another router recommendations question

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
ok, I am looking for a wired router (no wireless parts) with the least amount of latency (gaming?). money isn't an issue at the moment.
basic firewall features are sufficient (I'll work with the stuff people can find on most routers)

the models they sell at local stores:
ASUS RX3141
DLink DGL4100
DLink DI704P
DLink DI604
DLink DI704P
DLink DI704UP
DLink DI808HV
DLink DI804HV
SMC 7004VBR
SMC Br14UP
Netgear RP614
Linksys RV042
Linksys BEFVP41
Linksys BEFSX41
Linksys BEFSR81
Linksys BEFSR11

(number of ports isn't an issue to me (I can always attach a gigabit switch if needed, although there is an notion of additional levels of difficulty))

P.S. ICS on M$ windows is a pain in the back only at the time when you need it urgent

sturm

Splendid
pretty much any of them will work just as well as the other. I have used linksys and belkin and had no problems with either.
As far as latancy goes your going to get more from the internet than off the router.
pick one that fits your bill and go for it.

qw3r7yju4n

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
not true, some chipsets produce more latency than others, which i couldnt tell you, but i can tell you , you are going to get about 10-20ms more when going through a router, is it noticeable, no because under 60ms is like less than the blink of an eye i.e. not noticeable

riser

Illustrious
Get one that supports gigabit if you're thinking about putting a gigabit switch in at some future point.

You've listed brands that are all good, which probably means they're fairly close to all using the same technology or comparable.

Personal recommendation is to first go with the Linksys.

sturm

Splendid
whats not true? getting more latency off the internet than off a router? what internet connection are you on - direct fiber optic 10gb connection.
Think before you type.

you start off saying that "not true" which means youll get more from the router than the internet. Then at the end of you senetence you say 10-20ms ... not noticeable.

Now if you get less than 10-20 ms latency on you direct internet connection, tell me who you go thru.