OK I AM CONFUSED NOW!

NASCARMIKE

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I just finished reading all the post and BOY :roll: am I confused :? So just a simple question please (although I realize it will be subjective) What speakers would work best (I listen to some music but main system in other room so mostly I play games(would like to do some live recording but still I can play it in the other room) I have a Creative Fatality on a dual core system I just built.

NASCARMIKE

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Well everone seems to have various ideas and feelings by what I read here. Right now I have a Cambridge 5-1 but the amp will not play 5-1 with vidio games. So I am looking for a new speaker and amp set up that will marry well with the Fatality and not require me to run the output from the front knock out box for spif.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I can declare no comment!!!! BOOO!!!!

LOL is an expression BTW.

To the OP... Just read the current threads... Your questions are answered there.

NASCARMIKE

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
THAT'S WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING!! THAT IS ALSO WHY I AM CONFUSED! I can build a good one but htis sound thing is so full of hype it's hard to get a straight answer. As I just witnessed. LOL

sailer

Splendid
THAT'S WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING!! THAT IS ALSO WHY I AM CONFUSED! I can build a good one but htis sound thing is so full of hype it's hard to get a straight answer. As I just witnessed. LOL

Creative makes some good speakers, as does Logitech, Klipsch, and a few others. THX is a sound standard, just as Dolby is, an most good speaker sets will support it. A good 5.1 system should do well. There are 7.1 systems out, but the extra 2 speakers aren't worth it unless you're into a theater type multi-media thing.

Big thing is to get as high an amp rating as you can afford, up to around 500 amps, because its easier to get good sound from an understressed set of speakers than an overstressed set.

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Probably no other part of your computer is more subjective than the speakers. What sounds good to one person may not sound good to someone else.

My advice is the same for all speaker systems. Figure out your budget, find a store that has them hooked up where you can listen to them and spend some time with each speaker. Find what you like and go with it.

In my experience though, most people have lousy hearing these days. Chances are you will not really be able to tell much difference between the various speakers of the same type. (5.1 -vs- 5.1 etc.) So, what you are looking for are ones that fill a room without noticable distortion.

Most direct connect speakers from Klipsh, Logitec, or creative will do that. It will most likely come down to budget/looks/options.

Oh, I would stay away from wireless speakers at all costs.

NASCARMIKE

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
OK So it't much like my surround theater in the other room, quality high rated amp and quality matching speakers. It's just that I read on all these post where on the XFI series many have the problem of no rear or even center on their games. I also have that problem with the Cambridge DTS 5-1 system that I have had for 3 years now. So I wanted to be certain that the speaker set I got would work 100% with the XFI Fatality in all it's supposed glorey in gaming. :lol:

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
As they say, sound is subjective.

Take a test disc and walk into an audio dealer and ask to try out some of their systems (they should be more than happy).

See for yourself what X $ will buy, and then decide accordingly. Afterall, like you said, otherwise everything is just hype.

NASCARMIKE

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hey folks thanks for all the info. Let me ask this then. :roll: Would the Logitech Z5450"s give me complete 5-1 surround in gaming mode with my XFI Fatality? If so the wireless rear would be great but do they work? I wanta here the guys sneaking up on me and the tanks coming and the bullits wizzing :lol: all that good stuff in CD2 :D

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I have no personal experiance with wireless speakers. However, everything I have read on them gives them a thumbs down.

I do have personal experiances with wireless devices. I have often encountered problems with signal propagation and at times the source of the interference was never found. The problems could persist for an hour or so up to a week at a time.

You may never see the same problems I have, but unless there is some overriding reason you need wireless speakers I wouldn't take the chance.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
With Creative cards, 5.1 audio in games is possible only with analog speakers. I suggest you keep that in mind while shopping.
For regular music I suggest hooking the audio card to the stereo amp and regular stereo speakers because even today majority of music is stereo only. Extra speakers IMO detorriate the sound when it comes to stereo.

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
^^^^^Damn good point^^^^^

I would ALWAYS take a pair of great stereo speakers over mediocre or even good surround systems

It's pretty fuckin easy to go wrong with bose.

Among the world of high end audio equipment bose is sort of a running joke.

Don't get me wrong they make some cool stuff, but it's always overpriced and you end up paying for technology over fidelity.

I hate klipsch in general but would have to suggest them for a pair of good 2.1 computer speakers.

AsGard

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
Sorry but the sound is subjective thing is plain rubbish.

Everybody these days deems themselfs an expert but in fact not 10% of buyers can actually hear differences in qualitiy or fidelity outside of plain noticable distortion or other phenomenances.
And in general thisd is not a shortcoming (your ears are your ears) but what is is the commerciality of products (well known brands ect) or the bad friend/families advice or the salespeech.

So indeed the best thing to do if you have the money and/or high audio demands is to go listen (with some own CD/DVD's) to everything out on the market instead of buying the mainstream or the cheap solution.
Thus the trick is to buy as best as you can get for your money.
And brands like Bose, JBL, Sony, Pioneer,.. seems to be on the first look doing good but compared with for example with Beyma, Pol, Klipsch, Focal or similar brands they perform poor. And mostly just for a few 10 or 100 bucks or euros more.
And what the PC speakers are concerned: best price/quality today is indeed creative X-fidelity SB and logitech/Creative/harman kardon 5.1 or 7.1 sets.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Sorry but the sound is subjective thing is plain rubbish.

Well it is subjective.

themselfs

Themselves.

phenomenances.

Phenomenon.

And in general thisd is not a shortcoming (your ears are your ears) but what is is the commerciality of products (well known brands ect) or the bad friend/families advice or the salespeech.

I do not understand a word of this.

So indeed the best thing to do if you have the money and/or high audio demands is to go listen (with some own CD/DVD's) to everything out on the market instead of buying the mainstream or the cheap solution.

This is true but it takes time and some companies have been known to sell their speakers only in special stores which are equipped with expensive DSP equipment and when you come to listen to the speakers they run the sound through the real-time DSP which has the feedback over hidden microphones and it adjusts the sound on the fly. That way they always sound good in the store but when you bring them back home they sound like crap. So the tip is to check if the audio cables run to another room in the particular store you are visiting.

Anyway, I vote for 2.0 stereo system because majority of music is still being produced in stereo. Subwoofer may help but if the crossover frequency is higher than 80Hz then you will end up hearing a gunshot in an action movie from a corner where your sub rests instead where it should be in the scene.

Moreover, if you want to listen to the classical or orchestrated music and you want fidelity you really need big wooden boxes. In other words, it takes the same box volume as the concert piano to be able to reproduce those lowest piano keys correctly (has to do with sound wavelength). That of course requires powerfull speaker driver and amplifier to be able to move all that air inside such a big box. Since it is impractical to make such a big stereo system people invented subwoofers but remember that crossover frequency is the most important thing there.

I have home built 2.0 system which is 2x28L bass reflex with a custom PA and it beats the crap out from every computer speakers I heard. So I stay with my advice -- better good 2.0 brand system then lousy 5.1 crap.

NASCARMIKE

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Well I am fortunate enough to have a very nice componet audio system in the Living Room. The computer is in a small (10X10) Den/Office area and except for work I use it for gaming. So I do not need the best music solution there I just would like to experance the best surround gaming audio exoeriance I can. Thats why I bought the Fatality XFI. Although later when I do another new build I may like to take this one and convert it to a Media control center. Have to get the big LCD/Plasma first though.LOL :lol: Thats why I am looking at the PC sattilite solution.

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
mmmmmm B&W mmmmmm Ditch the technics reciever man, you aren't giving your beauties the royal treatment the deserve. Check ebay for harmon kardon stereo refurbs. 80 w per channel. You will notice the improvement, especially in a nice set of speakers.