enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Friend of mine is going to be re-doing his computer, ill show the list of parts:

Case: http://www.xoxide.com/xopacl2.html
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148008
I dont really know the quality of that PSU, but i recommended him this, but still wants the Aspire:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

Also, another question that i couldnt figure out. He is currently using a Emachine computer for his gaming needs, and wants to swap out the motherboard and put it into his new case. Now since its a factory one, would it still fit into his new case? If he decides to replace the motherboard, will the ram that came with his computer still be compatible with his new motherboard? I was looking at this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131569

I believe the ram is DDR-400 PC3200 184-pin(i think), but its a no name brand. He will also bring to the other case his, cd/dvd drives, his harddrive, 6800GT and monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard. Any suggested changes or add-ons is very appreciated. I didnt give him a defintite answer yet, so i came to you guys once again. Thanks :D

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You could be asking for trouble putting that eMachines motherboard in that case. It's worth a try, but you might run into proprietory issues like the power connections being different. I doubt the mounting holes are different, but you never know with OEMs. I would try it first, and if it doesn't work go for the ASUS or similiar S939 board. I would open the eMachine and look for any identifying part numbers on the motherboard. Google them and see if you can find a manual on the board that you can review. Also note, that he may run into issues with the case's front connections to the motherbaord. A manual on the eMachine motherboard would be very helpful here.

If you do decide that a new motherboard is needed, take note that you will most likely have to buy a copy of XP too if all he has is a Recovery CD from eMachines. I do not recommend using the existing XP install with a new motherboard and the Recovery CDs will most likely not work on the new board. Reformat and install Windows XP if you need to buy a new motherboard.

I've been using an Aspire 500W for about 4 years now with no problems. However, the heftiest GPU I have used with it is a 6600GT, but that was with 3 HDs and an overclocked Athlon XP-M 2600 at 2.4. The FSP is a very reputable brand as well.

I hope your friend likes to clean the inside of his PC often as any dust and dirt will be visable with that case.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
To be honest with you I do not see the logic behind what your friend is planning to do. It seems that he is planning to reuse every single component he has except the power supply and the case.

Okay. But WHY? What is the point? It is too much work and risk since as the above poster said "you never know with OEMs". He is correct. Any number of things may not fit/reach.

If he decides to replace the motherboard, will the ram that came with his computer still be compatible with his new motherboard?

This is a silly question. If he gets a different motherboard he will have to make sure that it is compatible with his video card, CPU and RAM. This goes without saying.

- If he has DDR-400 PC3200 184-pin then the new motherboard must support this RAM. You've seen the specs of the board you linked to in your post. Which part is unclear? The specs indicate that the board supports

DDR 400 (PC 3200) and has
4x 184pin DDR Slots up to 4 Gb

His RAM will fit just fine.

- Is his CPU a Socket 939 Athlon? If not, then it will not fit in the motherboard you suggest.

- Is his 6800GT PCI-Express? If it is AGP it will not fit into the board you suggest because that board is PCI-Express.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
To be honest with you I do not see the logic behind what your friend is planning to do. It seems that he is planning to reuse every single component he has except the power supply and the case.

Okay. But WHY? What is the point? It is too much work and risk since as the above poster said "you never know with OEMs". He is correct. Any number of things may not fit/reach.

If he decides to replace the motherboard, will the ram that came with his computer still be compatible with his new motherboard?

This is a silly question. If he gets a different motherboard he will have to make sure that it is compatible with his video card, CPU and RAM. This goes without saying.

- If he has DDR-400 PC3200 184-pin then the new motherboard must support this RAM. You've seen the specs of the board you linked to in your post. Which part is unclear? The specs indicate that the board supports

DDR 400 (PC 3200) and has
4x 184pin DDR Slots up to 4 Gb

His RAM will fit just fine.

- Is his CPU a Socket 939 Athlon? If not, then it will not fit in the motherboard you suggest.

- Is his 6800GT PCI-Express? If it is AGP it will not fit into the board you suggest because that board is PCI-Express.

I do very appreciate the help. Reason he wants to do this is because he is low on funds and wants to save as much as possible. Yes, the motherboard is S939, so it will fit and great news to hear. Ill probably have him get a new harddrive and windows, just not to create any problems. His 6800GT is PCI-e, so that will be alright. He is now going to get the new motherboard though, talked to him in school today. I appreciate the help guys, thanks :D

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
He won't need a new hard drive, but you will most likely need to purchase a new copy of Windows XP. If all he has are "Recovery Disks" for the eMachine then he will definately need to buy a copy of Windows XP. If he has an actual Windows XP install disk, then he might be able to install with that. He may not even need to activate it depending on the XP install disk, but I doubt it. Most likely if you get it to install, you'll run into problems if it needs to be activated.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
He won't need a new hard drive, but you will most likely need to purchase a new copy of Windows XP. If all he has are "Recovery Disks" for the eMachine then he will definately need to buy a copy of Windows XP. If he has an actual Windows XP install disk, then he might be able to install with that. He may not even need to activate it depending on the XP install disk, but I doubt it. Most likely if you get it to install, you'll run into problems if it needs to be activated.

Ok, so most likely, new windows, and the harddrive is ok. Thanks. :D