What multifunction laser printer to get?

Too much choice if driving me crazy!

I am fed up with ink jet printers. Will laser printers give me a new devil
worse than the ink devil?

Should I go cheap and get something like the Brother Mono laser MFC-7420? It
will probably be all I really need.

On the other hand, should I bite the bullet and get something line the HP
2840 everything?

I really need some hand holding and am willing to admit it.

Pointers to good reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
10 answers Last reply
More about what multifunction laser printer

    > Money by itself is not a problem. I am willing to spend anything up to say
    >$1000 without a problem. But I was brought up during the depression and
    > still find guilt in spending money recklessly. A black/white printer
    > function is probably all I REALLY need, but color and duplex printing is
    > nice.

    The same basic rule of thumb applies to lasers as they do on inkjets...
    sometimes when you go with a slightly cheaper solution they bite you on
    the cost per page.

    For example
    Canon imageCLASS MF5730 costs $300 and the x25 toner costs $90ish
    street (MSRP $100) with a 2500p yield working out to 3.6c/page. That's
    pretty awful.
    The Imageclass D320 isn't much better, but costing $130 for only a
    3500p yield.

    The HP 2840 takes the HP Q3960A Black offering a 5000p yield @ $82.ish
    street / $115 msrp. A Q3964A drum is also needed to be replaced rated
    at 20,000p @ $173 / $241msrp. so 2.505c/page or so, there and abouts
    if you were only using it to print black.

    So you spend more ofr the HP 2840... but replace the toner 1/2 as often
    and spend less per page. This is a very superficial evaluation esp
    since one is color and the other is not.

    ..

    In message <BF45AA4C.5D27%salmonegg@sbcglobal.net>,
    salmonegg@sbcglobal.net writes
    >Too much choice if driving me crazy!
    >
    >I am fed up with ink jet printers. Will laser printers give me a new devil
    >worse than the ink devil?
    >Should I go cheap and get something like the Brother Mono laser MFC-7420? It
    >will probably be all I really need.
    >On the other hand, should I bite the bullet and get something line the HP
    >2840 everything?
    >I really need some hand holding and am willing to admit it.
    >Pointers to good reviews would be greatly appreciated.

    What do you want to do? How much of it do you want to do? How much money
    are you looking at?

    --
    Timothy

    On 9/8/05 9:13 AM, in article owb$M5O9MGIDFwQz@town-village.demon.co.uk,
    "me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net> wrote:

    > In message <BF45AA4C.5D27%salmonegg@sbcglobal.net>,
    > salmonegg@sbcglobal.net writes
    >> Too much choice if driving me crazy!
    >>
    >> I am fed up with ink jet printers. Will laser printers give me a new devil
    >> worse than the ink devil?
    <snip>
    > What do you want to do? How much of it do you want to do? How much money
    > are you looking at?
    Money by itself is not a problem. I am willing to spend anything up to say
    $1000 without a problem. But I was brought up during the depression and
    still find guilt in spending money recklessly. A black/white printer
    function is probably all I REALLY need, but color and duplex printing is
    nice.

    I am tempted to get the HP 2840. If I do, I will not look back and rue not
    spending a few dollars more. Of course, I do not really know how well that
    machine has pleased its owners.

    Bill

    salmonegg@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > Too much choice if driving me crazy!
    >
    > I am fed up with ink jet printers. Will laser printers give me a new devil
    > worse than the ink devil?
    >
    > Should I go cheap and get something like the Brother Mono laser MFC-7420? It
    > will probably be all I really need.
    >
    > On the other hand, should I bite the bullet and get something line the HP
    > 2840 everything?
    >
    > I really need some hand holding and am willing to admit it.
    >
    > Pointers to good reviews would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Bill

    I used to have a Brother mono laser (just a printer) which I liked and it worked
    well for me. Ultimately it died when I left it in storage for a year -- somehow
    it never worked well for me after that.

    Anyhow I was pleased enough with it that when I bought a multifunction I bought
    a Brother ink jet. That was one of the worst technology purchases I ever made.
    I was happy enough with it when it worked, but keeping the ink jets running
    was worse than any HP or Lexmark ink jet I've ever had by a huge margin. I
    finally just junked it rather than spending $100 to fix something that shouldn't
    have broken to start with.

    The moral being that I don't think I'd get a Brother again.

    Have you looked at Dell's printers? I'd at least check them out in your
    situation. They're made by someone else, but presumably Dell stands behind it
    for you since it has their badge on it.

    Good luck...

    Bill (different one)

    <salmonegg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >Too much choice if driving me crazy!
    >
    >I am fed up with ink jet printers. Will laser printers give me a new devil
    >worse than the ink devil?
    >
    >Should I go cheap and get something like the Brother Mono laser MFC-7420? It
    >will probably be all I really need.
    >
    >On the other hand, should I bite the bullet and get something line the HP
    >2840 everything?
    >
    >I really need some hand holding and am willing to admit it.
    >
    >Pointers to good reviews would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Bill

    Bill
    You may want to look at the new OKI range of multifunction colour lasers, I
    have not compared their cost of ownership with other makes, but I do know that
    the laser engine they are based on is amongst the most reliable available.
    Tony

    On 9/8/05 1:09 PM, in article
    eU0Ue.8925$9i4.1375@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net, "Bill Martin"
    <wylie@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Anyhow I was pleased enough with it that when I bought a multifunction I
    > bought
    > a Brother ink jet. That was one of the worst technology purchases I ever
    > made.
    > I was happy enough with it when it worked, but keeping the ink jets running
    > was worse than any HP or Lexmark ink jet I've ever had by a huge margin. I
    > finally just junked it rather than spending $100 to fix something that
    > shouldn't
    > have broken to start with.
    >
    > The moral being that I don't think I'd get a Brother again.

    The Brother MFC-9200C inkjet machine is what is driving me crazy. On the
    other hand, I have a Brother DCP-1000 which is giving me good service. It is
    fussing with the ink; drying ink, cleaning, replacing etc. that is driving
    me up the wall.

    Bill

    Hi Bill,

    Once alternative you should consider is the Xerox WorkCentre C2424DP.
    Network Ready, 24PPM, automatic Duplex printing. Print, Copy, Scan.

    Better yet if you qualify you can get this printer for free just for
    purchasing supplies that you would need anyway. You also save 25% on
    the supplies.

    http://www.FreePrinters.com

    There are also other color laser printers and MFP's to choose from.

    Best of luck!

    In message <1126217021.971339.246730@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    zakezuke <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> writes
    >> Money by itself is not a problem. I am willing to spend anything up to say
    >>$1000 without a problem. But I was brought up during the depression and
    >> still find guilt in spending money recklessly. A black/white printer
    >> function is probably all I REALLY need, but color and duplex printing is
    >> nice.
    >
    >The same basic rule of thumb applies to lasers as they do on inkjets...
    >sometimes when you go with a slightly cheaper solution they bite you on
    >the cost per page.
    >For example
    >Canon imageCLASS MF5730 costs $300 and the x25 toner costs $90ish
    >street (MSRP $100) with a 2500p yield working out to 3.6c/page. That's
    >pretty awful.
    >The Imageclass D320 isn't much better, but costing $130 for only a
    >3500p yield.
    >The HP 2840 takes the HP Q3960A Black offering a 5000p yield @ $82.ish
    >street / $115 msrp. A Q3964A drum is also needed to be replaced rated
    >at 20,000p @ $173 / $241msrp. so 2.505c/page or so, there and abouts
    >if you were only using it to print black.
    >So you spend more ofr the HP 2840... but replace the toner 1/2 as often
    >and spend less per page. This is a very superficial evaluation esp
    >since one is color and the other is not.

    The other question is how many pages are you going to print? If its
    maybe one or two thousand a year then it will take rather longer to
    recoup the cost of a more expensive machine to start with. If you're
    printing a couple of thousand pages a month then running costs will
    rapidly overtake the initial purchase price.

    --
    Timothy

    The Samsung multifunctions perform well.

    Have both the model with the flatbed scanner on top, and the other model
    that's a fax machine + laser printer.

    Easy setups, quick print speeds, no problems jamming or anything else
    and everything works just fine.

    > The Brother MFC-9200C inkjet machine is what is driving me crazy. On the
    > other hand, I have a Brother DCP-1000 which is giving me good service. It is
    > fussing with the ink; drying ink, cleaning, replacing etc. that is driving
    > me up the wall.

    I know nothing about the MFC-9200C other than it takes ink and a
    printhead, a printhead that might need to be replaced. Not like I can
    look at a manual online and see if I reconize the printhead and could
    match it to another product, no manual online. So I know squat about
    this product.

    There are good reasons to consider a laser. There are good reasons to
    consider a color laser. If you are willing to spend over $500 for
    something that doesn't require drytime, that will print hundrads to
    thousands of pages without opening the cover, something designed to
    print thousands to tens of thousands of pages without replacing a
    single part.... more power to you. If uptime is your priority... if
    you lose money every time you open up the printer cover and replace or
    clean something, then by all means spend $500-$1000.

    On the otherhand... if you have the space you might consider a
    monochrome laser and a color inkjet... even a monochrome all in one
    unit. Inkjets on glossy paper tend to look very good, and the cost of
    color inkjets tend to be about 25% to 40% more than the ink they come
    with. I.e. a $100 inkjet might come with $60 or $70 worth of ink
    making the net cost to replace the whole thing $30 to $40. When the
    sales hit, sometimes the printer is equal to the cost of the ink they
    come with, making the net cost to replace 0%. I dislike the disposable
    world of inkjets, but it's a fact that they make their money on the ink
    so it's in their best interest to provide you with cheap printers. If
    you can get away for a week without color printing and depend on your
    work horse monochrome AIO laser... this is an option.

    There are inkjets that offer reasonably fast drytimes. Canon is pretty
    dang good as far as drytime goes. Epson dye inkjets are not too
    shabby... their pigment inkjets I have less experence with but I
    imagine they require more drytime. I have no direct experence with
    the hp vivera ink but i'm told the drytime is higher than average, but
    to those willing to wait you get long printlife.

    I'm not going to reccomend a single product... I know not your
    application. An actuall thoughtful reccomendation would first be based
    on

    1. How much you print.
    2. How much you print in color
    3. How colorful are you color prints
    4. What favor do you rank highest in your prints
    a. Quality of colors (pie charts or photographs)
    b. Speed of printing
    c. Dry time (frame as fast as you print or can you wait a 1/4 hour
    or more)
    d. longevity of prints (Birthday cards or archival beyond your
    lifetime)
    5. Do you print desire printing on special media (glossy papers, CDs,
    or plain paper)
    6. Do you print on non letter/a4 sized media (envelopes)

    These are just off the top of my head.

Printers Laser Printer Peripherals