xp Users and Parental Controls

David

I am switching to windows XP over the next few days.

My main motivation is that my son is 6 and is strarting to use the computer
more and I want to restrict what he can do on the computer as well as where
he can go online.

I am looking for resources to help me accomplish this without restricting
myself.

Does anyone know where I can find more information on how to make this
possible?

So I guess to summarize what I am imagining is a user that is unrestricted,
and a user that is totally restricted to the point where they can only open
certain programs and visit certain websites.

Thanks in advance.

How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

Consider installing a first-rate internet security program which
includes "Parental Controls".

Norton Internet Security 2005
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

-- Includes Norton AntiVirus 2004
-- Includes Norton Personal Firewall
-- Includes prevention of annoying web pop-ups
-- Includes Parental Controls
-- All in one, easy-to-install package

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"David" wrote:

| I am switching to windows XP over the next few days.
|
| My main motivation is that my son is 6 and is strarting to use the computer
| more and I want to restrict what he can do on the computer as well as where
| he can go online.
|
| I am looking for resources to help me accomplish this without restricting
| myself.
|
| Does anyone know where I can find more information on how to make this
| possible?
|
| So I guess to summarize what I am imagining is a user that is unrestricted,
| and a user that is totally restricted to the point where they can only open
| certain programs and visit certain websites.
|
| Thanks in advance.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Use the Internet Explorer 6 Content Advisor to Control Access
to Web Sites in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310401

Protect Your PC

For some requirements, you may find it easier to invest in a
3rd-party solution, such as NetNanny or CyberPatrol.

You need to be aware, however, that *NO* technical or software
solution is fool-proof, and _none_ can ever adequately take the place
of live parental supervision.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

>I am switching to windows XP over the next few days.
>
> My main motivation is that my son is 6 and is strarting to use the
> computer
> more and I want to restrict what he can do on the computer as well
> as where
> he can go online.
>
> I am looking for resources to help me accomplish this without
> restricting
> myself.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find more information on how to make
> this
> possible?
>
> So I guess to summarize what I am imagining is a user that is
> unrestricted,
> and a user that is totally restricted to the point where they can
> only open
> certain programs and visit certain websites.
>
> Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS