normal". After i make a selection the computer will restart itself. It's like a loop. If i don't press anything at the third screen the computer will loop and continue the start up at Energy, 2nd screen, third for 2 seconds then reboot, and again, and again. It's like a loop. Thats exactly what i keep seeing =) . Thank you Straker for all the help so far, i hope this helps.

Actually Wolf i havn't done that yet. I will tonight. I did however flash to the latest bios..well F4 i believe, not the newest one with better ock ability on conroe. I also reinstalled windows after i flashed and what not. BUT! i will cross my fingers and do it tonight

Thanks guys!...ALOT! Keep em comin =)
  38. update the bios to f6 if you havent already done so.
    After bios update, go into bios and load fail safe defaults.

See if that clears things up.
  39. If you haven't done upped that VDimm yet, I am confident it will solve your problem. A lot of people had your same problem when they had RAM that took say, maybe 2.1V. They had to put in crappy generic RAM rated for 1.8 or 1.9, boot into BIOS, change the VDIMM, THEN put in their real RAM before they could ever get into Windows.
  40. Quote:
    MOBO - DS3
    CPU - E6300
    Mem - Corsair 6400 - 1.9V

I read up that the DS3 was having problems with memory voltage being higher then 1.8v. I'm going to be d/l the updated Bios later today.

On all 965 motherboards the stock dimm voltage for DDR2 is 1.8v. motherboards are having trouble starting up with high clocked ram because like the OCZ ram, the clocks are pushed higher, thus so is the voltage. most are around 2.0v, this is not a problem all you have to do is boot with a cheap stick of ram at 1.8v and change the vDIMM to whatever you need, turn it off, replace ram, and reboot.

now for the DS3, its stock setting is plus or minus .1v, meaning if you bought ram that is 1.9v you are safe because its still in that .1 overvolt range. but if you tried to boot with ram that needed 2.0v or higher you would run into problems on the preliminary boot.

i have 1.9v G.Skill DDR2 800 and it booted fine, even the bios read 1.8v on the initial boot.
  41. Unfortunalty at this moment i don't have another stick of memory, any suggestions as what i can do? Can i just change the dimm setting and start up with the 1.9? or byte the bullet and pick up a 1.9
  42. Try resetting BIOS defaults and adopt a minimalist hardware configuration. One stick of RAM, one hard disk, CDROM, and your video card. You might also want to look into updating your BIOS, as well, but try the easy route first. If you're looping just after POST, then I would think something is silly with the hardware.
  43. "Computer will restart in 15 seconds"

This message occurs at the very end of what I labeled step 7. What has been done is that a Windows kernel has been loaded in step 7. After the restart, the kernel gets control and will initialize hardware drivers. Actually, this is a likely point for a failure. But what usually happens is that a "stop error" is displayed (i.e. a "blue screen error") and it shows an error code. Apparently, you aren't getting a stop error display?

Setup writes to a couple of logs. It is supposed to write error messages in those logs if a problem occurs. I don't know if this will help or not, but you might want to look at the error log to see if it gives any clues. Here is the procedure...

-Boot the Windows cd.
    -When you get to a screen that says "Welcome to Setup", press "r" to enter the Recovery Console.
    -When it asks "Which Windows installation...", type "1" and hit Enter.
    -If it asks for a password, just hit Enter.
    -You will see a command prompt "C:\WINDOWS>"
    -Enter this command without the quotes... "type setuperr.log"
    -You will now see one or more error message *if* setup had a chance to create the log and write errors.
    (The other log is setupact.log)
    -Enter "exit" to leave the Recovery Console.

The problem could either be a defective cd, or some weird hardware/driver problem that doesn't show up in HDD and memory diagnostics. Do you have an old Windows installation cd you could try, Win98 or something? Or could you borrow one from somebody? Could you check to see if there is an update for the driver on your SATA floppy?
  44. Mornin
    Last night i changed the dimm to +.01. Changed the memory slot to the first. Reinstalled Windows, Installed the Sata Drivers, Did the Quick Format, Computer restarted in 15 seconds, Booted up, went to second screen and restarted at third screen. Computer then proceeded to...Loop.

I have two windows disks, WindXp Professional and WinXp Home Upgrade. I've installed and upgraded with both of them to no avail ( nice word) =)

I checked my 12v and it is seated correctly, i checked all other connections to the computer, unplugged then plugged back in. I looked at the Mobo Manual and PSU manual and did t he best i could to ensure they were plugged in the right spots.

I also changed the Sata back to Sata0.

I loaded the failsafe settings in bios, did not work. I also loaded the optimized settings aswell, did not work.

When the PC restarts itself it makes a noise. The noise is coming from the HDD, as if it couldn't read the information.

Straker, i've seen the option to recover. I will try it tonight =)

Thanks again guys lol
    Keep em comin. I actually think we're making progress.
  45. I’ve just missed an episode of futurama reading through this thread and it may have been mentioned but at no point it seems have you tried a different HDD, an old one would do as you just need to see if you can get windows to load and run for a bit.
  46. Thank you for taking the time to read, I actually don't have another HDD or Memory so i can't swap and match.
  47. Oh bugger, it's just that your problems seem spookily similar to issues I was encountering earlier this year when I built my #2 rig and although it was a mator drive the reboot cycle thing was doing my head in for a bit until I used a seagate instead.
  48. Mornin
    Booted up the windows CD, went into windows recovery and tryed both setuperr.log and Setupact.log. Niether of which decided to show up. I typed in "Help" and it gave me a list of commands i could use, none of which were our two keywords.

I'm starting to seriously lean towards the HDD. It's the one that seems like it can't read the windows error. I'll run the HDD diagnositc again tonight and see what happens.
  49. The difference between the HDD diagnostic (which works) and your restart problem is that two different SATA drivers are being used. Take a look at the post by lazy_bee55 and the following post in this forum...

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-21492-Gigabyte-K8NF9-driver-for-SATA-install.html

Hope that helps.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Disk Read Error Systems