Help needed with My Computer folder appearance.

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

To those who are familiar with XP you'll know that in "My Computer" the way
that the icons are layed out and grouped together are different from the way
they normally appear in previous versions of windows.

Well my My Computer folder has decided to revert back to old stylee windows
and ditch it's new XP layout. I don't recall changing any settings to cause
this and after getting used to the way that XP displays it's My Computer
contents I must say that I rather miss it.

I've tried loading a different theme and then reloading the XP theme but
alas no
change. I've also tried Right click My Computer then advanced, performance,
adjust for best settings., still no joy. Going into the display properties
and selecting the appearance tab shows XP Style.

Any ideas as to how I could restore it's original XP appearance?

Many thanks.

I've xposted to basics and help_and_support as I wasn't sure which one to
post to. Please forgive me if I have made an error in doing so.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello Jones,

When you open My Computer, try clicking on View at the top, then you can
choose to have Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons List or Details. You can also choose
how they are grouped. Is this what you're looking for?

HTH

Colin.

"Jones" wrote:

> To those who are familiar with XP you'll know that in "My Computer" the way
> that the icons are layed out and grouped together are different from the way
> they normally appear in previous versions of windows.
>
> Well my My Computer folder has decided to revert back to old stylee windows
> and ditch it's new XP layout. I don't recall changing any settings to cause
> this and after getting used to the way that XP displays it's My Computer
> contents I must say that I rather miss it.
>
> I've tried loading a different theme and then reloading the XP theme but
> alas no
> change. I've also tried Right click My Computer then advanced, performance,
> adjust for best settings., still no joy. Going into the display properties
> and selecting the appearance tab shows XP Style.
>
> Any ideas as to how I could restore it's original XP appearance?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> I've xposted to basics and help_and_support as I wasn't sure which one to
> post to. Please forgive me if I have made an error in doing so.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Adjusting for best performance clears the XP look.. adjusting for best
appearance (subjective) will get it back..

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:18:24 GMT, Jones wrote:

> To those who are familiar with XP you'll know that in "My Computer" the way
> that the icons are layed out and grouped together are different from the way
> they normally appear in previous versions of windows.
>
> Well my My Computer folder has decided to revert back to old stylee windows
> and ditch it's new XP layout. I don't recall changing any settings to cause
> this and after getting used to the way that XP displays it's My Computer
> contents I must say that I rather miss it.
>
> I've tried loading a different theme and then reloading the XP theme but
> alas no
> change. I've also tried Right click My Computer then advanced, performance,
> adjust for best settings., still no joy. Going into the display properties
> and selecting the appearance tab shows XP Style.
>
> Any ideas as to how I could restore it's original XP appearance?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> I've xposted to basics and help_and_support as I wasn't sure which one to
> post to. Please forgive me if I have made an error in doing so.

With a My Computer window up, select View> Arrange Icons By...> Show in
Groups. The default view for My Computer on a fresh XP install also uses
the View> Tiles setting.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

"coliboy" <coliboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Jones,
>
> When you open My Computer, try clicking on View at the top, then you can
> choose to have Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons List or Details. You can also
> choose
> how they are grouped. Is this what you're looking for?

The folder used to look similar to this:
http://www.phm.lu/Products/PC/Plus/Sample1.gif

It's still retained the web view on the left (blue panel with details) but
now it just looks like any other folder with icons in it. There is no
seperation with text like there is in the image (I.E. It doesn't say Hard
Disk Drives and then display the drives under it, Devices with removable
storage and then display drives under it etc anymore.) They're displayed
just like any other folder now and I can't understand why. It's not so much
of a problem more of an annoyance. It took me a while to get used to the
new Xp style of My Computer and now I miss it lol.

Thanks

"Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Adjusting for best performance clears the XP look.. adjusting for best
> appearance (subjective) will get it back..

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying. Sorry I should have stated that it is already on best
appearance on the performance setting window.

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Jones" <none@nonenonenone.co.uk> wrote in message
> To those who are familiar with XP you'll know that in "My Computer" the
> way
> that the icons are layed out and grouped together are different from the
> way
> they normally appear in previous versions of windows.
>
> Well my My Computer folder has decided to revert back to old stylee
> windows
> and ditch it's new XP layout. I don't recall changing any settings to
> cause
> this and after getting used to the way that XP displays it's My Computer
> contents I must say that I rather miss it.
>
> I've tried loading a different theme and then reloading the XP theme but
> alas no
> change. I've also tried Right click My Computer then advanced,
> performance, adjust for best settings., still no joy. Going into the
> display properties and selecting the appearance tab shows XP Style.
>
> Any ideas as to how I could restore it's original XP appearance?
>
> Many thanks.

Problem solved in 24hoursupport.helpdesk

Solution:
Click "View-->Arrange Icons By..-->Show in Groups." It will then make
everything A through Z, so then click "View-->Arrange Icons By-->Type".

Thanks to everyone who replied. Your help was most appreciated.