Sign in with
Your question

Sony vaio no longer recognizes keyboard after use of ps/2 to USB adaptor

Last response: in Windows 7
May 29, 2011 2:41:36 AM

Hello,
Our Sony Vaio laptop has several user accounts on it. Today I got an older keyboard with a ps/2 connector at a garage sale and connected it to the vaio with a ps/2 to USB adaptor. It worked for a few minutes, then suddenly the (new) keyboard stopped being recognized. I unplugged the keyboard, and now the vaio laptop keyboard no longer works - it's not recognized. I tried the vaio keyboard troubleshooting software without success.
The curious thing is that this problem only exists on this one user account. Other accounts on the vaio work fine and recognize the keyboard, so I've messed up only one account's settings somehow. Other than nuking that account (with lots of personal settings and customizing), can anyone suggest a remedy? Thanks a lot!
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 4:53:59 AM

Unistall keyboard drivers in device manager.
Restart and Windows will reload default kb drivers.
m
l
May 29, 2011 1:19:06 PM

davcon said:
Unistall keyboard drivers in device manager.
Restart and Windows will reload default kb drivers.

I did what you suggested - uninstalled keyboard drivers, restarted, and windows reloaded default kb drivers.
Still no change in behaviour WITHIN THAT one USER ACCOUNT.

Our user accounts all have passwords. On the login screen, the keyboard works to let us enter passwords. Once the password is entered only for that one user account, keyboard goes dead. Strangely, the diagnoses from the device driver manager continues showing that the keyboard is functioning properly.

We are troubleshooting using the onscreen keyboard.

Any other suggestions?
m
l
Related resources
!