Configure me a system - $1000 Canadian

andkon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Help. Im looking to spend about $1000, Canadian, including taxes on my new comp. It'll will be mostly for family related use, with some light gaming thrown in. I need everything but a monitor, which I will be purchasing seperately. I'm pretty sure I will be able to build the comp myself. Not sure what sites are best that ship to Canada, was thinking ncix.com, canadacomputers.com, or tigerdirect.ca Your help is appreciated :D

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Help. Im looking to spend about $1000, Canadian, including taxes on my new comp. It'll will be mostly for family related use, with some light gaming thrown in. I need everything but a monitor, which I will be purchasing seperately. I'm pretty sure I will be able to build the comp myself. Not sure what sites are best that ship to Canada, was thinking ncix.com, canadacomputers.com, or tigerdirect.ca Your help is appreciated :D
tigerdirect has Outlet Stores in Canada
http://www.tigerdirect.com/retailstores/index.asp?CMP=ILC-CHI

Scribs

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Ive just bought a new computer, so Ive done the research on stores and such. For the most part, Ive found NCIX to be the cheapest, with Canada Computers good for a few items as well. Great part about NCIX, they price match, so you can get deals that they might not normally have. Nice thing about Canada Computers though, $10 flat rate shipping, which might save you some money on a case. Also, depending on your province, you can dodge the provincial sales tax from at least one of the stores, which adds up on a large purchase.

As for the computer itself, Im guessing you want to run it at stock and such, no overclocking? I imagine you could get a C2D 6300, decent motherboard (maybe a gigabyte DS3, or something lower than that), 250GB HD, DVD burner, case w/included PSU and such and a 7600 GT video card for about that budget. Im afraid I cant price it right now, but the NCIX pc builder is good to play around with.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Canada computers has a great deal on a AMD X2 3800 system, $600 including an X800XL video card. I'd suggest getting that system and add more RAM for $65. For your needs and light gaming, it'll do the trick and then some for well under $1000.

If you really wanna spend the full $1000, then do what ^^ says about C2D at Ncix. Canada Computers doesn't have a built system with those specs I think.........they're more geared to the "budget" market.