Are Dells still competitive in terms of pricing?

Messer

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Hey everybody,

I'm just wondering what everybody thinks about this. It seems that in the past, Dell used to have pricing that was pretty much unbeatable (I am talking 2 or 3 years ago). Now it seems that the prices have taken a significant jump upward, and you could build a system yourself cheaper (whereas before you would be able to build a system yourself for about the same price, but minus a free warranty of a few years and 24 hour tech support).

For example:

Take the top-of-the-line XPS, load it up to the gills. You get a price of over 3 grand. I think you could build a cheaper system with better parts by doing it yourself, and that includes buying windows XP home edition.

Thoughts? I've even been able to price out E6300 systems for about a grand with a video card and monitor, try doing that anywhere else lol.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If you want a high-end system, then you'll save money by building it yourself. However, you can't build a low-end system WITH an OS for the price that you pay from Dell. The new AMD systems from Dell look nice, especially the one in the SFF case.

FTW, computer prices have been steadily going down for the last couple years.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Hey everybody,

I'm just wondering what everybody thinks about this. It seems that in the past, Dell used to have pricing that was pretty much unbeatable (I am talking 2 or 3 years ago). Now it seems that the prices have taken a significant jump upward, and you could build a system yourself cheaper (whereas before you would be able to build a system yourself for about the same price, but minus a free warranty of a few years and 24 hour tech support).

For example:

Take the top-of-the-line XPS, load it up to the gills. You get a price of over 3 grand. I think you could build a cheaper system with better parts by doing it yourself, and that includes buying windows XP home edition.

Thoughts? I've even been able to price out E6300 systems for about a grand with a video card and monitor, try doing that anywhere else lol.

Do not get a dell if you can avoid it. They're garbage. Saying an XPS ia a hardcore gaming machine is like saying a mustang is an exotic sports car.

Dell prices are only competitive on the extremely low-end (sub-$400 PCs). You can save 30% or more with at the high-end by building it yourself, and you'll get better quality, too.