Sign in with
Your question

Diagnosis

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2006 5:54:22 PM

Hi,

I was just wondering if there are any hardware which I can use to diagnose what component is damaged or not working on my desktop...

I thought motherboard was busted... changed it, still nothing on screen when booting

then thought graphics card..., bought another one and not working.... which is actually good coz i thought my 7900gtx is damaged! so now i have sli 7900 gtx lol... last me a good few years...

Ne ideas would be much appreciated...

T

More about : diagnosis

September 18, 2006 6:23:59 PM

What exactly is your computer doing that seems wrong? No one can recommend anything unless we know what's happening.
September 18, 2006 6:24:48 PM

If you post your system specs and a detailed description of your problem you can get a lot of feed back from the members of the forum.
There are tools that you can diagnose components but they tend to be pricey.
Related resources
September 18, 2006 6:33:07 PM

System specs

Pentium D 805

Dual GF 7900 GTX

1GB Corsair DDR2 XMS2 ram

Asus P5ND2 motherboard

Nothing happens when I turn the machine on.... nothing on screen i mean, but all fans run...

And the CPU heatsink does get hot... so i think the cpu should be working...

i have changed the motherboard to a working one and bought another GF 7900 GTX which is why i got SLI gtxs' and seems to be getting the same problem...

I am using 1 550W PSU which should have enough power....

If my CPU is busted, will it display anything on screen?

T
September 18, 2006 6:35:28 PM

pretty insane... I might actually end up building 2 systems if i continune to buy more components! I only need another processor and ram to get a working machine!

If I were to buy something, would u recommend some ram or a processor instead?

I take it 1 single bar of DDR2 ram should work even though u really need a matching pair right?
September 18, 2006 6:50:57 PM

I've had the same situation a few times, every time it's been a dead CPU (or more usually a CPU that was just a little out of the slot). Make sure your CU is fully seated, if it isn't replace it preferably with a friends that you know works.
September 18, 2006 6:54:47 PM

Quote:
I take it 1 single bar of DDR2 ram should work even though u really need a matching pair right?

Only reason you need a matching pair is for dual-channel. You should definitely go dual-channel if you can, but it's not essential. So 1 stick works just fine.
September 18, 2006 6:56:48 PM

is it quite common for a socket 775 cpu to be out of alignment ?

my machine was workin for a bit then stopped
September 18, 2006 6:58:29 PM

I don't think so, but I don't have a 775 so I don't know, but your chip might have died. I was just going off my experience whcich says that it's CPU issue.
September 18, 2006 7:37:18 PM

Test your RAM.
If your RAM is bad it can be a cause of no video.
If you have another module try it, or borrow one from a friend if possible.

Check to be sure it's seated properly, try a different bank etc..
September 18, 2006 7:50:01 PM

Ok, now there's something to look at. If the cpu is running too hot, then the fan may not have worked good enough and the cpu fried. You seem to be running 2 graphics cards, so try one at a time to see if it works one, but not the other. If they both work, then there is the possibilility that your psu isn't powerful enough. SLI does take a lot of watts, and 550 wt may not be enough. It could well be that your psu was not working correctly in the first place, so adding another graphics card didn't help. Fact is, the psu is one of the things to look at first. It would be nice to know the brand of it. A bad psu may have enough power to run the fans, but not the graphics card.

Yes, if the cpu is bad, nothing will work, nothing will be on the screen. I have heard of people having trouble inserting cpu's correctly. You can double check that easy enough. Also look for bent/broken pins when you do. ASUS has also released a BIOS revision for some its early boards that fixes some problems.

Are you getting any beep codes? if you are, they might point to the problem.
September 18, 2006 8:10:09 PM

PC analyzer card is a pci card that you can place in a MB to diagnose several problems in MB and in other connected devices. So it may help you as it can test voltages for all devices connected ... maybe you are calling for this product... Here in BRazil cost about USD 30 to 40
September 18, 2006 8:15:05 PM

Thanks for the advice mate... any ideas if it will tell me if the cpu is not working? I doubt the ram is at fault since it is quite expensive ones.... I think the cpu which i bought off ebay might be not working.... any ideas if a cpu might not be working even if it is hot ?
September 18, 2006 8:35:19 PM

I would say run memtest on the RAM like all others say.
September 18, 2006 9:23:42 PM

Cool I like cheaper. :lol: 
Good luck, hope it helps.
September 18, 2006 9:38:09 PM

lol, cheers mate...

I hope that doesn't fry my 2x GTX or would certainly be £800 burnt lol...

I think that should detect stuff like problems with CPU or ram or bad bios right?
September 18, 2006 9:44:33 PM

Could well be PSU! What make of PSU, how much did it cost?
Mike.
September 18, 2006 9:48:09 PM

Quote:
Could well be PSU! What make of PSU, how much did it cost?
Mike.

Surely not! 8O It is a cheap £20 PSU.... But u know why i think it isn't the case... coz the required power for 1 GF 7900 GTX is 350w and mine is 550w... and my computer worked for a few days b4 it went dead... I mean surely... a 550W even if it is a cheap one can supply a 350w card ??? No ?? :p 
September 18, 2006 9:54:33 PM

Cheap PSU=Trouble waiting to happen.
In my experience a cheap PSU is not worth it. You need good clean power for a PC to run good(stable). If the PSU has a problem it can fry everything if your not lucky.
8O

Good call Mike.
September 18, 2006 10:21:23 PM

When you were changing the MB around did you make sure to put new paste on? Make sure it's seated right?
September 18, 2006 10:22:34 PM

Pretty weird... i just reassembled my computer and it is working now.... I need to check the dual sli cards work though as one of the cards i thought was damaged by my water coolant... any ideas if i have my cards under dual sli configuration, if one of the cards is totally damaged, will it cause the other main one where the monitor is connected to, to not display anything at all or will it only have problems with i utilize the card in games?

Thx!
September 18, 2006 10:23:27 PM

yeah i did...
September 18, 2006 10:25:22 PM

Quote:
In my experience a cheap PSU is not worth it. You need good clean power for a PC to run good(stable). If the PSU has a problem it can fry everything if your not lucky.
8O

Good call Mike.

Any particular PSU U recommend that might be good for my dual SLI configuration? I might try to buy it off ebay! Need to try to limit how much cash i spend now lol.
September 18, 2006 11:01:13 PM

I use an Antec TruePower and it's really nice unit. 500W
September 18, 2006 11:02:27 PM

Quote:
8O

Good call Mike.

I agree. In my experience, I'd definately say run Memtest, that'll rule out memory. Swap out the CPU for a known working one, that'll rule out ebay. Then swap out the PSU. That'll pretty much narrow it down to the Mobo, which is what failed on me several times when my builds had similar symptoms. Not sure on the 775 stuff, but I've had this happen once, I forgot to plug in that little 4 pin +12V to the mobo. Definately wont run with out it (AMD systems) and it was a "Duh!" fix.
September 18, 2006 11:06:04 PM

Quote:
I use an Antec TruePower and it's really nice unit. 500W

Ditto. Me too.
September 20, 2006 8:36:27 PM

Thanks for all the positive replies... I think my CPU maybe wasn't inserted properly... anyway, manage to get it booting as you know with SLI 7900 GTX... so it kept crashing and all of you and myself thought the PSU is crap... anyway, went to buy a GOOD PSU - Coolmaster iGreenPower 600W which cost £85!! It said SLI ready but i tried it on both win XP and win XP 64bit and it is slightly more stable but when I turn SLI on, it crashs within 10 seconds even when I'm not even loading it... pretty damn annoying... The 7900 GTX Asus box said that they recommend 500w with 12v with 30A rating or something... my psu says +12 = 19.5A peak 16A continuous... any ideas if that will affect it at all and how can i remedy it.... I really hope not buy another PSU as that isn't going to happen! I'd rather sell one of the 7900GTX instead.... really quite poor show... I was about to pick up the phone to tell those people at coolermaster what crap product thier 'high end' stuff was supposed to be!

Ps. both win XP versions are clean install with right drivers... so i'd not think it is software issue...
September 21, 2006 12:15:03 AM

That PSU is a Certified SLI solution, it should be fine. Have you tried each card by itself? Maybe one of the video cards has a problem. I see that you suspected water damage on one of them a few posts back, try installing that one by itself and see if it works. From what I've read about SLI it basically uses one card to draw the top half and the other to draw the bottom.
Quote:
It said SLI ready but i tried it on both win XP and win XP 64bit and it is slightly more stable but when I turn SLI on, it crashs within 10 seconds even when I'm not even loading it...

Does it run good when not in SLI mode? If so I would suspect one of the Video cards.
Have you tried testing RAM with the new PSU installed?

Memtest86+
September 21, 2006 7:32:08 AM

Hey Alyar... I tried both cards individually and it doesn't seem to work properly... I think it might be to do with the amperage of the psu... asus says it needs 12V 22A for 1 card and 12V 30A for 2... I checked most high end psus and the most i've seen one have is dual rail, each with 19A...
September 22, 2006 12:16:14 AM

REQUIREMENTS - PCI Express Motherboard with available 16x PCI Express slot
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
A minimum 300W system power supply
An available hard disk drive power dongle (smaller floppy
disk drive connector is not sufficient).
DVD playback requires DVD drive

Did you plug the power connectors to the Video cards? That would give you troubles for sure if you forgot to. It explains how to get the extra amperage too.
September 22, 2006 1:05:55 AM

Yes I did... the PSU is supposed to be SLI ready but I had a look at nvidia's website and that particular one i bought yesterday isn't in the definately working list... so I bought the OCZ 700W on ebay for £115! Shocking... I don't think I'll ever buy coolermaster's products again... pay so much to get sh*t...
September 23, 2006 3:32:32 PM

Wow, they (CoolMaster) should have disclosed more information on supported configurations. Just slapping an "SLI Cetified Solution" label on it falls a little short IMO. Sorry to hear that, a shame you had to dig so much to get information they should have given you before the purchase.

I looked at their website and from what I saw there it looked to be a suitable
PSU for SLI. I didn't see any contrary information or warnings. No SLI Ready for 6600GT 128bit or lower
!