Sign in with
Your question

onboard RAID controler vs RAID card

Last response: in Motherboards
September 19, 2006 7:32:24 PM

I'm new to RAID setup but it is something I want to do with the new build I am considering. Briefly, the system will be AMD Athalon 64 X2, Asus AM2 mobo (either Crosshair or M2N32 SLI Deluxe), and a RAID 5 array with 3 or 4 SATA drives.

I'm curious whether I will be disappointed with using the onboard RAID controller vs an add-on RAID card. Opinions? Suggestions?
September 19, 2006 9:41:09 PM

on the onboard RAID controler is software based.
most good raid cards cost quite a bit but do all raid work with there own cpu and ram.

but they start at $300+

also there is a nforce 590 board with pci-x slots
M2N32 WS Professional
September 19, 2006 9:48:39 PM

my understanding is that the motherboard RAID controller was NOT software RAID....software RAID was something else. I'm confused.
Related resources
September 19, 2006 9:53:47 PM

Quote:
my understanding is that the motherboard RAID controller was NOT software RAID....software RAID was something else. I'm confused.

Most onboard controllers are software based, just because it is controlled by the BIOS doesn't mean it isn't software (after all the BIOS is software). You could check the specs for your particular mobo to see if ti is hardware RAID, but I would bet it isn't. Theres a reason onboard controllers (be it video, audio, or RAID) are much cheaper than the add-on cards...
September 19, 2006 10:09:53 PM

hmmmm, Ok, a lesson learned. Thanks!

So then, what advice do you have for a RAID controller card now that that seems to be where I want to go. I'm not concerned about cost up to a couple hundred bucks.

By the way, the Asus Crosshair is pricey, i.e. not a lower grade board. Might it be a hardware RAID and how would I verify? What spec indicates hardware or software? Geez, I'm showing my ignorance.
September 19, 2006 10:40:27 PM

Thanks. I appreciate your research and help.
September 21, 2006 6:42:07 PM

You need a board with pci-x to get max out of theos card and a pci-x nforce 590 board is $300 +

You can find pci-e raid cards for the same price as the pci-x ones
there are nforce 590 board where a wide video card does not block the pci-e x4 slot
!