HP DJ 510 - printing problem

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 9, 2005 12:22:01 AM

Hi, I'd like to install my old DeskJet 510 on WinXP.
The printer doesn't print correctly. It prints some strange characters
(one line per page).
Self-Test works correctly. I tried to change Bios LPT settings to EPP
and ECP.
LPT cable is not broken.
The problem is the same under Win98.
Anyone knows what's wrong with it?
Cheers
Chris

P.S. www.hp.com doesn't support help for 500 series printers :(
P.P.S. There are also 16 small swithes - I don't know what for.

More about : 510 printing problem

September 9, 2005 9:55:50 AM

krzyg <gientke@wp.pl.invalid> wrote:
>Hi, I'd like to install my old DeskJet 510 on WinXP.
>The printer doesn't print correctly. It prints some strange characters
>(one line per page).
>Self-Test works correctly. I tried to change Bios LPT settings to EPP
>and ECP.
>LPT cable is not broken.
>The problem is the same under Win98.
>Anyone knows what's wrong with it?
>Cheers
>Chris
>
>P.S. www.hp.com doesn't support help for 500 series printers :(
>P.P.S. There are also 16 small swithes - I don't know what for.

Chris I have looked for the dip switch settings for this printer but could not
find them. I suggest you go to www.fixyourownprinter.com and log in (free) and
post a message on their forum. I would be surprised if that does not get you
the information.
If you are saying that the printer behaves the same on two different operating
systems that have the HP drivers loaded then either the switches are
incorrectly set or you have a failed logic board on the printer.
Tony
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 12:07:54 PM

Tony napisa³(a):
> Chris I have looked for the dip switch settings for this printer but could not
> find them. I suggest you go to www.fixyourownprinter.com and log in (free) and
> post a message on their forum. I would be surprised if that does not get you
> the information.
> If you are saying that the printer behaves the same on two different operating
> systems that have the HP drivers loaded then either the switches are
> incorrectly set or you have a failed logic board on the printer.
> Tony

Thanks! I'll try with www.fixyourownprinter.com.
But! What do I think about is that LPT port (or generally parallel
ports) is set incorrectly under Windows.
I've just printed out some text file under DOS by using

copy test.txt lpt1

and it works! It seems that Windows is not able to manage LPT port.
Related resources
September 9, 2005 12:07:55 PM

krzyg <gientke@wp.pl.invalid> wrote:
>Tony napisa³(a):
>> Chris I have looked for the dip switch settings for this printer but could
>>not
>> find them. I suggest you go to www.fixyourownprinter.com and log in (free)
>>and
>> post a message on their forum. I would be surprised if that does not get you
>> the information.
>> If you are saying that the printer behaves the same on two different
>>operating
>> systems that have the HP drivers loaded then either the switches are
>> incorrectly set or you have a failed logic board on the printer.
>> Tony
>
>Thanks! I'll try with www.fixyourownprinter.com.
>But! What do I think about is that LPT port (or generally parallel
>ports) is set incorrectly under Windows.
>I've just printed out some text file under DOS by using
>
>copy test.txt lpt1
>
>and it works! It seems that Windows is not able to manage LPT port.

Good that it works under DOS that means the printer is working.
Have you tried it on a different computer? And have you made sure that you are
using the HP drivers instead of the Windows XP drivers?
Tony
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 12:36:28 PM

Tony napisa³(a):

> Good that it works under DOS that means the printer is working.
> Have you tried it on a different computer? And have you made sure that you are
> using the HP drivers instead of the Windows XP drivers?
> Tony

I haven't tested it on other computer but I'll try.
HP doesn't support drivers for 500 series - they only explain how to use
Windows drivers.
500 series printers is out of their service.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 11:54:35 PM

"krzyg" <gientke@wp.pl.invalid> wrote in message
news:D fr8sm$ov$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl...

> But! What do I think about is that LPT port (or generally parallel ports) is
> set incorrectly under Windows.
> I've just printed out some text file under DOS by using
>
> copy test.txt lpt1
>
> and it works! It seems that Windows is not able to manage LPT port.

You mentioned previously using ECP and EPP port selections in your BIOS. You
might try SPP if that is an option. My recollection is that some of the old
(or in this case, very very old) printers could not handle the higher speeds of
ECP or EPP.

Regards,
September 10, 2005 11:05:41 PM

Tony napisa³(a):

> Chris I have looked for the dip switch settings for this printer but
could not find them. I suggest you go to www.fixyourownprinter.com and
log in (free) and post a message on their forum. I would be surprised if
that does not get you the information.
> If you are saying that the printer behaves the same on two different
operating systems that have the HP drivers loaded then either the
switches are incorrectly set or you have a failed logic board on the
printer.
> Tony

I've found this:
http://thethin.net/whitepapers/ultimate_printer_manual/...
There's DJ 520 but it's very similar to my 510.
In the middle of this page, there are some configurations of that switches.
Can somebody help me with setting it up correctly? Which configuration
is 'safe'?
Cheers
September 11, 2005 2:17:19 AM

krzyg <gientke@wp.pl.invalid> wrote:
>Tony napisa³(a):
>

> > Chris I have looked for the dip switch settings for this printer but
>could not find them. I suggest you go to www.fixyourownprinter.com and
>log in (free) and post a message on their forum. I would be surprised if
>that does not get you the information.
> > If you are saying that the printer behaves the same on two different
>operating systems that have the HP drivers loaded then either the
>switches are incorrectly set or you have a failed logic board on the
>printer.
> > Tony
>

>I've found this:
>http://thethin.net/whitepapers/ultimate_printer_manual/...
>There's DJ 520 but it's very similar to my 510.
>In the middle of this page, there are some configurations of that switches.
>Can somebody help me with setting it up correctly? Which configuration
>is 'safe'?
>Cheers

Keep it simple and use the defaults.
Bank A
1,2,3,4 down
5,6 down (US letter) or 5 down,6 up (A4)
7 down
8 up

Bank B
1,2 up