Is this PSU going to work in my new rig?

davelakecity

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Hi, been a long time. Built my last rig 3 years ago. I'm going to cannabilize some components from it to build new computer. Not sure if I'm going to be able to use my PSU. Any help appreciated.

This is my current Power Supply:
THERMALTAKE 480W ATX Silent Pure Power Xaser III W0014

Here are some Specs:
Specification: Maximum Power: 480 Watts. Switches: ATX Logic on-off additional power rocker switch. P. G. Signal: 100-500ms. Over Voltage Protection recycle AC to reset: +5V trip point < +6.8V, +3.3V trip point < +4.5V, +12V trip point <+15.6V. Output: +5V: 40A; -5V: 0.3A; +12V: 18A; -12V: 0.8A; +3.3V: 30A; +5VSB: 2A. Input: Voltage Range: 100 ?240 Vrms. Frequency Range: 47 - 63 Hz.

Concerns:

1. CPU I think I'm ok here. I'm just going to buy a cheap 805D cpu for new rig at first, but down the line I'd like to put a core2duo extreame or maybe even a next gen (quad core) cpu in. For right now if it handles a Pentium D ok that's fine.. could just buy new psu when upgrading cpu later on.

2. Vid Card. This is my biggest concern. Going to go cheap here with the idea of upgrading down the road. Pci-e 16x Card... like a 7600GT - 7600GT seems to require Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp Amps. Looks like I have that in specs. (will not be running SLI so no worries there). Big question I have is about power connector to vid card. I Currently have a 9800pro128 hooked up. Will a 7600GT pci express require different connector.

3. SATA3g drives. This power supply only seems to have one sata plug on it. It's plugged into a sata I drive now. Will that work with a SataII(3g) drive? Also are there any adaptors so that I could add additional sataII drives?

I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to use this psu, but it would be great if I could due to buget concerns.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
it *should* work fine for an 805 setup and that particular video card and HDD. But if you are going to get a C2D in the future, or quadcore, AND a better video card... i'd definately advise you to get a better PSU.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
This is my current Power Supply:
THERMALTAKE 480W ATX Silent Pure Power Xaser III W0014

Here are some Specs: +12V: 18A

If you don't OC, maybe it will do. If you OC, I'd be concerned. I've read that the TT power supplies are OK quality.

I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to use this psu, but it would be great if I could due to buget concerns.

I'd consider going with something a bit beefier, especially if you will OC at all.

davelakecity

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
thanks for the responses...

the psu will be more of a temporary solution... like I said I want to go with a better cpu and vid card in a year or so...

starting to think I may go with a D915 instead of the 805 and then a c2d or quad core next year and better vid card (then I can upgrade the psu)...

been a good psu for the last three years... good overclocking etc..

so the 7600gts don't need any special plugs off the psu? and the fact that new system will be pci-e will be ok?

anyone know about some sort of adapter so that I can power more than one sata drive (the psu only has one sata plug - sata was brand new when it came out)... sata I and sata II I assume use the same connector (?)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
anyone know about some sort of adapter so that I can power more than one sata drive (the psu only has one sata plug - sata was brand new when it came out)... sata I and sata II I assume use the same connector (?)

You can use the standard 4-pin molex connector to power a SATA drive. You can use a 4-pin molex on one SATA drive ans a SATA power connector on another drive. Just be sure not to use both the SATA power connector and the 4-pin molex on the same drive. Places like Sidewinder have conversion adapters too.