Outlook Express Folders Missing

November 12, 2004 1:10:01 PM

Greetings,

Upgraded from WIN ME to XP PRO.

In my OE program, I had saved email massages from hotmail accounts to
indivdual folders with their name. Hence, car at hotmail is a folder named
car.

I can find the .dbx folders on the computer but can't drag or copy them back
to OE6.

Any suggestions? Do I have to make a new folder with a new name and drag
them over one by one? I tried the idea at
http://www.updatexp.com/tip21.html, but nothing transfered over.

Thanks for your time.
babyface
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 5:45:12 PM

OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing After You
Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313055

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:CA3B1F7D-2CC8-488D-B772-AC8D90B04BE8@microsoft.com,
DesertFey <DesertFey@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Greetings,
>
> Upgraded from WIN ME to XP PRO.
>
> In my OE program, I had saved email massages from hotmail accounts to
> indivdual folders with their name. Hence, car at hotmail is a folder
> named car.
>
> I can find the .dbx folders on the computer but can't drag or copy
> them back to OE6.
>
> Any suggestions? Do I have to make a new folder with a new name and
> drag them over one by one? I tried the idea at
> http://www.updatexp.com/tip21.html, but nothing transfered over.
>
> Thanks for your time.
> babyface
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 11:18:02 AM

Thanks for the link Wesley. Do I need to copy each indivual file with the
'folder.dbx' over? I tried it with all of them in one folder from the
desktop, but that didn't go over.

Thanks,
Babyface

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing After You
> Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313055
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:CA3B1F7D-2CC8-488D-B772-AC8D90B04BE8@microsoft.com,
> DesertFey <DesertFey@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Upgraded from WIN ME to XP PRO.
> >
> > In my OE program, I had saved email massages from hotmail accounts to
> > indivdual folders with their name. Hence, car at hotmail is a folder
> > named car.
> >
> > I can find the .dbx folders on the computer but can't drag or copy
> > them back to OE6.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Do I have to make a new folder with a new name and
> > drag them over one by one? I tried the idea at
> > http://www.updatexp.com/tip21.html, but nothing transfered over.
> >
> > Thanks for your time.
> > babyface

November 13, 2004 12:20:01 PM

Ok, I'm not understanding this

This procedure copies all the files from the selected folder into the XPMail
folder. Perform this procedure for each identity folder, but make sure to
create a separate folder, such as XPMail1, for each identity folder found.

I have copied all the .dbx folders into ONE folder and placed it on my
desktop. It contains all the *.dbx folders and nothing is imported when I
tell it to import.

Am I supposed to make a folder which includes each ONE *.dbx file WITH the
'folder.dbx' file for each folder I want to save AND put this folder in the
ONE folder on the desktop to import?

Example: I save old herb emails in a folder called 'herbs2004' which I had
listed un Local Folders. Do I make a folder for 'herbs2004' with the dbx
content in it AND add the 'folder.dbx' in that folder also? Do this for ALL
of the folders I have? Then add all these folders into ONE folder 'Old OE
folders' on the desktop and import that?

When I tried to import a copy of just the *dbx's that were in the 'old OE
folders' on the desktop, that didn't work.

Jes, do you think Microsoft could make this easier???? If it's a damn dbx
file, why can't we just drag and drop????

DesertFey

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing After You
> Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313055
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:CA3B1F7D-2CC8-488D-B772-AC8D90B04BE8@microsoft.com,
> DesertFey <DesertFey@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Upgraded from WIN ME to XP PRO.
> >
> > In my OE program, I had saved email massages from hotmail accounts to
> > indivdual folders with their name. Hence, car at hotmail is a folder
> > named car.
> >
> > I can find the .dbx folders on the computer but can't drag or copy
> > them back to OE6.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Do I have to make a new folder with a new name and
> > drag them over one by one? I tried the idea at
> > http://www.updatexp.com/tip21.html, but nothing transfered over.
> >
> > Thanks for your time.
> > babyface

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 1:08:01 PM

Ok, I tested my one folder theroy. I made a folder named 'soap'. Coped the
soap.dbx file into it and the 'folder.dbx' file into it. Did the 'import'
from OE. Got the message that it was imported. Can't see it anywhere in the
folder list. Also says it copied in the inbox and out box. Don't want
those, just the old emails in the folder.

PLEASE HELP, I'm going to start pulling hair out now.

DesertFey

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing After You
> Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313055
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:CA3B1F7D-2CC8-488D-B772-AC8D90B04BE8@microsoft.com,
> DesertFey <DesertFey@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Upgraded from WIN ME to XP PRO.
> >
> > In my OE program, I had saved email massages from hotmail accounts to
> > indivdual folders with their name. Hence, car at hotmail is a folder
> > named car.
> >
> > I can find the .dbx folders on the computer but can't drag or copy
> > them back to OE6.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Do I have to make a new folder with a new name and
> > drag them over one by one? I tried the idea at
> > http://www.updatexp.com/tip21.html, but nothing transfered over.
> >
> > Thanks for your time.
> > babyface

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 3:14:41 PM

Save some hair. See if this helps. :-)

How do I import OE5 and OE6 mail folders?
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

Here's the Home Page...
Inside Outlook Express
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:2555BBC1-75EE-48A6-9BD9-BE1724BF89EC@microsoft.com,
DesertFey <DesertFey@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Ok, I tested my one folder theroy. I made a folder named 'soap'.
> Coped the soap.dbx file into it and the 'folder.dbx' file into it.
> Did the 'import' from OE. Got the message that it was imported.
> Can't see it anywhere in the folder list. Also says it copied in the
> inbox and out box. Don't want those, just the old emails in the
> folder.
>
> PLEASE HELP, I'm going to start pulling hair out now.
>
> DesertFey
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing
>> After You Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313055
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:CA3B1F7D-2CC8-488D-B772-AC8D90B04BE8@microsoft.com,
>> DesertFey <DesertFey@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Upgraded from WIN ME to XP PRO.
>>>
>>> In my OE program, I had saved email massages from hotmail accounts
>>> to indivdual folders with their name. Hence, car at hotmail is a
>>> folder named car.
>>>
>>> I can find the .dbx folders on the computer but can't drag or copy
>>> them back to OE6.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? Do I have to make a new folder with a new name and
>>> drag them over one by one? I tried the idea at
>>> http://www.updatexp.com/tip21.html, but nothing transfered over.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time.
>>> babyface
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 4:20:03 PM

Yes!! Yes!! Wesley, thanks sooooo much for the link. I figured it out!!
Bless you, I wish you health, wealth and happiness.

I didn't know what a 'store' was. But I found the files FINALLY and
unchecked the 'read only.' Then was able to pick and choose which ones to
copy over. It wouldn't copy over newsgroups but I can live without a month.

Ok, my last question <gg>. The NEW OE store is named 'outlook epre' (minues
the ss's) and the old one is 'outlook express'. When I'm done with getting
everything backup can I safely delete the old express and rename the NEW OE
Store from 'outlook epre' to 'outlook epress'?

Hugs, Hugs and More hugs,
DesertFey

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Save some hair. See if this helps. :-)
>
> How do I import OE5 and OE6 mail folders?
> http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
>
> Here's the Home Page...
> Inside Outlook Express
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:2555BBC1-75EE-48A6-9BD9-BE1724BF89EC@microsoft.com,
> DesertFey <DesertFey@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Ok, I tested my one folder theroy. I made a folder named 'soap'.
> > Coped the soap.dbx file into it and the 'folder.dbx' file into it.
> > Did the 'import' from OE. Got the message that it was imported.
> > Can't see it anywhere in the folder list. Also says it copied in the
> > inbox and out box. Don't want those, just the old emails in the
> > folder.
> >
> > PLEASE HELP, I'm going to start pulling hair out now.
> >
> > DesertFey
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing
> >> After You Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313055
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >> Wes
> >>
> >> In news:CA3B1F7D-2CC8-488D-B772-AC8D90B04BE8@microsoft.com,
> >> DesertFey <DesertFey@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 6:20:17 PM

I don't know. Depends on where these folders are located and how many
Identities you now have.

The Outlook Express Store Folder and how to maintain it
http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm

Files and Settings
http://www.insideoe.com/files/

This might be a better place to post any more questions.
Lots of knowledgeable MVPs here.

microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:9273D68A-828B-47CC-830C-0A487BD53378@microsoft.com,