Sign in with
Your question

question of compatibility: motherboard and new PSU

Last response: in Components
September 18, 2006 10:04:43 PM

Hi, I'm new to this fine forum. I'm also new in general regarding pc hardware upgrades... the most experience i've had before today is "customizing" my Dell 4600 before checkout. haha. anyway, i decided to replace my old p.o.s. PSU with one of these:

Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply
http://www.antec.com/specs/NeoHE550_spe.html

but i can't figure out if it's compatible with my Dell Dimension 4600:

http://www.support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600/sm/techov.htm#1105652

I look at that page and no lightbulbs go off in my head.

Dell tech support said, "...if the dimensions and connector on power supply are same then you can add this part on system. (The connector of power supply to motherboard)," so could someone tell me if the connector would, uh, connect?

Also, something i noticed that worries me is this "Antec NeoHE 550 PSU" mentions having a PCI-Express "special connector" but there's no mention of an AGP connector. I have an AGP 8x slot and an "EVGA e-Geforce 7800 GS AGP" arriving in the mail: will the Antec PSU be able to connect to that? I think maybe AGP doesn't require a special connector, but has some kind of regular connector for it (is the word dongle?)... i may have answered my own question, but i don't know for sure.

Anyone want to clear this up for me? Hopefully you're fast readers and i haven't wasted too much of your time. :)  Thanks
September 19, 2006 1:27:17 AM

Quote:
Dell tech support said, "...if the dimensions and connector on power supply are same then you can add this part on system. (The connector of power supply to motherboard)," so could someone tell me if the connector would, uh, connect?

Check out the "DC Power Connector P1" section on the support page and compare it pin-by-pin to a typical 20-pin ATX connector - looks good to me.

What is funny is your spec shows a " DC Power Connector P4" but what does it plug into?? The motherboard shows the P1 connection to the "main power connector (J3J1)" and the P2 connector for the "microprocessor power connector (J5B1)" but don't see the P4 connector anywhere. Maybe it is just hanging off your current psu if you don't need it?

If that is the case then any psu that has the P1 and P2 connectors should work w/ your board. If it fits, and looking at a typical Dell Dimension 4600-compatible replacement psu says it is 5.9" W x 3.4" H x 5.5" D (which is close enough to standard ATX psu size) and noting the mounting screw placements it looks like a typical standard atx psu mounting pattern so any one should work.

The 7800 card should have a HDD type of power connector so you should be covered.
September 20, 2006 8:27:26 PM

Thanks for your replies!

Looking at the "typical 20-pin ATX connector" pinout, I see that pin #18 says "-5Vcd White", while on the Dell connector it is listed as "no connect". But I guess that doesn't matter.

I heard somewhere that Dell stopped using proprietary PSUs a few years ago. So I guess I'll go ahead and connect it unless somebody who knows i'm screwing up tries to stop me. ... anyone?

well, if you don't hear from me ever again it's because I died in an electrical fire.

Quote:
... but don't see the P4 connector anywhere. Maybe it is just hanging off your current psu if you don't need it?

yes, P4 is just hanging out in there without a purpose. It's kind of sad. If i was nice, i'd connect it to some legos or something. Nice and also retarded.
Related resources
September 21, 2006 4:58:24 AM

The post-2002 era Dell PCs should have the standard atx power connectors.

here is a pinout of the pre-2002 dell power connector duo, the 20-pin and the 6-pin aux, it is radically different. You have to scroll down toward the bottom, he rants a bit about since he hooked one up without checking...
Quote:
I thought the upgraded power supply I installed in one of my Dell systems was bad, especially considering the dramatic way it smoked when I turned the system on, I actually saw fire through the vents! Good thing I decided to check the color codes on the connectors and verify the pinout on another Dell system by using a voltmeter before I installed and fried a second supply.
!