Realy stupid question

Blurr11

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
hey all im new to these forms and i'm acually quite new to the computer hardware community and i have a collection of Q's on CPU's (duhh)

I have resently been looking at this site for Intel Core 2 Duo info and have found that acording to a lot of people these CPU's whip ass ( sorry about the language ) personaly i have been told that AMD is betterand infact run on an AMD 64bit CPU.

My question is why are the Intels better?

Also i know that on windows the AMD's run only 32bits or somthing like that can you explane this to me. and if this is so will there be a change in performance when Vista comes out ?

now i know these probably seem like stupid questions and i have meany more ( unfortunaly for you) but please give me sume sort of answare even if it is only a referance to another site

Finally sorry about the spelling

TheTallGuy

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
These are really stupid questions as you have managed to state wrong things in question form. I have two recommendations.

google.com

wikipedia.com

I doubt you're going to get much from anyone in this forum with this post.

sailer

Splendid
For the moment, the top end core 2 duo cpus hold the high speed crown, and all the core 2 duo's are cheaper than the equivelant AMD cpus at the moment. Both the core duo and the AMD 64, X2, and AM2 will run 64 bit o/s and software. Older AMD cpus that are not 64 bit won't run Vista as it will require 64 bit, at least for the moment. There may be a Vista 32 bit edition, but probably not.

There have been some problems, mainly concerning BIOS problems and motherboards, with both the Core 2 duo and AM2. These are minor things and will be worked out in time.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
hey all im new to these forms and i'm acually quite new to the computer hardware community and i have a collection of Q's on CPU's (duhh)

I have resently been looking at this site for Intel Core 2 Duo info and have found that acording to a lot of people these CPU's whip ass ( sorry about the language ) personaly i have been told that AMD is betterand infact run on an AMD 64bit CPU.

My question is why are the Intels better?

Also i know that on windows the AMD's run only 32bits or somthing like that can you explane this to me. and if this is so will there be a change in performance when Vista comes out ?

now i know these probably seem like stupid questions and i have meany more ( unfortunaly for you) but please give me sume sort of answare even if it is only a referance to another site

Finally sorry about the spelling

Right now, Intel's Core2Duo chips hold the performance crown over AMD.

AMD chips beat Intel's old P4 line in many areas, notably gaming.

The reasons why the new Core2Duo chips outperform AMD are varied and numerous, and I suggest you check out one of the many, many threads covering this here in the forums.

As for 64bit:
The Core2Duo and AMD both support 64bit. However, Windows in only 32bit, so you're only going to be using 32bit with XP. Vista will be relesased in both 32 and 64bit versions, so you'll be able to utilize 64bit when Vista is released. (There is a 64bit version of XP, but I don't think we need to cover that here - just wait for Vista).

I also suggest you look at Tom's CPU Charts for comparison:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Blurr11

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
well that is more then helpfull thank you i did not realise that the intels were 64 bit prossesors
yet again i thank you you have helped educate a 14 year old in the ways of computer hardware

tribal

Distinguished
May 13, 2004
the p4 core 2 is better, because it is more efficient:
the amd needs much more power and becomes verry hot...
the p4 needs less than half of the power and it will stay cool...
and even more important is that the p4 runns more stable...

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
the p4 core 2 is better, because it is more efficient:
the amd needs much more power and becomes verry hot...
the p4 needs less than half of the power and it will stay cool...
and even more important is that the p4 runns more stable...

Careful not to mix the terminology.

P4 is Intel's Netburst architecture, which runs way hotter and uses more power than the Core2Duo, or AMD's line.

Core 2 is not P4. Anyone buying a new system, keep this in mind. There are still plenty of P4 chips out on the market, so if you're buying a system that says "Intel Inside" - make sure it says "Core2Duo", not "Pentium 4" or "Celeron". If you're buying a laptop, look for Core2Duo, as many now are still "Core Duo".