Faults with windows 7 networking

vk3nay

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
After installing windows 7 Ultimate on to two computers and having all types of trouble to get a network working correctly. I am networking 2 desktops and a laptop with XP and also have a media centre in the lounge room all conected by Ethernet cable. Under windows XP and the same configeration I had no problems. I would like to know what DRUGS the programers at Microsoft were on when they come up with this package. Why the *** they changed the networking setup to a homegroup witch has completly ruined a good system up. Cheers Brian :bounce:

Duesouth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
you must rename the network to ie workgroup or whatever your home network name is on all the machines. if possible use static ip and not dhcp. for ie under windows xp right click my computer and go to the tab of computer name and see what is the workgroup. if you have multiple different names for every computer well they will not communicate to each other... you need to setup the proper network identification, subnet, network name, and so on

vk3nay

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Yep all of the above has been done. The firewall has been disabled and all drives and files for shairing have been selected.
The media player sees all computers and will only look at the XP computer.
The media player sees both Windows 7 computers but will not open the computers to view or open drives.

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
There is a setting in Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre > Choose homegroup and sharing options > Changed advanced sharing settings > Password protected sharing - turn it off.

vk3nay

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Thank to all. I have found the problem, Even though the media player is only two years old it is not recognised by Windows 7, Looks like I need to purhase a new media player centre. Cheers Brian.