Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 7 install fail / Primary IDE Channel driver

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
May 28, 2011 11:03:06 PM

Hello,

Noobie here. I am trying to upgrade my desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7 via disk. When it asks me where i want to install Windows, i click next and it tells me:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Windows needs the driver for device [Primary IDE Channel]. Click 'load driver' and select the required device driver."

It doesn't find anything when I click 'load driver'. When I look in Device Manager it says the Primary IDE Channel driver is working properly. I am not sure what a Primary IDE Channel even is, so I am at a complete loss here.

Computer is an Insignia d300a, a second internal hard drive is installed,and I have been unable to locate the startup disk that came with the computer. I am not sure what other information is relevant, but let me know if you need more information.

All the data on the computer is saved, I just want to get Windows 7 on it...if there is no way to update that driver, is there a way I can format the hard drive and install Windows from the disk, or will it still give me problems because of the IDE Channel thing?

More about : windows install fail primary ide channel driver

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 30, 2011 12:40:42 AM

What size hard drive is installed? Could you be using some translation software to support a large drive on that older MB?

Also, how much memory does that have? You will not be happy without at least 2GB to go along with that old P4 CPU.
m
0
l
May 30, 2011 1:58:23 AM

nshadow said:
Hello,

Noobie here. I am trying to upgrade my desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7 via disk. When it asks me where i want to install Windows, i click next and it tells me:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Windows needs the driver for device [Primary IDE Channel]. Click 'load driver' and select the required device driver."

It doesn't find anything when I click 'load driver'. When I look in Device Manager it says the Primary IDE Channel driver is working properly. I am not sure what a Primary IDE Channel even is, so I am at a complete loss here.

Computer is an Insignia d300a, a second internal hard drive is installed,and I have been unable to locate the startup disk that came with the computer. I am not sure what other information is relevant, but let me know if you need more information.

All the data on the computer is saved, I just want to get Windows 7 on it...if there is no way to update that driver, is there a way I can format the hard drive and install Windows from the disk, or will it still give me problems because of the IDE Channel thing?


After looking at your PC's specifications ( http://insigniaproducts.com/products/computers/D300a.ht... ), there may be a couple of things you need to do. First of all, the 845G chipset in which your PC uses is not completely compatible with Windows 7. You will need at least a discrete video card as there will be no graphics driver that will work properly for the integrated graphics of your motherboard. You will need a bit more memory than what initially came with your PC. Did you add any? I was unable to find any 3rd party controller drivers for your system as indicated by the manufacturer. Does your computer have an add-in hard drive controller? If it does, you will likely need a driver from the manufacturer. When you click "load driver" it will need to read that driver from a floppy disk or some other form of removable media. There are no drivers available from Insignia other than for Windows XP.

A Primary IDE Channel is the connection to your first hard drive. This should go from your motherboard to your hard drive. If it goes from a card in a PCI slot to your hard drive, you have an add-in card. The original CD will be of little use as there is no direct way to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 30, 2011 4:29:42 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
What size hard drive is installed? Could you be using some translation software to support a large drive on that older MB?

Also, how much memory does that have? You will not be happy without at least 2GB to go along with that old P4 CPU.



The orginial HD has 60Gb and the added one has 250Gb. Im not using any translation software that i am aware of.

I have added some memory, im not exactly sure what it is at off the top of my head and that computer is in the baby's room right now, but i believe it is at 2GB.
m
0
l
May 30, 2011 4:37:17 AM

timinator said:
After looking at your PC's specifications ( http://insigniaproducts.com/products/computers/D300a.ht... ), there may be a couple of things you need to do. First of all, the 845G chipset in which your PC uses is not completely compatible with Windows 7. You will need at least a discrete video card as there will be no graphics driver that will work properly for the integrated graphics of your motherboard. You will need a bit more memory than what initially came with your PC. Did you add any? I was unable to find any 3rd party controller drivers for your system as indicated by the manufacturer. Does your computer have an add-in hard drive controller? If it does, you will likely need a driver from the manufacturer. When you click "load driver" it will need to read that driver from a floppy disk or some other form of removable media. There are no drivers available from Insignia other than for Windows XP.

A Primary IDE Channel is the connection to your first hard drive. This should go from your motherboard to your hard drive. If it goes from a card in a PCI slot to your hard drive, you have an add-in card. The original CD will be of little use as there is no direct way to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7.



A buddy gave me a video card that i have not installed yet, so i will hop on that. I added some memory, i think its at 2GB right now.

In the morning i will check to see if it has an add-in card or not. are you saying if there is an add-in card, then the computer as it is cant run Windows 7?

The computer is old and garbage, we just dont have money for a new one right now so im trying to make do with it for as long as possible.

Thanks for the info.
m
0
l
May 30, 2011 9:50:21 PM

nshadow said:
A buddy gave me a video card that i have not installed yet, so i will hop on that. I added some memory, i think its at 2GB right now.

In the morning i will check to see if it has an add-in card or not. are you saying if there is an add-in card, then the computer as it is cant run Windows 7?

The computer is old and garbage, we just dont have money for a new one right now so im trying to make do with it for as long as possible.

Thanks for the info.


Not at all. I'm saying if there is indeed an add-on hard drive controller card, it looks like you need to get drivers for it before you can install Windows 7. It's all speculation since I can't see the computer. 2GB of memory is good. That is also the maximum amount your board will take.
m
0
l
!