Satellite PVR card?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Hiya, all.

I started building my HTPC around the E6400 CPU.
I have the ASRock 775-VSTA, 1GB of DDR400, ATI AIW 9800 PRO, Audigy card, 300GB HD, and a DVD burner.

I wanted to know if Windows MCE or XP Pro would make a difference, and if anyone has used Hauppauge! WinTV-PVR 150? I have a satellite dish, and would like to use something that would allow me to use my set top box. I know I can use the AIW, but I cannot change channels with it, since it's not compatible with my satellite box.

Anyone know of a good satellite card that can be used as a PVR?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
As long as you are using the sat box then any tuner card will work. Just plug the box into the tuner like you would your tv. Leave the tuner on the preset channel. Ussualy 3 or 4. Or if it runs through the AV cables then leave the tuner card set to use those inputs. And use the Sat remote.

Yes, that's my original concept, but I was wondering if there was a way to use the PVR card's IR remote to control the sat. set top, and be able to record thru the PVR card, also.

If I have no choice, since it's a pain to get something with satellite compatiblity, then I will just route through the AIW Pro.

Thanks.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I don't know of any tuner card that comes with a universal remote. So you will have to use the sat remote.

Hrmph. Damn.

Well, thanks for the advice.

I will just use my AIW card, until I can find a suitable replacement.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
As long as you are using the sat box then any tuner card will work. Just plug the box into the tuner like you would your tv. Leave the tuner on the preset channel. Ussualy 3 or 4. Or if it runs through the AV cables then leave the tuner card set to use those inputs. And use the Sat remote.

Yes, that's my original concept, but I was wondering if there was a way to use the PVR card's IR remote to control the sat. set top, and be able to record thru the PVR card, also.

If I have no choice, since it's a pain to get something with satellite compatiblity, then I will just route through the AIW Pro.

Thanks.

You absolutely can. The PVR-150 comes with an IR Blaster-type attachement (I have one) that you stick to your satellite reciever box. It will then take the code from your PVR remote and translate it to a set top box code. I'm not sure exactly how it works (don't know what drivers/config files/IR commands you would need), but the PVR-150 has the hardware with it to do it.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Thanks.

You absolutely can. The PVR-150 comes with an IR Blaster-type attachement (I have one) that you stick to your satellite reciever box. It will then take the code from your PVR remote and translate it to a set top box code. I'm not sure exactly how it works (don't know what drivers/config files/IR commands you would need), but the PVR-150 has the hardware with it to do it.

Sweet. Thanks.

I saw the PVR-150 for $99 bucks at CompUSA. Maybe I'll check online for a better deal. I read the box, and it said the same thing you said, but I wasn't sure if it would actually work.

Thanks again.