Could my XFX 7900GTX be faulty

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Hi

I own a xfx 7900GTX extreme edition. Problem is, whenever i play a game, my pc will either:

1. Freeze-up
2. Display will become scrambled
3. I manage to exit the game, but my windows desktop and menus will be scrambled/not rendered properly
4. Monitor flickers

I have no problems playing video files etc. I have also tried the nVidia drivers that came with the card, aswell as the latest drivers. Problem is still there...

Is my card faulty or could it be my system memory? I have OCZ DDR2 667 RAM...

Jarrack

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Sounds like there is a problem with the memory on your graphics card.

I get the same problem when I overclock the memory on my XFX 7900GT. Use an overclocking program and underclock your memory to 500MHz (1GHz effective) and see if the problem goes away. If it does then you have your answer.

Jarrack

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Thanks buddy, i didnt overclock the card hey, it is factory overclocked though. I just hope it is the card, coz i had it replaced this morning, but didnt get a chance to test it yet..

The problem couldnt be my system RAM hey?

Jarrack

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
I've never seen system ram screw up graphics like that. Normally faulty ram would either freeze, blue screen or simply reboot the computer. The messed up graphics after doing some 3D stuff definately points to a fault with the VGA card.

Hope the new one works better!

Jarrack

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
LOL

I hope so.. Im sick of troubleshooting and running around getting replacement parts.. I had to have my DVD writer replaced aswll :(

AsGard

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
Offcourse any card from any manufactor could be potentialy be faulty (BFS)...
However I allready personally know 3 persons who have bought a XFX card and had problems with it from day 1 and/or general crappy performances from it!
3dconnect, gigabyte, Asus, MSI,.. are far more reliable brands.

For the rest; I concure with other posts here..

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
As derek101700 mentioned, overheating is something you could look into. Do you know what your temps are for the GPU? There are a few main things that could affect your graphics - system memory, overheating GPU, over heating NB....

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Howzit guys
OK, so here's what happend...
The card's temps were sitting around 43-45 degrees celcius (according to temp sensor in the nVidia control panel), when the horrible artifacts started appearing. I then took my entire pc back to the place i bought it from and they tested everything themselves. They performed a MemTest and ran several benchmarks. They determined that it was in fact, the graphics card. So they replaced it.. again... (This is now my 3rd XFX 7900GTX in a week) :(

I then ran 3D mark 2005 for 3 hours straight and it seems that everything is working properly now :) Temps are between 47-53 degrees, which is well below the 110 degree threshold.

I get 11480 points btw :)