Trouble with the Gigabyte 6-Quad, Ga-965P-DQ6

Only614

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I have the Gigabyte 6-quad 965p-dq6 with a Duo core2 E6600 with a E-geforce 7600GT with OCZ ddr2 pc6400-2gig. Will not start up for some reason. The screen will go blank and doesnt even go to the logo and when i turn on the computer, it starts for 10-15 seconds then shutoffs. What am i doing wrong? I got a 500watt powersupply and all the parts are NEW. Can anyone help me please?

Before i got a Asus, but returned it because it will not let me instal lwindows, so now im trying gigabyte.

Please help me, i am having alot of trouble

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I have the Gigabyte 6-quad 965p-dq6 with a Duo core2 E6600 with a E-geforce 7600GT with OCZ ddr2 pc6400-2gig. Will not start up for some reason. The screen will go blank and doesnt even go to the logo and when i turn on the computer, it starts for 10-15 seconds then shutoffs. What am i doing wrong? I got a 500watt powersupply and all the parts are NEW. Can anyone help me please?

Before i got a Asus, but returned it because it will not let me instal lwindows, so now im trying gigabyte.

Please help me, i am having alot of trouble

Its your memory. the DQ6 will not work with OCZ memory. Either send the memory to OCZ to have the SPD reprogrammed, or get anyone else's memory.

Only614

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
what kind of memory would u suggest? If i do get another brand, can i be ddr6400? or does it have to be 800/667/533? or when it says compatible with 667, does it actualy mean the 6600 series?

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I'm running SuperTalent ddr2-677 at ddr2-800 in my DQ6 just fine. I see a lot of people are running Corsair. Any non-OCZ memory will probably work.

And one other thing - If you do manage to get the thing to boot, flash the BIOS right away. You probably have the F2 BIOS. The F4 is much more stable.

Only614

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
k, how would i flash the bios? what i really mean is flash the bios with the cd they provided with the motherboard? or wait till i install windows xp sp2 dvd, then go to the manufact. website and download the new bios? I do not have "A drive" installed, so i guess i would be using a cd to make it bootable and burn the new bios update on it. Pressing f4 is the same as pressing f2 to get into the bios right?

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
There are a couple of ways to flash the BIOS. The easiest is from the BIOS setup screen. You can do this before you install Windows. And you will need a floppy drive. Borrow one from another machine for a little while if you need to.

Copy the BIOS to a floppy (it'll be the 1MB file with a name ending in .f4 - you will have to download it HERE .
Then, press DEL while the machine is booting to get to the BIOS screen. On the bottom of the screen, it will tell you which key to press to flash the bios (I think its F 8 ). Put the floppy containing the BIOS in your drive and flash away.

Only614

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
K my brother just came back from FRYS and installed the Consair and the computer is still having the same problems. Turn on the computer, 10-15 seconds later it shuts off and also it does not load, the screen is still off. We also tried put another video card in and still does not work. Any help on this?

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
K my brother just came back from FRYS and installed the Consair and the computer is still having the same problems. Turn on the computer, 10-15 seconds later it shuts off and also it does not load, the screen is still off. We also tried put another video card in and still does not work. Any help on this?

Clear the CMOS by shorting the pins near the battery. The manual will show you where thee pins are.

Put in one stick of memory in the slot nearest the CPU. Be sure its snapped in good.

Be sure the VGA card is fully seated and the latch is engaged.

Only614

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
K I figured out what was wrong, you know how you have to put those gold metal scews on to the case before installing the motherboard, and i did say i had another motherboard before this one, well ends up that i forgot to take 2 screws off and those 2 screws were conflicting with the powersupply and motherboard, so i guess i was lucky that i didnt get shocked during that process, so i will try to install windows xp dvd and hopefully that runs smooth

Only614

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
There are a couple of ways to flash the BIOS. The easiest is from the BIOS setup screen. You can do this before you install Windows. And you will need a floppy drive. Borrow one from another machine for a little while if you need to.

Copy the BIOS to a floppy (it'll be the 1MB file with a name ending in .f4 - you will have to download it HERE .
Then, press DEL while the machine is booting to get to the BIOS screen. On the bottom of the screen, it will tell you which key to press to flash the bios (I think its F 8 ). Put the floppy containing the BIOS in your drive and flash away.

Before flashing ther bios, will i be able to see wat verison bios i have currectly installed?