It's Time to Welcome Tom's $10,000 PC!

pschmid

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
The entry forms are still coming in, and one lucky reader will be taking home the most impressive computer system we have ever had in our labs. Hitting the $10,000 mark and going beyond, this Falcon Northwest machine is loaded to the hilt and licensed to thrill!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Not trying to start any flaming but I am still really pissed off that I didn't get the chance to win this because I'm not in the US. I understand why it was done this way, but seeing the PC in all of its glory just makes me pissed off all over again!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Would it piss off a lot of the people if I won it and just used it for spare parts... I would toss out the mouse and keyboard, get the new Microsoft Ultimate keyboard, strip out the mobo, put in a P5W-DH, get two X1950XTX, and sell the 7950GX2's and the P5N32-SLI mobo... I'm actually not a big fan of the Temjin case, but I'll keep it just for the work they spent on it =)

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Oh great, here we go again with the "US only" rants. I do think TOMs should post an explanation why they have to only offer this to the US residents. I'm quit sure there's a very good reason and I can think of many. The main reason of course being that the US rules...

Just kidding...I had to. It's probably for tax, legal or have something to do with the agreement with Falcon since they're probably footing a part or most of the bill. Let us know TOMs, or people are going to start arguing again. World War 3 could result...

pboavida

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
That's nice, but why US only?

You did the ".com.com" again :lol:

As again we the rest of the world wait but...

I've been here for almost 10 years. Just lurking arround.
I've started in the Internet with an 56k dial-up modem.
I'm from one of the oldests countries of Europe - Portugal was founded in 1148.
I speak - more or less - good English
I know your test labs are in Germany

I'M NOT AMERICAN, I'm Portuguese, European, member of the EEC, so why can't I cast my submition?

sledgehammer70

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2005
Would it piss off a lot of the people if I won it and just used it for spare parts... I would toss out the mouse and keyboard, get the new Microsoft Ultimate keyboard, strip out the mobo, put in a P5W-DH, get two X1950XTX, and sell the 7950GX2's and the P5N32-SLI mobo... I'm actually not a big fan of the Temjin case, but I'll keep it just for the work they spent on it =)

If you win I will be so PISSED!

I so want to win this PC... I hit toms Site daily and can't get the thing out fo my head!!!!

How are we top be sure our entry is in? I mean it says I have entered but I want to be 100% sure I am in the running for this bad boy :)

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
In case your wondering why it is US only, I might have an explanation.

Falcon Northwest is a United States system builder. (still doesn't explain why they can't ship to canada).

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Maybe they should make a $10k US contest, a $2000 Canadian contest, and a $10k EU contest. That way they could just set up different rules for each one (if that is the issue). We do have contests here in Canada, so I'm pretty sure they could find a way to run one up here. Although a $2k PC? Might be better if us Canadians could just go for an X6800 and 2 x1950xtx CF, or even a gift cert.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
10k? I totalled it up and got about 7-8k max even if you bought all the parts seperately at internet retail prices..

And I'm surprised they used 6400C4 memory... I'd have guessed they could get their hands on the 6400C3 at least, even if they can't get the 1111Mhz (pc2-8888) stuff yet...

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hmmm if we let anyone out side the US play it increases the chances of that rig falling into the hands of the enemy. You know North Korea wants to get their hands on that computer for their missle program. Plus Kim Jong loves a good game of CS online but his TRS-80 anit up to the challenge. :wink:

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Hmmm if we let anyone out side the US play it increases the chances of that rig falling into the hands of the enemy. You know North Korea wants to get their hands on that computer for their missle program. Plus Kim Jong loves a good game of CS online but his TRS-80 anit up to the challenge. :wink:

Gotta love that ASCII art, man.

DPolkowski

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I will give you one example why a lot of contests are US only or country specific. In the example of this system... the final cost is around $11,500. If you were a resident of Canada, the import tarriff would be 30% of that. So when you wanted to pick it up from Customs you would have to hand then over $3,000 US. I am not sure our Canadian readers would want to do something like that.

When you look at other countries it can be even worse. It is not easy to run a contest in all of the countries that Tom's Hardware Guide can be accessed from. I personally hate the fact but when you are constrained by rules and regulations like the condition that our Canadian friends have, please don't get angry at us, contact your local politician.

melvz90

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
well they obviously couldnt find a sponsor to handle the shipping cost... coz the budget they have was only for an overpriced pc... and tom's is too much of a penny pincher to handle such cost... or its only the US audience that are much appreciated...

B4bypUncHER

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
BWAAAHAAAJHAAAA

BWAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAA

$10k???????

BWAHHHAAHHHAHHAHHHHAAAAA

The cabling job is subrate, I mean it looks like a cable is folded and then zip tied.

Zipties???? BWAAAHAAAHAAAAAA

For this price there should be dedicated wire holddowns

The sleeving doesn't even terminate into the powersupply

BWAAAHAAHAAAAAAA

A 40mm fan on the chip???

BWAAAHAAHHAAAHAAA

No Internal lighting???? ROFFFFLES

3 hard drives???? BWAAHAAHAAHAAAHAAA

Wheww let me slow down. I almost tinkled in my pants..

Other than that I really like it:)

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I will give you one example why a lot of contests are US only or country specific. In the example of this system... the final cost is around $11,500. If you were a resident of Canada, the import tarriff would be 30% of that. So when you wanted to pick it up from Customs you would have to hand then over $3,000 US. I am not sure our Canadian readers would want to do something like that.

When you look at other countries it can be even worse. It is not easy to run a contest in all of the countries that Tom's Hardware Guide can be accessed from. I personally hate the fact but when you are constrained by rules and regulations like the condition that our Canadian friends have, please don't get angry at us, contact your local politician.

This is very true. I've even read that when a Canadian wins a car on The Price Is Right, more often than not, they end up declining the prize because of the taxes they have to fork over to customs upfront.