Core2Duo CPU and Memory Settings - Excel Tool

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I made a really cool excel sheet, if you dont have excel then please feel free to download open office... it works great with this... If you can mirror the file, it would be nice...

Edit: Files on the bellow link do not work right now... we are addressing this issue... if the files do not download for you, please email me at big_green_jelly_bean-=<at>=-yahoo.com Please replace the "-=<at>=-" with "@". This is to help prevent spammers from spamming me:)

Download Core 2 Duo Settings Finder

---------
It contains 3 sheets...

First Sheet is A complete list of all the FSB, Multipliers, and clockspeeds
Range: Multiplier 15-5 and a huge selection of FSB's

Second Sheet is a "Target CPU Speed." All you do is enter the Target CPU speed, and it gives you all of the Memory Speeds for all the different Memory Multipliers and CPU Multipliers

The Third Sheet is the exact oposite. it is "Target Memory Speed" and all you do is enter the Speed you want your Memory to run at, and it will show you all of the CPU/FSB combinations for each of the memory multipliers.

---------------
I feel this tool will be great for people who might find more fine tuned settings at different Multipliers... Please share your experiances and if you want, please feel free to improve:) Please no Hijacking or Side Topics.

Please use at your risk.
Mike

Prior Art Protection under copyright and patent law applies.
Other then that... Please Share, Modify, Sell, Claim Ownership and/or use freely.
Please do not give to any alien species triing to take over the world

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Would be great if you could incorporate some voltage settings into the spreadsheet (if possible). Maybe list the top 3 boards, and top 3 memory modules, and have people drag and drop and select their components, spitting out the answers. Would be nearly impossible for you to do on your own, but maybe work with 9 (3X3) reliable sources to get through it. Just an idea if you're interested in saving the world and have the time. Thanks for the sheet!

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Unfortunately voltage is one of thoose variables you yourself has to find... I wish I could point to certain settings and then say they will be unreliable, but that is just not the case... Each CPU and Mobo acts and can handle differences...

Mike

tommydee

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
have people drag and drop and select their components, spitting out the answers.

I can't think of a way to make Excel work that way.

Besides, as Green Jelly says, it's not that easy. A certain memory and mobo might work for somebody that uses water cooling, but it won't work for your peltier cooler.

tommydee

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Is there someplace where people post working settings? The spreadsheet is interesting, but it just proves how many different combinations there are. Add to that other variables like the memory manufacturer and additional cooling, and the mathematical combinations are staggering.

Me personally, I just want a reliable machine that goes a little faster. It's cool that other people trick their computer out with nitrogen or immerse it in salad oil. I just want my 3D renders a few minutes sooner. I've visited the bleeding edge often, but nobody lives there.

Thanks for putting the spreadsheet out there, Mike. It's cool to lay it all out like that.

Tom

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
have people drag and drop and select their components, spitting out the answers.

I can't think of a way to make Excel work that way.

Maybe it's time to go take an Excel class... See, you're not quite as stupid as you think you are. You're proving that the spread sheet approach as currently presented doesn't do the OC job for you. You still have to start at point A, progress to B, etc.

Besides, as Green Jelly says, it's not that easy. A certain memory and mobo might work for somebody that uses water cooling, but it won't work for your peltier cooler.

I stand corrected - maybe you ARE as stupid as you think you are...

tommydee

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
>I stand corrected - maybe you ARE as stupid as you think you are...

Oh, I see. I left the other discussion because you are boring. You felt all alone and came here to pick a fight. Ooooooh, *that's* scary. I would think you are accustomed to being ignored by now.

On the other hand, maybe you're just dumb. I'll type slower. Overclocking requires adequate heat sinking. Therefore, exactly the same motherboard and memory modules will fail with poor heat management, but work with proper heat management. Clear now?

Why do you insist on wearing a light-up Dumb Ass sign? Believe me, your words alone are enough.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Overclocking requires adequate heat sinking.

What an ignorant statement. Running at stock clock requires adequate heat removal so this requirement is not owned by overclocking. The added heat load from an OC varies hugely from CPU to CPU. For example, bumping my Opty 170 from stock to 2.6 required no change in cooling - because stock cooling was adequate. Go bump a P4 by an equivalent fraction (if you can) and stock cooling won't hack it.

Therefore, exactly the same motherboard and memory modules will fail with poor heat management, but work with proper heat management. Clear now?

Don't got try rewriting the context. The earlier post said:

"A certain memory and mobo might work for somebody that uses water cooling, but it won't work for your peltier cooler."

That's a total crock of sh!t in part because it's non-specific. What people in general accomplish by going from air to water to TEC or phase is the ability to run at higher CPU VCore. So if you are capable of getting a decent OC on water (and I seriously doubt that you are) then you're probably running a functional mobo and RAM. By cooling the CPU with something more exotic than water, you typically gain CPU performance, not RAM performance , not mobo performance. Sure, you may be able to hit a different RAM or FSB sweet spot, but that's just another benefit of gaining access to higher CPU performance. If you doubt this, just go look at the numbers on systems reported here or on XS for example. Most people running phase are doing it specifically for VCore increase. I've seen people post specs where, upon switching from water to phase, they actually lowered FSB (and in the process the speed of their RAM) and then got higher system clock by bumping the CU multiplier up to its limit. Or are you now going to tell me that NB and RAM cooling is what most people do with Phase and TEC?

Why do you insist on wearing a light-up Dumb Ass sign? Believe me, your words alone are enough.

Look in the mirror, dude, you're amassing a big pile of BS because you don't know WTF you're talking about.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Please dont respond to Clueless.... he tends to hijack threads and flame people... and I doubt he even looked at what the excel sheet does... This is his history, and please dont let him ruin this thread like he does everything else he touches. Hes got some major problems, and responding to him wont help him solve them.

The Excel sheet is beign modified to include more information on what it does. What it doesnt do is that it DOESNT tell you what to set your machine too, or what is safe. All it does is show you the numbers that you need to set your machine to certain values... It can not show what is safe and what isnt... It also cannot show what voltages you need and what you should run... Wusy's guide is pretty good for this as a Base... To get the most out of your machine you need to play with the numbers and try different settings that are not in his guide. Their is no perfect solution... and their is no way we can provide you with answers... If there was we would do so...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Please dont respond to Clueless....
Do as he says, not as he does. Green Jelly is your commander, you must abide his every wish!
he tends to hijack threads
Err, dude, talking about cooling, OCing, etc., as I've done on this thread is TOTALLY on-topic. So STFU.
and flame people...
Hilarious coming from you. You've never flamed anyone here, have you? And you've never lied about anyone here, have you? ...How's that 6800 OC project going, dude?
and I doubt he even looked at what the excel sheet does...
Then you'd be wrong. I don't see any VALUE to your sheet, but that's beside the point.
The Excel sheet is beign modified to include more information on what it does. What it doesnt do is that it DOESNT tell you what to set your machine too, or what is safe. All it does is show you the numbers that you need to set your machine to certain values... It can not show what is safe and what isnt... It also cannot show what voltages you need and what you should run...
Sounds like a priceless resource. How did overclockers make it this far without your sheet?
Wusy's guide is pretty good for this as a Base... To get the most out of your machine you need to play with the numbers and try different settings that are not in his guide. Their is no perfect solution... and their is no way we can provide you with answers... If there was we would do so...
Shouldn't you learn some basic troubleshooting skills before you try to become the forum's new OC Guru?

tommydee

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
That's a total crock of sh!t in part because it's non-specific.

HAHAHAHAHA. :lol: Hook, line and sinker, there matey. Ye zipped it in yer fly agin. HA HAHAHA HAHAHA! :lol:

Yer as witless as yer are stupid, but at least yer mother named ye proper, Clueless. I'll not be listenin' to any more of yer nonsense, but jest ye keep talkin'.

Aye, I think I may have peed me breeches. :p :lol:

Arrrrr!

tommydee

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
I've finally had a chance to examine the code behind your spreadsheet, and trace the links. Very nice work. It must have taken a while to put it all together. It is interesting to fiddle with the various combinations.

Offtopic: Anybody have suggestions on a cheap video card that won't bottleneck this 3D rendering system? My overclocking plans are conservative because I don't want the system to wedge halfway into a 30 hour render.

Asus P5B
Core 2 Duo E6600
Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000

Tom

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Ye zipped it in yer fly agin.

Interpretation: "I have nothing to counter with since you've totally pwned me from a technical perspective, so I'll try a sidestep. I'm also jealous because mine won't reach all the way out to my zipper."

Ya failed da pirates day test too, ya skanky scallawag.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I've finally had a chance to examine the code behind your spreadsheet, and trace the links. Very nice work. It must have taken a while to put it all together. It is interesting to fiddle with the various combinations.

Offtopic: Anybody have suggestions on a cheap video card that won't bottleneck this 3D rendering system? My overclocking plans are conservative because I don't want the system to wedge halfway into a 30 hour render.

Asus P5B
Core 2 Duo E6600
Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000

Tom

We created a new one... Me and Tom... I guess the memory multiplier is double the value I had... and that the equations changed from a multitude of 4 to a multitude of 2...

This will allow people to be more accurate... A 533mhz Memory Speed @ FSB 266 is a 1:1 multiplier... I thought it was 1:2...

Anyways, the original answers where right... just not the details... thanks for the compliment... keep checking back here... we will have a new version

Night all
Mike

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I must say you realy sound like a jerk, if hes wrong at least say it more polite than "your stupid, go die".

Hey Murdera, I never told anyone to die so quit fabricating!

You are correct; perhaps that was a poor choice of words. Your words seemed pretty much to convey that idea however.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I must say you realy sound like a jerk, if hes wrong at least say it more polite than "your stupid, go die".

Hey Murdera, I never told anyone to die so quit fabricating!

You are correct; perhaps that was a poor choice of words. Your words seemed pretty much to convey that idea however.

Given your handle, maybe it's logical for you to think as such. Death is too severe a punishment in my opinion. In fact, the consequences of their ignorance provide adequate suffering.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
GOD DAMN IT!!! STOP HIJACKING THIS THREAD!!!

Please for the love of god, can a moderator delete all this crap that doesnt belong in this thread... No one would want to wade through this crap to read real information... If I have too I will just start a new thread with a new version number... maybe after a few versions certain people will get tired of this...

-------------------------------------------------------------

BTW:
We are finalizing a new version with descriptions/warnings/instructions/colors/corrections and consistancy.
Should be up soon! I will update the top thread when it gets posted...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
can a moderator delete all this crap that doesnt belong in this thread...
You'd love to have total censorship rights for the entire forum, wouldn't you?

If I have too I will just start a new thread with a new version number... maybe after a few versions certain people will get tired of this...
I've been tired of it since the very beginning. Maybe there's hope for you eventually...

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
New version available... With COLORS!!! hahah

and descriptions, warnings, consistancy some corrections, and a few major fixes...

Got to download it...