Hi group,

Running XP SP2 on a laptop with a 20gb hard drive partitioned onto C (14gb)
and D (6gb), but suddenly, I'm running out of space on C. I don't have
songs, pictures or movie files or programs that could be taking a lot of
space, so what else could it be? Some time ago I ran into a file utility
software that would represent graphically file and folder sizes, but can't
remember the name. Any other software you might recommend to find out what's
taking so much space?

TIA,
Marco

"Limonzitos" <marc_ati@icsi.net> wrote in message
| Hi group,
|
| Running XP SP2 on a laptop with a 20gb hard drive partitioned onto C
(14gb)
| and D (6gb), but suddenly, I'm running out of space on C. I don't have
| songs, pictures or movie files or programs that could be taking a lot of
| space, so what else could it be? Some time ago I ran into a file utility
| software that would represent graphically file and folder sizes, but can't
| remember the name. Any other software you might recommend to find out
what's
| taking so much space?
|
| TIA,
| Marco

SequoiaView is an excellent free (and clean) utility helpful in tracking
down mysterious missing drive space.

It provides a one window graphical representation of which files are taking
up how much space where on a drive, often quickly and easily tracking down
files that Windows is reluctant to reveal.

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

(It's kinda fun too) :)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Limonzitos wrote:
> Some time ago I ran
> into a file utility software that would represent graphically file
> and folder sizes, but can't remember the name. Any other software you
> might recommend to find out what's taking so much space?

I like Scanner, which can be downloaded for free from
http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/index.html

Limonzitos,

One such utility: "DISKdata for Windows"
http://www.digallery.com/diskdata/

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Limonzitos" <marc_ati@icsi.net> wrote in message news:LPild.18275$SS3.16031@fe2.texas.rr.com...
Hi group,

Running XP SP2 on a laptop with a 20gb hard drive partitioned onto C (14gb)
and D (6gb), but suddenly, I'm running out of space on C. I don't have
songs, pictures or movie files or programs that could be taking a lot of
space, so what else could it be? Some time ago I ran into a file utility
software that would represent graphically file and folder sizes, but can't
remember the name. Any other software you might recommend to find out what's
taking so much space?

TIA,
Marco

Ramesh,
thanks for your help.

Something else that is going on with the same equipment, but not sure if
it's related to the other problem. Norton Antivurs won't update and the
autoprotect is not working either. I already checked on Symantec's web page
and did a search on google, but I could not find any help. This is the
message I get:

Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

NAVNT 9.05

LiveUpdate was not able to complete this update.

Please contact Technical Support and provide all information displayed on
this screen.
For contact information, go to Help->Technical Support from your Symantec
product.

The files below could not be updated by LiveUpdate:
-----------------------------------
File: C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\CCIMSCAN.DL^
104048 Bytes 8/19/2002 21:22:58 v9.0.0.1104.
File: C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\DEFALERT.DL^
292472 Bytes 8/26/2002 21:35:40 v9.0.0.68.
File: C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NAVOPTS.DL^
783992 Bytes 8/26/2002 21:36:22 v9.0.0.68.

[...]

Please try here for the exact error message string:
http://search.symantec.com/custom/us/query.html

To contact Symantec Technical support:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Limonzitos" <marc_ati@icsi.net> wrote in message news:Nfjld.18447$SS3.15376@fe2.texas.rr.com...
[...]

<snip>

thanks again for you help

[...]

You're welcome!

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Limonzitos" <marc_ati@icsi.net> wrote in message news:3qjld.18509$SS3.12094@fe2.texas.rr.com...
[...]

johnf

The graphic program is this one -
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

--

johnf

> Hi group,
>
> Running XP SP2 on a laptop with a 20gb hard drive partitioned onto C
> (14gb) and D (6gb), but suddenly, I'm running out of space on C. I
> don't have songs, pictures or movie files or programs that could be
> taking a lot of space, so what else could it be? Some time ago I ran
> into a file utility software that would represent graphically file and
> folder sizes, but can't remember the name. Any other software you might
> recommend to find out what's taking so much space?
>
> TIA,
> Marco

thanks johnf...this is exactly the one I had been using