xp Users and Parental Controls

I am switching to windows XP over the next few days.

My main motivation is that my son is 6 and is strarting to use the computer
more and I want to restrict what he can do on the computer as well as where
he can go online.

I am looking for resources to help me accomplish this without restricting
myself.

Does anyone know where I can find more information on how to make this
possible?

So I guess to summarize what I am imagining is a user that is unrestricted,
and a user that is totally restricted to the point where they can only open
certain programs and visit certain websites.

Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about users parental controls

    How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

    Consider installing a first-rate internet security program which
    includes "Parental Controls".

    Norton Internet Security 2005
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

    -- Includes Norton AntiVirus 2004
    -- Includes Norton Personal Firewall
    -- Includes prevention of annoying web pop-ups
    -- Includes Parental Controls
    -- All in one, easy-to-install package

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "David" wrote:

    | I am switching to windows XP over the next few days.
    |
    | My main motivation is that my son is 6 and is strarting to use the computer
    | more and I want to restrict what he can do on the computer as well as where
    | he can go online.
    |
    | I am looking for resources to help me accomplish this without restricting
    | myself.
    |
    | Does anyone know where I can find more information on how to make this
    | possible?
    |
    | So I guess to summarize what I am imagining is a user that is unrestricted,
    | and a user that is totally restricted to the point where they can only open
    | certain programs and visit certain websites.
    |
    | Thanks in advance.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Use the Internet Explorer 6 Content Advisor to Control Access
    to Web Sites in Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310401

    Protect Your PC

    For some requirements, you may find it easier to invest in a
    3rd-party solution, such as NetNanny or CyberPatrol.

    You need to be aware, however, that *NO* technical or software
    solution is fool-proof, and _none_ can ever adequately take the place
    of live parental supervision.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    >I am switching to windows XP over the next few days.
    >
    > My main motivation is that my son is 6 and is strarting to use the
    > computer
    > more and I want to restrict what he can do on the computer as well
    > as where
    > he can go online.
    >
    > I am looking for resources to help me accomplish this without
    > restricting
    > myself.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can find more information on how to make
    > this
    > possible?
    >
    > So I guess to summarize what I am imagining is a user that is
    > unrestricted,
    > and a user that is totally restricted to the point where they can
    > only open
    > certain programs and visit certain websites.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP