Need help with hdd data recover.....plssss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrian_79ct

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
The main problem i have is one of my hdds has failed. It was in raid 0 (via6410 controller). :(
It just simply died, didn't make noise. The bios can't see it anymore. I try to change its logical controller with the one from another hdd. The one who failes was wd1600jb-oogvco, the good one was wd1600jb-oogvao. The bios report it as wd1600jb, with no series, and with a capacity of 8Giga. I try to acces it with win hex, but i could read from it only a few kilos, after that it was reporting bad sectors. I have buyed another one, wd1600jb-oogvco, but was made 5 mounths later. I try his logical controller too, and the hdd was making noise (click, click...). I still can see it on bios with wd1600jb-oogvao controller, but i can't acces any bit of it. Can anyone help me, pls? I just need to acces my hdd, i'll manage recover my data after that!
Sorry for my english, i hope you can understand me....

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Sorry man your S.O.L.
This is my only gripe about regular users or even heavy users using Raid 0. They never backup data or use some type of proactive measure to retain data. At-least with a stand alone drive you could have chance of rebuilding the drive, but the data is separated across to drives now. Sorry.

adrian_79ct

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
i want to recover my drive as if it was a stand alone! I can recover the data after that... but i can not read anything from it. That's my problem, and not the raid! As from back-up... Hmm... The hdds was new, and they still have 2 more years guarantee... I choose speed! Many of us choose the speed... and not the back-up. Isn't it?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
The main problem i have is one of my hdds has failed. It was in raid 0 (via6410 controller).
It just simply died

You had two drive in a Raid 0 correct? When one drives dies, you loose all the data 100% because Raid 0 looks a data in pieces and divides those pieces between the two drives. So when one drive dies your data is gone beucase you miss the other 1/2 of the data.

adrian_79ct

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Man, i didn't ask how can i recover my data from raid. I search on internet and with some programs, the hhds can be scan, and the files can be rebuild pieces by pieces. Pls forget about raid.
How can i acces a failed drive?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Sorry maybe I missed something. But you would need a program like Unstoppable copier or Recover My Files made by Get Data back in order to "attempt" to get data off a failed drive. If the drive spins you may be ok. Your best bet would be to use an external enclouse to trick your OS to reading the drive.

adrian_79ct

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I can make the hdd spins, but i read only bad sector, that's all it report to os. How can i trik the firmware... i think that's the problem.

booger007

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
This same thing happened to me on my Raid 0. What I did was I put the bad hard drive in the freezer for a day. I took it out and immediately ghosted it to the replacement drive. Rebuilt the array and voila. I did suffer some small data loss but not very much. Needless to say I have now installed a back up solution as this was a scary experience. Let me know if this helps.

adrian_79ct

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
1. my failed drive have 160 GBs. Do u think it will go so long? (about 2 hour to copy on anather drive)
2. The logical part that failed have 2 burnt circuits. I don't know if this will help me. I make it spins, but with anather logical controller.
Thank you anyway!

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
What the--? In the freezer? What does that do technically? It PERSERVES the data? Get it? PERSERVES!!! Oh boy...that was silly. Anyway, do tell about the process of how freezing a drive can make it work for awhile? Is it just because your keep it cold long enough to transfer before it overheats?

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
To replace the drive controller you need an *identical* one, not a similar one. And even then it may not work.

Basically, I think you're out of luck. Unless you can get the drive working again (and it sounds like you're not going to be able to do that), you will not be able to get your data back.

having said that...

Stick a new controller board (one of the two you've got) in it. Then grab an external enclosure, get the drive spinning again, and see if you can copy *everything* off the drive, using a drive image program (alternatively, use "dd" to take a bit-for-bit copy under Linux).

You hopefully will then be able to ghost the image onto a new drive and rebuild the RAID array... if you're lucky!

Best of luck...

booger007

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Silly huh, first of all whet does metal do when it cools and heats. It expands and contracts. So this could help a motor spin, and also the read write heads. I thought the same thing, but this has helped me many times with getting data off of an otherwise worthless drive. In my case my drive would not spin at all. Once it was frozen I was able to get it to spin up and recover my data.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I've heard about this many many times... shrug. I never tried it, but it was recommended to me when one of my drives died... but the drive that died fell off a table while it was running... probably breaking a pin because it started to make clicking sounds... meh

I keep important data on 2 different drives. Everything else, if I lose it, I'll re-dl it.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
No mainstream recovery program will be able to recover anything from it.

Any such program will be lucky to see half the data, and wont have enough to recover any file (as every single one will have bits missing.)

In alot of cases, it wont understand the Controllers partition information AT ALL and wont even get that far.

Your ONLY hope is to send BOTH drives to a professional data recovery company. If you have tried screwing around with the drives already it is likely too late, but companies such as MJM may be able to salvage it.

This will not be cheap. For a RAID 0 array of that size I'd expect to pay AT LEAST £500 for recovery, probably more, thats $1000+ USD.

If you want to use RAID0, be prepared to deal with drive failure.

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
i want to recover my drive as if it was a stand alone! I can recover the data after that... but i can not read anything from it. That's my problem, and not the raid! As from back-up... Hmm... The hdds was new, and they still have 2 more years guarantee... I choose speed! Many of us choose the speed... and not the back-up. Isn't it?

The problem you might have is with the drive which was RAID 0, because when it was placed as RAID the drive volume was rewritten.

So the data is available and is on that drive.

You might reformat the drive and later recover the data using software like :

get data back fat

get data back NT

hard disk regenerator

Those programs need to be purchased.

Raid reconstructor

Good luck!

rantsky

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Well, sorry I can't help you much with the data recovery, as everyone said here it's very difficult the retreive data from RAID0. To your comment about choosing speed, I just wanted to say that yes, it makes sense to choose speed, however when you're dealing with RAID0, you can only have two types of files on the drive: (a) disposable/temporary files, and (b) well backed-up filed. What you should have done (not that it's worth anything now) is keep an additional non-RAID drive in your system to which you would automatically back up (say on a nightly basis) everything you might miss from your RAID0.

By the way, better not to rely on a drive just because it's new -- warranty or no warranty. A friend of mine got himself a 200GB WD when they were just out, and it died on him within a week, taking all the data with it. He was only able to recover about 80% of it.

Good luck, and I hope some of the other comments help you actually retreive the data.

adrian_79ct

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Sorry to ask, i may be numb, but what's the deal with the external enclosure? I swich the controller board (from anather hdd with the same series- oogvco, isn't it identical? ), start it in windows and try to read data from it with win hex (it acces the sectors from the hdd), but it didn't work. Do u think i have more chances in an external enclosure?
Thx all of you!
The good thing is that now i have 4 wd 160Gbs. The bad one is that i'll use them in raid 0. :) (i have a 80Gbs one for back up too).

Status
Not open for further replies.