Epson 950 clogged - is it time to scrap it?

Hi,
I have an Epson Stylus Photo 950 about 18 months old - it got used fairly
intensely for few days at a time then long rest period, but in the past has
always managed to print a perfect nozzle test sheet whenever I needed to use
it again. However, now it appears clogged - I've done numerous cleaning
cycles, used cleaning cartridges which incidentally appear to show printer
working correctly albeit fainter print due to cleaning fluid, but when I
replace with normal inks (aftermarket) the jets appear blocked. With extra
cleaning I can get some of the colours back but not all. I recently bought
another full set of cartridges at a cost of 50 pounds - supposed to be
superior quality aftermarket product - Cartridge World - and put them in
directly after cleaning cartridges but they have fared no better and I've
nearly emptied them with cleaning cycles. Is it time to scrap what
was/probably still could be a super photo printer or is there still hope for
it.

Dave
16 answers Last reply
More about epson clogged time scrap

    Try some Genuine Epson cartridges. I have had similar results with
    compatibles and the genuine cartridges always solve the problem. The best
    compatibles I found were Print-Rite (and as it happens, they were also the
    cheapest). They're not so good as the genuine, but certainly worth a look.

    www.tonezoneuk.com
    Print-Rite Cartridge = £1.95
    Genuine Epson Cartridge = £9.95

    With regular use the Print-Rite perform fairly well so if you use them a lot
    they will definately save you money, but if you use the printer
    infrequently, then they will clog.

    I left Genuine Epson cartridges in my 950 for 3 months whilst I toured
    Australia and upon my return the printer only needed a single clean to
    perform perfect prints.

    When cleaning, and when not in use, make sure that the paper thickness is
    set to normal.

    --
    Mick Doherty
    http://dotnetrix.co.uk/nothing.html

    "Dave Stolting" <davestolting@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have an Epson Stylus Photo 950 about 18 months old - it got used fairly
    > intensely for few days at a time then long rest period, but in the past
    > has always managed to print a perfect nozzle test sheet whenever I needed
    > to use it again. However, now it appears clogged - I've done numerous
    > cleaning cycles, used cleaning cartridges which incidentally appear to
    > show printer working correctly albeit fainter print due to cleaning fluid,
    > but when I replace with normal inks (aftermarket) the jets appear blocked.
    > With extra cleaning I can get some of the colours back but not all. I
    > recently bought another full set of cartridges at a cost of 50 pounds -
    > supposed to be superior quality aftermarket product - Cartridge World -
    > and put them in directly after cleaning cartridges but they have fared no
    > better and I've nearly emptied them with cleaning cycles. Is it time to
    > scrap what was/probably still could be a super photo printer or is there
    > still hope for it.
    >
    > Dave

    Try giving Art (Arthur Entlich) an email at e-printerhelp@mvps.org
    requesting his free cleaning instructions.

    You'll see his post up and down these pages.

    Davy

    Hi Michael,

    I had thought of doing that but it's a big expense if the problem is still
    there. I could buy another printer for the cost of a set of Epson original
    cartridges!

    Dave

    "Michael Doherty"
    <EXCHANGE#WITH@AND.REMOVE.SQUAREBRACKETS.[mdaudi100#ntlworld.com]> wrote in
    message news:Mh0Ue.5007$zw1.768@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
    > Try some Genuine Epson cartridges. I have had similar results with
    > compatibles and the genuine cartridges always solve the problem. The best
    > compatibles I found were Print-Rite (and as it happens, they were also the
    > cheapest). They're not so good as the genuine, but certainly worth a look.
    >
    > www.tonezoneuk.com
    > Print-Rite Cartridge = £1.95
    > Genuine Epson Cartridge = £9.95
    >
    > With regular use the Print-Rite perform fairly well so if you use them a
    > lot they will definately save you money, but if you use the printer
    > infrequently, then they will clog.
    >
    > I left Genuine Epson cartridges in my 950 for 3 months whilst I toured
    > Australia and upon my return the printer only needed a single clean to
    > perform perfect prints.
    >
    > When cleaning, and when not in use, make sure that the paper thickness is
    > set to normal.
    >
    > --
    > Mick Doherty
    > http://dotnetrix.co.uk/nothing.html
    >

    > "Dave Stolting" <davestolting@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I have an Epson Stylus Photo 950 about 18 months old - it got used fairly
    >> intensely for few days at a time then long rest period, but in the past
    >> has always managed to print a perfect nozzle test sheet whenever I needed
    >> to use it again. However, now it appears clogged - I've done numerous
    >> cleaning cycles, used cleaning cartridges which incidentally appear to
    >> show printer working correctly albeit fainter print due to cleaning
    >> fluid, but when I replace with normal inks (aftermarket) the jets appear
    >> blocked. With extra cleaning I can get some of the colours back but not
    >> all. I recently bought another full set of cartridges at a cost of 50
    >> pounds - supposed to be superior quality aftermarket product - Cartridge
    >> World - and put them in directly after cleaning cartridges but they have
    >> fared no better and I've nearly emptied them with cleaning cycles. Is it
    >> time to scrap what was/probably still could be a super photo printer or
    >> is there still hope for it.
    >>
    >> Dave

    Hi Davy,
    Thanks for that, I'll email Art right away.

    I've just been looking at Laser printers on eBay and thinking maybe a colour
    laser may be a safer option, they've certainly come down a lot in price.

    Dave

    "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Try giving Art (Arthur Entlich) an email at e-printerhelp@mvps.org
    > requesting his free cleaning instructions.
    >
    > You'll see his post up and down these pages.
    >
    > Davy

    I was looking for a new inkjet peinter to replace the dreaded C62 and
    came across a Samsung ML1510 mono laser for £54 (UK) inc delivery -
    brand new and 12 months warrenty from Dabs Computers in Bolton UK.

    I could'nt resist, it turned out a sheer workhorse....! I use it for
    making printed circuit bord designs using 'toner transfer film', the
    stuff you kinda iron on after printing to melt the toner it does a
    super job.

    It's also the main document printer, and get this...l.o.l, the printer
    I got was £54 including about £5 delivery charge - the toner and drum
    assembley is about £60 to replace.

    To date I have refilled this two or three times for about £12 using
    toner refill bottles, it's still going strong and will be refillable
    as long as the drum holds out which is part of the toner unit.

    The refill is simply an end cap that comes off, with the kit I got
    they even send you a replacement push on cap.

    If you want an idea of refillable printers, have a look at this site
    it may give you some ideas-: http://www.refill-toner.co.uk/index.htm

    Colour lasers are OK for graphics and leaflets but for photography I
    think the inkjet is far better.

    You can't use normal 'glossy' photo paper on laser's the heat from the
    rollor will cause it to jam, but you can get glossy paper suitable for
    laser's.

    I use the Canon ip5000 it's a super all round printer, the text being
    as good as the laser.

    Davy

    Hi Davy,

    Thanks for the info - I had considered going over to Canon but I was under
    the impression that they like Epson have their problems with clogging. I
    really need a printer that works when I want it to with none of the fiddling
    around cleaning print heads etc. Not to mention the wastage of ink with
    every clean. The laser mono sounds cheap enough but I'm still left needing
    something for my photographs that's going to be reliable.

    >I was looking for a new inkjet peinter to replace the dreaded C62 and
    > came across a Samsung ML1510 mono laser for £54 (UK) inc delivery -
    > brand new and 12 months warrenty from Dabs Computers in Bolton UK.
    >
    > I could'nt resist, it turned out a sheer workhorse....! I use it for
    > making printed circuit bord designs using 'toner transfer film', the
    > stuff you kinda iron on after printing to melt the toner it does a
    > super job.
    >
    > It's also the main document printer, and get this...l.o.l, the printer
    > I got was £54 including about £5 delivery charge - the toner and drum
    > assembley is about £60 to replace.
    >
    > To date I have refilled this two or three times for about £12 using
    > toner refill bottles, it's still going strong and will be refillable
    > as long as the drum holds out which is part of the toner unit.
    >
    > The refill is simply an end cap that comes off, with the kit I got
    > they even send you a replacement push on cap.
    >
    > If you want an idea of refillable printers, have a look at this site
    > it may give you some ideas-: http://www.refill-toner.co.uk/index.htm
    >
    > Colour lasers are OK for graphics and leaflets but for photography I
    > think the inkjet is far better.
    >
    > You can't use normal 'glossy' photo paper on laser's the heat from the
    > rollor will cause it to jam, but you can get glossy paper suitable for
    > laser's.
    >
    > I use the Canon ip5000 it's a super all round printer, the text being
    > as good as the laser.
    >
    > Davy

    Canon reputation is that it clogs less than Epson. I have a Canon i960 in
    which I use MIS bulk ink to refill carts. One year without any clogs or the
    need to run a cleaning cycle other than the ones the printer does on its
    own. All inkjet printers will eventually clog, either with a period of
    sitting idle or simply after time when some dried ink builds up under the
    print head. With HP printers you get a new print head when you change the
    carts as they are built into the cart. An expensive solution, but a good
    one if you don't print often. My printer has been idle for a few weeks at a
    time with no problems so far.

    I had an Epson Stylus Color 900 that started clogging after a few years. (I
    used only Epson inks.) The first several months after I bought it, it was
    hardly used but presented no problems. It started banding during a period
    of heavy use two years later and I fixed it by using Arthur Entlich's
    instructions. All clogs are not fatal.

    My perspective now is that with the Canon and aftermarket inks I save enough
    money refilling the canon carts so that I can buy two printers or more with
    the savings by the time my present unit fails. With the Canon ip4000
    selling presently for about $100 US that makes a lot of sense to me.
    > Hi Davy,
    >
    > Thanks for the info - I had considered going over to Canon but I was under
    > the impression that they like Epson have their problems with clogging. I
    > really need a printer that works when I want it to with none of the
    > fiddling around cleaning print heads etc. Not to mention the wastage of
    > ink with every clean. The laser mono sounds cheap enough but I'm still
    > left needing something for my photographs that's going to be reliable.
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >>I was looking for a new inkjet peinter to replace the dreaded C62 and
    >> came across a Samsung ML1510 mono laser for £54 (UK) inc delivery -
    >> brand new and 12 months warrenty from Dabs Computers in Bolton UK.
    >>
    >> I could'nt resist, it turned out a sheer workhorse....! I use it for
    >> making printed circuit bord designs using 'toner transfer film', the
    >> stuff you kinda iron on after printing to melt the toner it does a
    >> super job.
    >>
    >> It's also the main document printer, and get this...l.o.l, the printer
    >> I got was £54 including about £5 delivery charge - the toner and drum
    >> assembley is about £60 to replace.
    >>
    >> To date I have refilled this two or three times for about £12 using
    >> toner refill bottles, it's still going strong and will be refillable
    >> as long as the drum holds out which is part of the toner unit.
    >>
    >> The refill is simply an end cap that comes off, with the kit I got
    >> they even send you a replacement push on cap.
    >>
    >> If you want an idea of refillable printers, have a look at this site
    >> it may give you some ideas-: http://www.refill-toner.co.uk/index.htm
    >>
    >> Colour lasers are OK for graphics and leaflets but for photography I
    >> think the inkjet is far better.
    >>
    >> You can't use normal 'glossy' photo paper on laser's the heat from the
    >> rollor will cause it to jam, but you can get glossy paper suitable for
    >> laser's.
    >>
    >> I use the Canon ip5000 it's a super all round printer, the text being
    >> as good as the laser.
    >>
    >> Davy

    Since the heads all print with the cleaning cartridges in place, I would
    assume that it is a cartridge problem rather than a printer problem. I found
    that some 3rd party inks never print, some print for a few days and then
    appear clogged when in fact they are empty, and some need a good firm push
    into position to make sure the o-ring seals. The Genuine cartridges never
    need any special handling and so far have always resuscitated my 950, but I
    understand your point about the extortionate cost of the genuine cartridges.

    I sometimes think that Epson drivers deliberately mis-print non epson
    cartridges, but I'm sure that's not really the case.

    --

    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > I had thought of doing that but it's a big expense if the problem is still
    > there. I could buy another printer for the cost of a set of Epson
    > original cartridges!
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Michael Doherty"
    > <EXCHANGE#WITH@AND.REMOVE.SQUAREBRACKETS.[mdaudi100#ntlworld.com]> wrote
    > in message news:Mh0Ue.5007$zw1.768@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
    >> Try some Genuine Epson cartridges. I have had similar results with
    >> compatibles and the genuine cartridges always solve the problem. The best
    >> compatibles I found were Print-Rite (and as it happens, they were also
    >> the cheapest). They're not so good as the genuine, but certainly worth a
    >> look.
    >>
    >> www.tonezoneuk.com
    >> Print-Rite Cartridge = £1.95
    >> Genuine Epson Cartridge = £9.95
    >>
    >> With regular use the Print-Rite perform fairly well so if you use them a
    >> lot they will definately save you money, but if you use the printer
    >> infrequently, then they will clog.
    >>
    >> I left Genuine Epson cartridges in my 950 for 3 months whilst I toured
    >> Australia and upon my return the printer only needed a single clean to
    >> perform perfect prints.
    >>
    >> When cleaning, and when not in use, make sure that the paper thickness is
    >> set to normal.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mick Doherty
    >> http://dotnetrix.co.uk/nothing.html
    >>

    >> "Dave Stolting" <davestolting@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I have an Epson Stylus Photo 950 about 18 months old - it got used
    >>> fairly intensely for few days at a time then long rest period, but in
    >>> the past has always managed to print a perfect nozzle test sheet
    >>> whenever I needed to use it again. However, now it appears clogged -
    >>> I've done numerous cleaning cycles, used cleaning cartridges which
    >>> incidentally appear to show printer working correctly albeit fainter
    >>> print due to cleaning fluid, but when I replace with normal inks
    >>> (aftermarket) the jets appear blocked. With extra cleaning I can get
    >>> some of the colours back but not all. I recently bought another full
    >>> set of cartridges at a cost of 50 pounds - supposed to be superior
    >>> quality aftermarket product - Cartridge World - and put them in directly
    >>> after cleaning cartridges but they have fared no better and I've nearly
    >>> emptied them with cleaning cycles. Is it time to scrap what
    >>> was/probably still could be a super photo printer or is there still hope
    >>> for it.
    >>>
    >>> Dave

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:28:44 GMT, "Michael Doherty"
    wrote:

    ||>Try some Genuine Epson cartridges. I have had similar results with
    ||>compatibles and the genuine cartridges always solve the problem. The best
    ||>compatibles I found were Print-Rite (and as it happens, they were also the
    ||>cheapest). They're not so good as the genuine, but certainly worth a look.
    ||>
    ||>www.tonezoneuk.com
    ||>Print-Rite Cartridge = £1.95
    ||>Genuine Epson Cartridge = £9.95
    ||>
    ||>With regular use the Print-Rite perform fairly well so if you use them a lot
    ||>they will definately save you money, but if you use the printer
    ||>infrequently, then they will clog.
    ||>
    ||>I left Genuine Epson cartridges in my 950 for 3 months whilst I toured
    ||>Australia and upon my return the printer only needed a single clean to
    ||>perform perfect prints.
    ||>
    ||>When cleaning, and when not in use, make sure that the paper thickness is
    ||>set to normal.

    I have had an Epson Photo 950 for some time and very pleased with the
    quality. Occasionally but not often a Jet will clog, as you are aware
    they are part of the printer not the cartridge.

    Buying many Epson printers over the years as I have upgraded,
    experience has taught me, whatever you read on newsgroups or TV and
    press, Epson's do not like compatible cartridges or refilled ones.

    Would you buy a quality car and put cheepo oil in it?

    If you remove the Cartridge from the offending Jet and put a few drops
    of good old window cleaning liquid in the exposed top of the Jet it
    will soak through and clear it.

    Please do not use the Creamy window cleaner only the Blue liquid one.
    I imagine by now the foam strip under the heads must be flooded by
    now, carefully prise it out and give it a good wash, be prepared for a
    messy job.

    Good luck

    Burt is 100% correct.

    I was very doubtful about getting a Canon simply because all I knew
    was clog after clog after clogs with the Epson and high ink usage.

    I intended to get a Canon to replace my C62 and was freightful about
    getting the ip5000..."finer heads = more clogs", I took the bait and
    ended up with a ip5000 because I'm more into graphics and text and
    yet I wanted the good photo.

    It's over 3 monthe old now, not one single head clog nor manual head
    clean required to date...! The text is as good as the laser and it's
    just as fast after the laser warm up time.

    Epson waste ink Canon uses ink that's one big difference, the tanks
    are not chipped (but watch out the newer ones like the ip4100 are I
    beleive), they are clear so you can see the ink inside and easy to
    refill, something I have yet to try.

    But after 'The curse of Epson' clog after clog you are forced to use
    3rd party ink and refill's because of the waste and expense, I'm so
    pleased with the performance of the Canon I've stuck with OEM ink,
    for the time being at least, I'm sure it's easy to see why after
    such bad experience.

    The first Epson clogged on the 2nd day, the heads went and the
    replacement clogged on the 4th - all with Epson ink, so after the
    replacement started to play up I used third party ink to save money.

    You get a problem with the Canon print head and it's easily replaced,
    it's easy just drop the assembley in and clicking a locking lever
    and let it do an automatic alignment, which takes a few minutes,
    don't be alarmed the paper literally dissappears for a moment or two,
    you just wait till its all done, then it's ready for use.

    With the Epsons I had to check each print even if it was a text page,
    with the Canon I don't need to.

    I think Burt will correct me here, but if you are into refilling make
    sure you use 'formalated ink', formualted for the Canon and same with
    ready filled cartridges as opposed to universal ones - I'm new on this
    and yet to learn.

    You can say I've been Canonised...!

    Davy

    On 09-Sep-05 09:57, Burt wrote:
    > Canon reputation is that it clogs less than Epson. I have a Canon i960 in
    > which I use MIS bulk ink to refill carts. One year without any clogs or the

    Because they use only dye inks.
    However, Canon seems to be behind the competition in terms
    of longevity of their prints. I observed after only one year
    drastic fading of images on the glossy Photo Paper Plus,
    all genuine Canon, all very expensive.

    Thus, give it some consideration before you will give up
    Epson, because... non Epson made inks clog your printer!!
    There is no logic in "saving" on ink and trash the printer.

    Thomas

> [...]
    >>>
    >>>The refill is simply an end cap that comes off, with the kit I got
    >>>they even send you a replacement push on cap.
    >>>
    >>>If you want an idea of refillable printers, have a look at this site
    >>>it may give you some ideas-: http://www.refill-toner.co.uk/index.htm
    >>>
    >>>Colour lasers are OK for graphics and leaflets but for photography I
    >>>think the inkjet is far better.
    >>>
    >>>You can't use normal 'glossy' photo paper on laser's the heat from the
    >>>rollor will cause it to jam, but you can get glossy paper suitable for
    >>>laser's.
    >>>
    >>>I use the Canon ip5000 it's a super all round printer, the text being
    >>>as good as the laser.
    >>>
    >>>Davy

    > Thus, give it some consideration before you will give up
    > Epson, because... non Epson made inks clog your printer!!
    > There is no logic in "saving" on ink and trash the printer.

    If the printer costs $100 and the ink costs $70 and the bulk ink costs
    $18 for the same amount, you save $52 each refill so after the 2nd
    refill even if it thrashes your printer and you have to buy a new
    printer... well you saved 4 dollars, not taking into account the fact
    that the value of the ink that comes with the new printer. Even if you
    only save $35 each refill and you make it to your 3rd refill and even
    if you have to buy a new printer... you saved $5.00 not taking into
    account the fact that the new printer comes with ink which you could
    use or sell. Cost when it comes right down to it is a very logical
    consideration... it's not the only one but trashing a printer won't
    automaticly happen with 3rd party inks, not if you pick something
    others have good experence with, and even if it shortens your printer
    life, the savings is so high it's easily justified even if the printer
    eventaully gets trashed.

    I've done the math many times for the printers i've owned, even shared
    it here so others can make an informed choice. But in the case of many
    epsons, the real bitch of it is, they clog rather easily on their own
    ink.

    > > Canon reputation is that it clogs less than Epson. I have a Canon i960
    > > in which I use MIS bulk ink to refill carts. One year without any clogs or > > the

    > Because they use only dye inks.

    i960 yes dye only. ip3000/4000/5000 use a big arse pigmented black as
    well as other dyes.

    But... my recent r200 showed me that Epson is perfectly happy to clog
    on dye. I have needed a deep cleaning on one canon after the 4th refil
    of 3rd party ink.. it was the cyan which was dye. The pigment black is
    still 100% had has never been cleaned or deep cleaned I don't know if
    this is better or worse than OEM. My epson r200 clogged on the OEM ink
    it came with. But given the fact that the 4th refill represents a value
    $200ish and the cost of the head is $60ish... and the fact that I don't
    need a new head yet, gotta say it's a very logical choice.

    There are good reasons to pick OEM ink in many cases, but cost doesn't
    really enter into the picture.

    > ThomasHwrote:
    Quote:

    > Thus, give it some consideration before you will give up
    > Epson, because... non Epson made inks clog your printer!!
    > There is no logic in "saving" on ink and trash the printer.

    Why did my Epson clog with Epson ink then?, I don't grow icicles, I
    don't use it next to an oven in a bakery and it's not in direct
    sunlight.

    I would'nt touch Epson with a barge pole and I would advise against
    buying overpriced Epson ink just to be flushed and wasted.

    If you wanna keep a piccy the way to do it is to store it on a disc.

    The argument is clearly, using overpriced ink which is wasted and a
    lasting picture or a printer that is economical to run that uses ink
    instead of wasting it with 100% print every time.

    If it clogs bet ya its an Epson and not a Canon

    Davy

    My old Epson stylus 900 and, as I recall, the OP's Epson 950 are dye based
    ink printers. They both clogged with OEM ink. As I mentioned in my
    long period of time or after a lot of use that eventually causes a buildup
    of dried ink under the printhead. My Canon prints are either framed behind
    glass or are in albums and haven't visably faded in a year, but longevity of
    prints is generally measured in terms considerably more than a year and all
    the research I've seen reported rates Canon prints as having less longevity
    than others. Nonetheless, the prints are great and I'm very happy with
    them. If you need the greatest longevity you will have to go with one of
    the higher priced Pigment based ink Epsons and deal with occasional clogs.
    That is why most graphics and photo professionals use the higher end Epsons.

    "ThomasH" <henrymot@coco.net> wrote in message
    > On 09-Sep-05 09:57, Burt wrote:
    >> Canon reputation is that it clogs less than Epson. I have a Canon i960
    >> in which I use MIS bulk ink to refill carts. One year without any clogs
    >> or the
    >
    > Because they use only dye inks.
    > However, Canon seems to be behind the competition in terms
    > of longevity of their prints. I observed after only one year
    > drastic fading of images on the glossy Photo Paper Plus,
    > all genuine Canon, all very expensive.
    >
    > Thus, give it some consideration before you will give up
    > Epson, because... non Epson made inks clog your printer!!
    > There is no logic in "saving" on ink and trash the printer.
    >
    > Thomas
    >
    >> need to run a cleaning cycle other than the ones the printer does on its
    >> own. All inkjet printers will eventually clog, either with a period of
    >> sitting idle or simply after time when some dried ink builds up under the
    >> print head. With HP printers you get a new print head when you change
    >> the carts as they are built into the cart. An expensive solution, but a
    >> good one if you don't print often. My printer has been idle for a few
    >> weeks at a time with no problems so far.
    >>
    >> I had an Epson Stylus Color 900 that started clogging after a few years.
    >> (I used only Epson inks.) The first several months after I bought it, it
    >> was hardly used but presented no problems. It started banding during a
    >> period of heavy use two years later and I fixed it by using Arthur
    >> Entlich's instructions. All clogs are not fatal.
    >>
    >> My perspective now is that with the Canon and aftermarket inks I save
    >> enough money refilling the canon carts so that I can buy two printers or
    >> more with the savings by the time my present unit fails. With the Canon
    >> ip4000 selling presently for about $100 US that makes a lot of sense to
    >> me.
    >> "Dave Stolting" <davestolting@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi Davy,
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for the info - I had considered going over to Canon but I was
    >>>under the impression that they like Epson have their problems with
    >>>clogging. I really need a printer that works when I want it to with none
    >>>of the fiddling around cleaning print heads etc. Not to mention the
    >>>wastage of ink with every clean. The laser mono sounds cheap enough but
    >>>I'm still left needing something for my photographs that's going to be
    >>>reliable.
    >>>
    >>>Dave
    >>>

    >>>"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message

    Hi Guys,

    Just wanted to say thanks for the response. I've emailed Art and am
    awaiting his reply but in the meantime I've ordered myself a Canon IP5000 -
    can't do being without my printer and it's been a couple of weeks now since
    I've been able to print anything - even solid black text. If Art can talk
    me through getting the 950 up and running again then I will have a backup
    printer should things go wrong in the future - always assuming that one of
    them doesn't clog up again through lack of use...

    Regards

    Dave

    It is certainly possible the inks from the 3rd party supplier are too
    thick. This occasionally happens. I suggest mildly dilution with a
    ammoniated window cleaner, or even water if necessary. If the cleaning
    cartridges show good nozzle checks, and the ink doesn't, it usually
    implies the ink isn't quite the correct viscosity.

    Art

    Dave Stolting wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have an Epson Stylus Photo 950 about 18 months old - it got used fairly
    > intensely for few days at a time then long rest period, but in the past has
    > always managed to print a perfect nozzle test sheet whenever I needed to use
    > it again. However, now it appears clogged - I've done numerous cleaning
    > cycles, used cleaning cartridges which incidentally appear to show printer
    > working correctly albeit fainter print due to cleaning fluid, but when I
    > replace with normal inks (aftermarket) the jets appear blocked. With extra
    > cleaning I can get some of the colours back but not all. I recently bought
    > another full set of cartridges at a cost of 50 pounds - supposed to be
    > superior quality aftermarket product - Cartridge World - and put them in
    > directly after cleaning cartridges but they have fared no better and I've
    > nearly emptied them with cleaning cycles. Is it time to scrap what
    > was/probably still could be a super photo printer or is there still hope for
    > it.
    >
    > Dave

Printers Photo Epson Peripherals