Pocket PC 2003

January 19, 2005 12:05:44 PM

Have I been tricked?

I am reading out there my system is obsolete. I just bought this thing.

WHen updates come out can I upgrade?

Does anyone know why when I download and install teh update for Pocket PC
MSN Messenger PPC still insists it does not support it?

More about : pocket 2003

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:30:49 PM

Hello,

Microsoft has recently announced Windows Mobile 2005 but 2003 units will
continue to be sold for some time - as was the case when Windows Mobile 2003
was announced.

As for upgrades, it will depend on the OEM of your device. Most OEMs did
not provide an upgrade from WM2002 to WM2003. The best thing to do will be
to check with them once WM2005 is out and available.

What type of device (make and model) are you running? This will help
clarify the MSN Messenger issue.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o NaSdhj$EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Have I been tricked?
>
> I am reading out there my system is obsolete. I just bought this thing.
>
> WHen updates come out can I upgrade?
>
> Does anyone know why when I download and install teh update for Pocket PC
> MSN Messenger PPC still insists it does not support it?

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:48:32 PM

Hi Clinton,

Thank you for your help.

ViewSonic V36 PDA w/ Camera & 128MB SD Card
Processor Intel PXA255
Memory 57.11 MB

"Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
<management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Microsoft has recently announced Windows Mobile 2005 but 2003 units will
> continue to be sold for some time - as was the case when Windows Mobile
> 2003 was announced.
>
> As for upgrades, it will depend on the OEM of your device. Most OEMs did
> not provide an upgrade from WM2002 to WM2003. The best thing to do will
> be to check with them once WM2005 is out and available.
>
> What type of device (make and model) are you running? This will help
> clarify the MSN Messenger issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>

> "scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o NaSdhj$EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Have I been tricked?
>>
>> I am reading out there my system is obsolete. I just bought this thing.
>>
>> WHen updates come out can I upgrade?
>>
>> Does anyone know why when I download and install teh update for Pocket PC
>> MSN Messenger PPC still insists it does not support it?

January 19, 2005 12:48:33 PM

| >> Does anyone know why when I download and install the update for Pocket
PC
| >> MSN Messenger PPC still insists it does not support it?

did you soft reset your devise after installing the update ?
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 1:12:30 PM

Hello,

That is the same P/PC that I have. ViewSonic did offer an upgrade for the
V37 from WM2002 to WM2003 (V36 already had it).

I'm using that update on my unit and did not receive the error message. Try
this: Try a soft reset, then see if you can get the application to install
correctly. If you get an error message and have an option to continue, do
so. It will still work.

Regards,

--

> Hi Clinton,
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> ViewSonic V36 PDA w/ Camera & 128MB SD Card
> Processor Intel PXA255
> Memory 57.11 MB
>

> "Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
> <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Microsoft has recently announced Windows Mobile 2005 but 2003 units will
>> continue to be sold for some time - as was the case when Windows Mobile
>> 2003 was announced.
>>
>> As for upgrades, it will depend on the OEM of your device. Most OEMs did
>> not provide an upgrade from WM2002 to WM2003. The best thing to do will
>> be to check with them once WM2005 is out and available.
>>
>> What type of device (make and model) are you running? This will help
>> clarify the MSN Messenger issue.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Senior Editor / Owner
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>
>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>

>> "scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:o NaSdhj$EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Have I been tricked?
>>>
>>> I am reading out there my system is obsolete. I just bought this thing.
>>>
>>> WHen updates come out can I upgrade?
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why when I download and install teh update for Pocket
>>> PC MSN Messenger PPC still insists it does not support it?

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:05:05 PM

Did as you said, I rebooted and it still does not work.

Did you have to buy a seperate attachment to make a wireless connection
work? I thought it came with the ability to detect the connection?

> Hello,
>
> That is the same P/PC that I have. ViewSonic did offer an upgrade for the
> V37 from WM2002 to WM2003 (V36 already had it).
>
> I'm using that update on my unit and did not receive the error message.
> Try this: Try a soft reset, then see if you can get the application to
> install correctly. If you get an error message and have an option to
> continue, do so. It will still work.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>

> "scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Clinton,
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> ViewSonic V36 PDA w/ Camera & 128MB SD Card
>> Processor Intel PXA255
>> Memory 57.11 MB
>>

>> "Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
>> <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Microsoft has recently announced Windows Mobile 2005 but 2003 units will
>>> continue to be sold for some time - as was the case when Windows Mobile
>>> 2003 was announced.
>>>
>>> As for upgrades, it will depend on the OEM of your device. Most OEMs
>>> did not provide an upgrade from WM2002 to WM2003. The best thing to do
>>> will be to check with them once WM2005 is out and available.
>>>
>>> What type of device (make and model) are you running? This will help
>>> clarify the MSN Messenger issue.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Clinton Fitch
>>> Senior Editor / Owner
>>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>>
>>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>>

>>> "scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o NaSdhj$EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:13:02 PM

No, I didn't have to do anything special to be honest. I just installed the
update and it ran... I didn't even get the message you are getting.

Are you able to install other applications? Are you able to run the version
of Messenger included in the ROM?

Regards,

--

> Did as you said, I rebooted and it still does not work.
>
> Did you have to buy a seperate attachment to make a wireless connection
> work? I thought it came with the ability to detect the connection?
>
> "Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
> <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> That is the same P/PC that I have. ViewSonic did offer an upgrade for
>> the V37 from WM2002 to WM2003 (V36 already had it).
>>
>> I'm using that update on my unit and did not receive the error message.
>> Try this: Try a soft reset, then see if you can get the application to
>> install correctly. If you get an error message and have an option to
>> continue, do so. It will still work.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Senior Editor / Owner
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>
>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>

>> "scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Clinton,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help.
>>>
>>> ViewSonic V36 PDA w/ Camera & 128MB SD Card
>>> Processor Intel PXA255
>>> Memory 57.11 MB
>>>

>>> "Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
>>> <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:45:05 PM

no it tells me:

"Logon to MSN Messenger Service failed because the service is not compatible
with the version of the program"

i uninstalled and reinstalled the update. Can I reinstall teh entire
program?

> No, I didn't have to do anything special to be honest. I just installed
> the update and it ran... I didn't even get the message you are getting.
>
> Are you able to install other applications? Are you able to run the
> version of Messenger included in the ROM?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>

> "scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Did as you said, I rebooted and it still does not work.
>>
>> Did you have to buy a seperate attachment to make a wireless connection
>> work? I thought it came with the ability to detect the connection?
>>
>> "Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
>> <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> That is the same P/PC that I have. ViewSonic did offer an upgrade for
>>> the V37 from WM2002 to WM2003 (V36 already had it).
>>>
>>> I'm using that update on my unit and did not receive the error message.
>>> Try this: Try a soft reset, then see if you can get the application to
>>> install correctly. If you get an error message and have an option to
>>> continue, do so. It will still work.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Clinton Fitch
>>> Senior Editor / Owner
>>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>>
>>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>>

>>> "scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:51:11 PM

Ok, so on the update... You are getting the one from Microsoft, right?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/msnmes...

Make sure you are getting the correct one. Look at the Microsoft page I
reference above, it is the first download option. This *should* update you
and get you back online.

You can't reinstall the whole application. It is part of the ROM and the
only way to return things back to factory default is to hard-reset...
meaning you loose all your installed applications and data unless you back
it up.

Regards,

--

> no it tells me:
>
> "Logon to MSN Messenger Service failed because the service is not
> compatible with the version of the program"
>
> i uninstalled and reinstalled the update. Can I reinstall teh entire
> program?
>
> "Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
> <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>> No, I didn't have to do anything special to be honest. I just installed
>> the update and it ran... I didn't even get the message you are getting.
>>
>> Are you able to install other applications? Are you able to run the
>> version of Messenger included in the ROM?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Senior Editor / Owner
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>
>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>

>> "scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Did as you said, I rebooted and it still does not work.
>>>
>>> Did you have to buy a seperate attachment to make a wireless connection
>>> work? I thought it came with the ability to detect the connection?
>>>
>>> "Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
>>> <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 4:09:27 PM

I fixed it. I hit the wrong reset button, not the one on the back. I hit the
one on teh side. Please dont throw things. Now it works.
Is a wireless connection possible on this or do I need to buy more hardware
to make that work? Can you suggest equipment you bought?

> Ok, so on the update... You are getting the one from Microsoft, right?
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/msnmes...
>
> Make sure you are getting the correct one. Look at the Microsoft page I
> reference above, it is the first download option. This *should* update
> you and get you back online.
>
> You can't reinstall the whole application. It is part of the ROM and the
> only way to return things back to factory default is to hard-reset...
> meaning you loose all your installed applications and data unless you back
> it up.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>

> "scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> no it tells me:
>>
>> "Logon to MSN Messenger Service failed because the service is not
>> compatible with the version of the program"
>>
>> i uninstalled and reinstalled the update. Can I reinstall teh entire
>> program?
>>
>> "Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
>> <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>>> No, I didn't have to do anything special to be honest. I just installed
>>> the update and it ran... I didn't even get the message you are getting.
>>>
>>> Are you able to install other applications? Are you able to run the
>>> version of Messenger included in the ROM?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Clinton Fitch
>>> Senior Editor / Owner
>>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>>
>>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>>

>>> "scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 4:16:58 PM

ROFL! Well, that'll do it! I'm glad you got it going. Nothing thrown,
promise.

WiFi is not built into the V36. You will have to add a SD WiFi card. There
are several options out there. I personally like and use the Socket
Communications products but that's just my opinion. There are also combo
cards of SD storage and WiFi cards from Sandisk and others.

I'd start at http://www.socketcomm.com and http://www.sandisk.com

Regards,

"scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o Jxyopl$EHA.960@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I fixed it. I hit the wrong reset button, not the one on the back. I hit
>the one on teh side. Please dont throw things. Now it works.
> Is a wireless connection possible on this or do I need to buy more
> hardware to make that work? Can you suggest equipment you bought?
>
> "Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
> <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, so on the update... You are getting the one from Microsoft, right?
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/msnmes...
>>
>> Make sure you are getting the correct one. Look at the Microsoft page I
>> reference above, it is the first download option. This *should* update
>> you and get you back online.
>>
>> You can't reinstall the whole application. It is part of the ROM and the
>> only way to return things back to factory default is to hard-reset...
>> meaning you loose all your installed applications and data unless you
>> back it up.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Senior Editor / Owner
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>
>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>

>> "scorpion53061" <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> no it tells me:
>>>
>>> "Logon to MSN Messenger Service failed because the service is not
>>> compatible with the version of the program"
>>>
>>> i uninstalled and reinstalled the update. Can I reinstall teh entire
>>> program?
>>>
>>> "Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
>>> <management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 7:14:36 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:05:44 -0600, "scorpion53061"
<scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote:

>Have I been tricked?
>
>I am reading out there my system is obsolete. I just bought this thing.

PDAs are changing _very_ rapidly. So just about anything you buy now
will look be less powerful _and_ more expensive than what shows up in
stores in a few weeks. And that will be true for the foreseeable
future. I _think_ the rate of change is somewhat seasonal
(marketing). The alternative is to slow the pace of innovation. So
long as the PDA you just bought does what _you_ want, it is not
obsolete.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:57:55 AM

r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote in

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:05:44 -0600, "scorpion53061"
> <scorpion_53061@nospamhereyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Have I been tricked?
>>
>>I am reading out there my system is obsolete. I just bought this
>>thing.
>
> PDAs are changing _very_ rapidly. So just about anything you buy now
> will look be less powerful _and_ more expensive than what shows up in
> stores in a few weeks. And that will be true for the foreseeable
> future. I _think_ the rate of change is somewhat seasonal
> (marketing). The alternative is to slow the pace of innovation. So
> long as the PDA you just bought does what _you_ want, it is not
> obsolete.

> To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and
> please indicate which newsgroup and message).
>
> Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
> PenFact, Inc.
> 500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
> Boston, MA 02118
> www.penfact.com

This is pretty frustrating actually. I am strongly considering a x50v.
I called Dell today and the sales person told me that they were not
planning an upgrade to 2005. I don't get it. The device has a flashable
ROM. Why not provide an upgrade then? Now I don't know if I want to buy
it.

When does 2005 come out? Is it worth waiting for? What are the chance
of Dell turning aroudn and selling the same device (or very comparable)
with the new OS a few months from now and not offering an upgrade?

Thanks,
John

--
RPA - Raggio Pocket PC Applications

Oh yes!

I'm also very interested to hear the answer to that question?
Did you get any additional information?

!