Sign in with
Your question

Adapting 4 pin fan to 3 pin mobo header - Gigabyte case

Last response: in Components
September 19, 2006 7:33:03 AM

I have a Gigabyte 3D Aurora case and they put a pair of fans in the back with a 3-pin connector, but the single fan in front has a 4-pin connector. I would like to connect this to the motherboard so I can monitor the RPM. The only adapter I have found is this one:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1115/cab-37/3pin_Moth...

However, it specifically states I cannot monitor RPM with this cable. That's lame! Short of removing the Gigabyte fan and replacing it with a 3-pin fan, what can I do to adapt the 4-pin connector to the 3-pin header and still minitor RPM?
September 19, 2006 12:54:13 PM

Does the fan have three wires? Usually the red is the +12, black is ground and the yellow (somtimes blue) is the rpm tach lead.

If so you can wire it up to the standard 3-pin header:
September 19, 2006 7:12:34 PM

That's really lame. Sounds like I will have to replace the front fan with a "real" one. Indeed the 4 wires are 2 red and 2 black, no yellow.
Related resources
September 19, 2006 8:01:21 PM

Quote:
Fans that use the 4 pin molex connector for power do not have the ability to report there RPM's to the motherboard. You will ntice that your other fans have 3 wires. As doolittle mentioned above 2 are for power and the third, usually Yellow, wire is what reports the RPM's to the motherboard.

I just bought a replacement fan that has a three-wire connector (red, black, yellow) and also an extension with only one yellow wire connector. I have a fan monitor on my front panel. How should I make the connection? Does ther 3-wire connector plug into the MB, and the yellow wire connector to the fan monitor... or vis-visa?
September 20, 2006 6:50:20 AM

Quote:
Yes the 3 wire goes to the motherboard and the single yellow wire goes to the fan monitor.

!