Sign in with
Your question

My computer says msiexec exe is requesting permission what does this mean?

Last response: in Windows 7
May 29, 2011 1:24:33 AM

help! This window keeps popping up saying that msiexec exe is requesting permission to change my computer or something like that. when I X out or say "No", it pops up again and no matter how many times I close it, it keeps coming back! I even went to task manager and tried to close it from there but it didnt work. The only way I was able to close it and make it go back to flashing at the bottom of my screen was to click the "change when these notifications appear" button and then to close that window. If it helps you to get an answer, I did have a virus on my computer but I thought I had gotten rid of it by resetting the computer to a previous date. :(  help please!
May 29, 2011 1:57:17 AM

Resetting a computer to an earlier date is only effective about 50% of the time. You should run a virus scan.
a b \ Driver
a c 371 $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 2:16:34 AM

It is a microsoft installer sevice!
Related resources
May 29, 2011 3:10:43 AM

I need more information, but thanks.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 3:13:28 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
It is a microsoft installer sevice!

^+1
May 29, 2011 3:22:43 AM

I know but what does that mean? Should I okay it and let it do its thing or what?
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 3:42:43 AM

LunaRose said:
I know but what does that mean? Should I okay it and let it do its thing or what?

Update to the latest version.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?fami...
And yes it's part of the O/S = usually trying to install required drivers.
Do you have SP1 and and updates turned on?
May 29, 2011 4:01:01 AM

I dont know. So I should click yes?
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 4:10:30 AM

LunaRose said:
I dont know. So I should click yes?

I've seen that displayed on my pc many times when upgrading drivers and devices.
Your pc is probably trying to install an exe and yes you need to allow it.
You do have a anti-virus program running right!
May 29, 2011 4:17:18 AM

Yeah I do I have Avast.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 4:20:36 AM

LunaRose said:
Yeah I do I have Avast.

Good! i would just say yes and allow the installer to finish what it's trying to do!
Make sure your Java is uptodate..
http://www.java.com/en/
May 29, 2011 7:57:52 AM

oh good i clicked yes and it went away and the computer is running fine. thanks!
a b \ Driver
a c 371 $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 1:40:55 PM

Apps like Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader and Java,will make this come on and you need those updates!
May 30, 2011 8:58:08 AM

Had an msiexec.exe dialogue pop up earlier from C:\Users\&user name&\AppData\Local\Temp which was NOT legitimate. Asked for Administrative permission without prompting. Sure glad I was paying attention when the supposed MS program was "from an unknown publisher" and confirmed it as malware.

Might want to make sure that you don't have an msiexec outside of C:\Windows\System32 which may now have administrative access to alter your computer!
June 5, 2011 10:20:34 AM

gbooker said:
Had an msiexec.exe dialogue pop up earlier from C:\Users\&user name&\AppData\Local\Temp which was NOT legitimate. Asked for Administrative permission without prompting. Sure glad I was paying attention when the supposed MS program was "from an unknown publisher" and confirmed it as malware.

Might want to make sure that you don't have an msiexec outside of C:\Windows\System32 which may now have administrative access to alter your computer!

gbooker,

How did you get rid of yours? I've got the same thing, but my security software is seeing nothing wrong.

Thanks,
TommyC
June 27, 2011 6:25:57 AM

I had this same error, where the msiexec.exe that requested permission was based in my temp folder. I clicked no several times, googled the application, and then hit yes, thinking that it was legit (I know very little about the system files, so the lack of system 32 folder thing didn't raise a flag). AVG immediately popped up and identified it as a threat, and took care of it.

I did just update AVG recently, so anyone experiencing the same issue might want to make sure everything's up to date with their anti-virus software, so if something is amiss, it'll be caught.

(Sorry if I'm bumping an old topic/question, but there seemed to be questions needed answering still)
June 29, 2011 10:23:05 PM

Yes, I had the same problem too. It was a virus located in C:\Users\[UserName]\msiexec.exe.
Malwarebytes anti malware took care of it. I don't think you can remove it manually because it just reappears.

More information about this virus http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2011/06/remove-msiexe...
!