Your question

Long Post Beware! Lots of Questions! 1st build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2006 12:31:15 AM

Sorry for the amount of writing???? But I've got you hooked now so don't change the channel.

My build so far...haven't purchased sway my decision!
P5N32 SLI SE Mobo $191 (Open Box lol) ~219* after rebate normal($191)
C2D 6400 CPU ($227)
Geil DDR 800 2x1gig set Ultra series "racing orange or whatever" ($289)
BFG 7600 GT 256mb DDR3 x2 in SLI ($144 apiece, 30 MIR on each so 288
228 after MIR's in 3-6 business yrs)
OS Microsoft Windows XP Home OES ($87.99)
PSU Antec Truepower TPII 550W ATX 12v "SLI Certified" ($89.99)
Case Cooler Master P.O.S. lol, the Centurion 5 VERY high reviews ($49.99
-$10.00
MIR)
HDD West Dig. 7,200 rpm 80 gb Sata ($43.99)
CD&DVD Burner NEC x16 ect ect.... ($27.99)
TOTAL : $1294.95 + Shipping and Handling = ~ $1345

Thats the basic thrust of my system, If I add on the cheap
(but highly reviewed Logitech 5.1 setup) speakers, my Logitech G5 Laser mouse, and $10 keyboard, then I'm at about
$1456.00 w/ extras out the door.

Needless to say I wanted to get a VX922 LCD monitor with this but I just don't really see it in the cards, so old CRT here I come baby.

My Budget was $1,500.00 I need this system before college term starts so I can't really wait for DX10 and vista or else I would. My main usage will be to play games, hopefully you already could tell that from my build, but eh, I'm a first timer So go easy on me.

The goal of this was to show my specs so far, and see if anyone could give me some most likely much needed and, heavily appreciated direction. I came to this setup without knowing anything about computers really, I have this setup only from reading articles, and reviews, and just wasting an inordinate amount of time browsing around on NEWEGG and Tomshardware guides haha.

I say I don't know anything about computers, but I've owned a ....well, HP 540n since like...well I don't really want to talk about it. it was a 1.6 ghz with 256 mb of Ram Hell yes!, That baby played CS:Source like a quadrapolegic in a jumprope contest. Honestly, it was like you had to "use the force" Feel where those people would be 30 minutes from now... Work by faith not by sight. Who likes Slideshows? I do! Lets not even go into the fact that for a very ...very long time I was using Dialup as well. Yea, I was that guy that had seizures when you shot him on the old hl1 games, and then got banned for having a ping of over like 6 billion. I did upgrade ram, and bought a dedicated graphics card from Nvidia, then ATI, just so I could play games, but I never was really "On the level"

Anyway, all sad stories aside I would just like any info you guys can spare, any tips, any pointers, any criticism, and hey ...any possible compliments for such an amazing build? *not likely but heres to hoping* Whatever you think I missed, just let me know. ALSO, I know I probably shouldn't be doing this, being so new, but I do plan to try my hand at OCing, not right away, but as my components age more and more, I'll definately give it a crack... what have I got to lose?

I had a few specific questions as well
1. Why are so many people opting out of SLI capable motherboards for single PCI:E Slot boards like the P5BW, was this due to better single card duel gpu solutions such as the 7950gx2? If it is just much better to go that route then let me know.
2. Is there a real difference between the C2D 6300 and the 6400, or could I just as easily by the 6300 and OC it to match the 6400, and If I went for OCing it to as far as I could, would the 6300 match the 6400, at the top end, or does there exist a real manufacturing difference in the 2 allendale cores besides the factory shipped clockrate 1.89 and 2.13 ghz respectively I think.
3. The dreaded... ATI VS NVIDIA question, I've done numerous reviews, and I know most of the time there is no solid answer but I figured I would throw this out there just to make people angry. In my other variations of a system spec I went for the 7950Gx2 for 499, but I haven't built a system with any ATI cards or chipsets on the MOBO, I just haven't seen any reviews that really point to ATI as a victor when it comes to price to performance ratio's at Mid range to Over the top cards. 7950gx2>x1900xtx (which if I was going to spend this much I would just get the 7950gx2)>7900gtx
7600gt SLI >X1600XT CF (NVIDIA was cheaper too)

Well I hope you had as much fun reading that as I did writing it, so Don't hold back those posts, let em rip! Thanks everyone.

More about : long post beware lots questions 1st build

September 19, 2006 7:01:04 AM

1st. I would go with the SLI 7600 GT setup which "Is not as fast as a x1900xtx " because it is a LOT cheaper. the X1900XTX is like $400, the cards I have are only $115 bucks apiece after MIR. $144 before. Total of $288 VS $400 ($228 vs $400) Its nearly %50 of the cost, but rating in top 15 card performance setups, at least to my knowledge. like card setup #11, in Toms own Charts. Also, these 2 non-expensive cards will be a lot more versatile getting rid of later on than the expensive 1st tier tech of that radeon card. Besides, I would always just go 100 more, for a 7950gx2 EVGA card because it IS the best single card on the market.
(I'm not trying to start a fight with this btw, if I'm wrong correct me)
2. Would the 6300 OC to the same point that a 6400 would? I'm not talking about taking it from 1.8 to 2.1, I'm talking OC it to the max, and oc the 6400 to the max, would the 6400 be able to be pushed higher, is there a justification in the price increase due to a difference in architechure *spelling?*, or would the 6300 be able to match it, They are both Allendales right?
September 19, 2006 10:47:54 AM

My thoughts on question 2:
a)
On an ideal MB, with no limit on the FSB, I would presume you can get both the 6300 and the 6400 to the same speed in GHz, because they have the same architecture. Of course, there are differences between CPUs, even if they are the same model, so luck is also involved in the equation.
b)
If (better said "when") you hit the max FSB that the MB can take, of course the 6400 will be clocked higher than the 6300, because of the higher multiplier.

Your result will be a combination of a) and b), depending on the MB and CPU you get, because either the CPU or the MB will not like more MHz after a certain point.

A question from me: Why are you getting such a small capacity HDD?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 19, 2006 9:02:17 PM

Thanks for the info on OCing, as for the hard drive question, Storage doesn't really matter to me, I can live without the ability to store tons of music, movies, programs, ect, but I can't live with another slow computer. When I thought about where to spend my 1,500 it really came down to 4 core things, Mobo, CPU, Mem, and GPU. Since those are what really determine the performance of the comp. I believe that after grabbing a sufficient PSU, everything else is just extras, well... I need the rest to operate, but you know what I mean. I also have 100 and 120 gig hard drives laying around also, not fast, but enough storage for me. Its like this, If the computer I was building was a car, it would be the ugliest most uncomfortable damn ride you have ever seen, but it would be fast.
September 19, 2006 9:24:15 PM

I made much longer posts. Then again I was dishing out info instead of asking for info.

Quote:
1. Why are so many people opting out of SLI capable motherboards for single PCI:E Slot boards like the P5BW, was this due to better single card duel gpu solutions such as the 7950gx2? If it is just much better to go that route then let me know.

Unless you are going for a top end solution, SLI does not make sense. Going for 7600GT SLI is not much better than a single 7900GT, but it will cost more. Also, when you plan on doing SLI greatly influences if doing SLI is feasible. Since DX10 card are coming many people are simply sticking in a 7600GT to hold them over until the DX10 GPUs are available.

Quote:

2. Is there a real difference between the C2D 6300 and the 6400, or could I just as easily by the 6300 and OC it to match the 6400, and If I went for OCing it to as far as I could, would the 6300 match the 6400, at the top end, or does there exist a real manufacturing difference in the 2 allendale cores besides the factory shipped clockrate 1.89 and 2.13 ghz respectively I think.

Other than the difference in clockspeed there is no difference. When OCing, the E6400 could end up faster than the E6300 since it starts out with a larger multiplier. However, not all CPUs (even of the same model) will overclock the same. It depends on the other hardware used, and also involves a bit of luck too.

Quote:

3. The dreaded... ATI VS NVIDIA question, I've done numerous reviews, and I know most of the time there is no solid answer but I figured I would throw this out there just to make people angry. In my other variations of a system spec I went for the 7950Gx2 for 499, but I haven't built a system with any ATI cards or chipsets on the MOBO, I just haven't seen any reviews that really point to ATI as a victor when it comes to price to performance ratio's at Mid range to Over the top cards. 7950gx2>x1900xtx (which if I was going to spend this much I would just get the 7950gx2)>7900gtx
7600gt SLI >X1600XT CF (NVIDIA was cheaper too)

It all depends on what games you play. I bought an ATI X1900XT because I want to play Oblivion. Oblivion performs better on ATI GPUs. nVidia performs better in games like Doom 3 and Quake 4. In the end it boils down to preference. However, in my opinion ATI rules the highend GPUs, nVidia rules the mainstream and budget in terms of performance.
September 19, 2006 10:36:20 PM

Three things:

1. Don't go for SLI, you only get SLI if you buy a high end card like the 7900 GTX or X1900XT. You can get a 7900 GS for about $200 or so, like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

2. Get a bigger hard drive. You might say you won't need a lot, but having the extra storage gives you good headroom and ensures you'll have enough space for any future games you may install or Vista (If you plan on paying a ridiculous $200+ for it) I suggest a 160 ~ 200 GB drive, they're about $60 to $80. Are you really going to miss that $20-30?

3. The RAM you're getting is a bit expensive, even after considering todays pricing. I checked newegg and they have DDR2 RAM (same speed as yours, 800) that's cheaper. I might be wrong on this, you might want to ask someone else about this too. $289 is simply too much to pay for RAM.
September 19, 2006 10:56:09 PM

Quote:
Three things:

1. Don't go for SLI, you only get SLI if you buy a high end card like the 7900 GTX or X1900XT. You can get a 7900 GS for about $200 or so, like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Crossfire and SLI are not the same. Two X1900XT will require a Crossfire motherboard, not a SLI motherboard.
September 20, 2006 6:04:00 AM

SLI is worthless for the VX922 monitor. The highest resolution that monitor will go is 1280 x 1024. If you read any of the other posts around these forums you will see that no one recommends a SLI setup without having a monitor that does 1600x1200 minimum. Just get 1 good single cardl.