Need new motherboard...

3dking3

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
I have several questions...with the above being one of them...maybe. This post could be in the Consumer electronics section but this if I need a new motherboard, then it will be a homebuilt....sort of. I guess it will be moved if needed :?

Here is the situation. My dad has an eMachines T2778 that I believe the motherboard just died on. He thinks it was a power surge and now when he turns his computer on, fans spin up but that is all. He gets "no signal" on the monitor. He can't get into the BIOS. He can't even shut it off by holding down the power button. (Question 1) I don't think it is the CPU but could I be wrong? So I want to replace the motherboard but the one that is in it, FIC K7M-NF18G, I can't find. So I figure another nforce2 board would work. It has an AMD Athlon™ 2.167GHz. I don't want to spend a lot and one with on board video is needed. (Question 2) Anyone have any suggestions? I guess it doesn't even need to be a nforce2.....maybe a newer version or a different chipset/motherboard combo altogether.

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

This is about as cheap as you can get.

PC CHIPS M863G, less than $41 shipped

Not a bad idea to check out these first:

- power it up and check voltages on your PSU w/ a voltmeter
- remove *everything* except psu / mobo / cpu / mem
- "reseat" the RAM
- "reseat" the cpu
- remove psu / mobo, check for a "burning" smell from both (make note of *all* connections first)

If nothing else, it will be a good "first build" experience. Usually the first to go is the PSU it is more likely than the mobo so it may be worth it to have it tested, but would not be suprised if the cheap FIC board crapped out for no reason whatsoever.

carrottop1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
i had same problem with my msi mb there a compancy called Ascendtech.us they have that fic board you what cost is $24.00 with free shipping