Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Epson wore out

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 8:26:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

After a year and 3 days of use, my Epson 2200 had had enough. The waste ink
pads/reservoir are full. Epson says this is "normal wear", but is not
user-serviceable. Fortunately, they will replace the printer under
warranty. Next year when this happens I'll have to pay myself for a new one
or ship it somewhere for service.

Do other makes of printer have this fatal flaw? I may be looking for a new
one in a year.

--
- Alan Justice

More about : epson wore

September 10, 2005 8:53:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Alan - Almost all of the inkjet printers have the waste ink pad full
problem. I have read that the Epsons have a tube that can be rerouted
outside the case in the back and into a collecting bottle that you can
empty. The printer probably keeps a running estimate of how much ink it
dumps into the waste ink pad and signals you to take it in for servicing (to
avoid having it overflow at some point and damage your desk, carpet, etc.
I know that the Canon's have the same issue and that there are sites on the
internet with the reset codes to keep the printer going. I have read that
with the Canon printers you can get away with one reset without servicing
the pad. I have also seen instructions on how to open the case on some
Canons and replace or clean the pad as well. The Epson 2200 is fairly
costly and I don't know how easy it is to open the case without damaging the
printer. It is very nice that Epson will replace the printer under warrany
for you as this is actually a service issue and not "wear and tear", damage,
or a defect in the general sense. The whole issue of this item not being
user-servicable for the inkjets in general is a design defect from the
consumer's viewpoint and has been discussed at length on this NG in previous
months. Since it is a predictable consequence of useing the printer, and
professional servicing is often close to the cost of a new printer, it
should be designed for easy servicing. This would be the equivalent of the
car manufacturers making oil draining and replacement sufficiently difficult
that it could only be done by mechanics at the respective manufacturers'
agencies. A predictable servicing requirement that, with proper design and
a simple description in the users' manual, could be done easily at home.

"Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
news:XODUe.507$LS5.439@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> After a year and 3 days of use, my Epson 2200 had had enough. The waste
> ink
> pads/reservoir are full. Epson says this is "normal wear", but is not
> user-serviceable. Fortunately, they will replace the printer under
> warranty. Next year when this happens I'll have to pay myself for a new
> one
> or ship it somewhere for service.
>
> Do other makes of printer have this fatal flaw? I may be looking for a
> new
> one in a year.
>
> --
> - Alan Justice
>
>
>
September 10, 2005 10:41:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

As the printer will be well out of warranty unless you have an extended
warranty, if just a year then now is the time to consider a waste bottle and
the Epson Adjustment Program. Once you have the bottle fitted you can reset
the printer as many times as required. The 2200 is a fine piece of kit I
have the 2100 which is the UK version.

To fit a waste bottle is quite simple and requires no stripping of the
printer if care is taken. All you have to do is feed a 2mm pipe through the
air vent and with long nosed pliers or tweezers feed it up to the waste
pipe, you don't even have to cut the pipe instead gently pull it up from the
pads and feed it round the head rest and connect, then away you go. There is
a lot of info out there with pictures to help if required.

My 2100 is well over four years old and still runs like the day I purchased
it. Hope this is of some help.


"Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
news:XODUe.507$LS5.439@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> After a year and 3 days of use, my Epson 2200 had had enough. The waste
ink
> pads/reservoir are full. Epson says this is "normal wear", but is not
> user-serviceable. Fortunately, they will replace the printer under
> warranty. Next year when this happens I'll have to pay myself for a new
one
> or ship it somewhere for service.
>
> Do other makes of printer have this fatal flaw? I may be looking for a
new
> one in a year.
>
> --
> - Alan Justice
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 5:48:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I've replied to you in private email concerning this issue.

Do you have any idea why your protection numbers came up sp quickly?
Are you going through a lot of cartridges, or doing a high quantity of
cleanings?

I would not consider this a normal result.

Art

Alan Justice wrote:

> After a year and 3 days of use, my Epson 2200 had had enough. The waste ink
> pads/reservoir are full. Epson says this is "normal wear", but is not
> user-serviceable. Fortunately, they will replace the printer under
> warranty. Next year when this happens I'll have to pay myself for a new one
> or ship it somewhere for service.
>
> Do other makes of printer have this fatal flaw? I may be looking for a new
> one in a year.
>
> --
> - Alan Justice
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:25:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

It's the Media Street inks. They require lots and lots of cleaning cycles
to keep the cartridges working.

--
- Alan Justice

"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:sMAVe.189822$Hk.169973@pd7tw1no...
> I've replied to you in private email concerning this issue.
>
> Do you have any idea why your protection numbers came up sp quickly?
> Are you going through a lot of cartridges, or doing a high quantity of
> cleanings?
>
> I would not consider this a normal result.
>
> Art
>
> Alan Justice wrote:
>
> > After a year and 3 days of use, my Epson 2200 had had enough. The waste
ink
> > pads/reservoir are full. Epson says this is "normal wear", but is not
> > user-serviceable. Fortunately, they will replace the printer under
> > warranty. Next year when this happens I'll have to pay myself for a new
one
> > or ship it somewhere for service.
> >
> > Do other makes of printer have this fatal flaw? I may be looking for a
new
> > one in a year.
> >
> > --
> > - Alan Justice
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 1:25:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

To me, when an ink simply doesn't properly "work" with an Epson printer
design, they need to get back to the drawing board. Either that, or
they should warn people of the extra expense that people will likely
incur from the use of a clog-prone ink.

Maybe they should offer free waste ink pad replacement if you buy a
certain amount of ink ;-)

Art




Alan Justice wrote:

> It's the Media Street inks. They require lots and lots of cleaning cycles
> to keep the cartridges working.
>
> --
> - Alan Justice
>
> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:sMAVe.189822$Hk.169973@pd7tw1no...
>
>>I've replied to you in private email concerning this issue.
>>
>>Do you have any idea why your protection numbers came up sp quickly?
>>Are you going through a lot of cartridges, or doing a high quantity of
>>cleanings?
>>
>>I would not consider this a normal result.
>>
>>Art
>>
>>Alan Justice wrote:
>>
>>
>>>After a year and 3 days of use, my Epson 2200 had had enough. The waste
>
> ink
>
>>>pads/reservoir are full. Epson says this is "normal wear", but is not
>>>user-serviceable. Fortunately, they will replace the printer under
>>>warranty. Next year when this happens I'll have to pay myself for a new
>
> one
>
>>>or ship it somewhere for service.
>>>
>>>Do other makes of printer have this fatal flaw? I may be looking for a
>
> new
>
>>>one in a year.
>>>
>>>--
>>>- Alan Justice
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:08:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

You get what you pay for. MS ink is 1/5 the price of Epson (after a $300
initial investment, which I saved in just a few months). They both look
good and are archival, being the most important things. Given the problems,
it's about borderline whether to continue with them. I will suggest that
they address the waste ink problem.

--
- Alan Justice

"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:TsHVe.190363$Hk.47144@pd7tw1no...
> To me, when an ink simply doesn't properly "work" with an Epson printer
> design, they need to get back to the drawing board. Either that, or
> they should warn people of the extra expense that people will likely
> incur from the use of a clog-prone ink.
>
> Maybe they should offer free waste ink pad replacement if you buy a
> certain amount of ink ;-)
>
> Art
>
>
>
>
> Alan Justice wrote:
>
> > It's the Media Street inks. They require lots and lots of cleaning
cycles
> > to keep the cartridges working.
> >
> > --
> > - Alan Justice
> >
> > "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > news:sMAVe.189822$Hk.169973@pd7tw1no...
> >
> >>I've replied to you in private email concerning this issue.
> >>
> >>Do you have any idea why your protection numbers came up sp quickly?
> >>Are you going through a lot of cartridges, or doing a high quantity of
> >>cleanings?
> >>
> >>I would not consider this a normal result.
> >>
> >>Art
> >>
> >>Alan Justice wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>After a year and 3 days of use, my Epson 2200 had had enough. The
waste
> >
> > ink
> >
> >>>pads/reservoir are full. Epson says this is "normal wear", but is not
> >>>user-serviceable. Fortunately, they will replace the printer under
> >>>warranty. Next year when this happens I'll have to pay myself for a
new
> >
> > one
> >
> >>>or ship it somewhere for service.
> >>>
> >>>Do other makes of printer have this fatal flaw? I may be looking for a
> >
> > new
> >
> >>>one in a year.
> >>>
> >>>--
> >>>- Alan Justice
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >
> >
> >
September 16, 2005 12:02:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> I found it easier to simply move away from clog-prone printers than to
> try to analyze "clog-prone" inks.

I don't know of any clog prone inks. I've seen the effects of some
universal inks on older canons, and gotta say the level of quality
wasnt' *as* good, but by no means did it clog the printhead. In epsons
i've seen them leak. There is some stuff at the local Big Lots that
claims to be waterproof because of it's use of solvents. That doesn't
sound all that great to me but I can't speak for it.

I can believe that use of other media might affect the printhead life.
This is a reasonable hypothesis. But I can't say that i've observed
anything that would back this up. The funny thing is, we're talking
about a product... a consumer inkjet, who's lifespan is 1 to 3 years.
Somethign that typicaly is sold with 1/2 to 2/3s it's value in ink.
We're not talking a huge investment except in consumables. We are
talking a product that is designed to be disposable. so much so that
one questions whether to buy more ink or a new printer with ink.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:38:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message:
> To me, when an ink simply doesn't properly "work" with an Epson printer
> design, they need to get back to the drawing board. Either that, or
> they should warn people of the extra expense that people will likely
> incur from the use of a clog-prone ink.

To add comment to a previous question I asked on the newsgroup, has anyone
actually made a constructive analysis of clog-prone inks?

Terry
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:38:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

ngreplies wrote:

> "Arthur Entlich" wrote in message:
>
>>To me, when an ink simply doesn't properly "work" with an Epson printer
>>design, they need to get back to the drawing board. Either that, or
>>they should warn people of the extra expense that people will likely
>>incur from the use of a clog-prone ink.
>
>
> To add comment to a previous question I asked on the newsgroup, has anyone
> actually made a constructive analysis of clog-prone inks?
>
> Terry
>

I found it easier to simply move away from clog-prone printers than to
try to analyze "clog-prone" inks.

Canons and the type of inks they use are not clog prone unless left idle
for a few weeks. But I don't have to worry since I use both of my Canons
at least twice a week, with non Canon inks. Infrequent use is the
printer's worst enemy.

Matter of fact Measekite fears clogs so much (judging by the number of
posts he puts up) that he NEVER turns his printer off. It's always on
standby, ready to go. All nozzles throbbing. So at the slightest clog
rumor in this newsgroup or whiff of constipation from his printer, he
runs off 100 pages to cycle his ink. ;-)

-Taliesyn
September 16, 2005 6:34:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> My original post on this thread did not concern a cheap consumer inkjet, but
> an Epson 2200 (US$650). Okay, maybe a cheap pro printer. But I can't be
> replacing it every year because of clogged jets. My impression is that my
> problem here has to do with the non-Epson inks I use (Media Street) with a
> reservoir system. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the cartridges
> don't get replaced, normally.

Hey I'd seriously consider a 2200. I rather thought you could e-bay
them for under $400, but clearly this may or may not be true depending
on the mood of the sellers.

http://www.inkrepublic.com/KnowledgeBase/WasteInk.asp

Anyone with an epson printer using bulk ink should seriously consider
rerouting of the waste ink to an external reservoir. Actually this
wouldn't be a bad idea for OEM users either, esp out of warranty OEM
users. I have no personal experence with the media street ink, but I
imagine it is possible that it requires more cleanings than OEM. But
the cleaning cycles on the epson are pretty massive to begin with.

But this is a fact of life on inkjets, more so on Epsons.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:13:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

All of them

ngreplies wrote:

>"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message:
>
>
>>To me, when an ink simply doesn't properly "work" with an Epson printer
>>design, they need to get back to the drawing board. Either that, or
>>they should warn people of the extra expense that people will likely
>>incur from the use of a clog-prone ink.
>>
>>
>
>To add comment to a previous question I asked on the newsgroup, has anyone
>actually made a constructive analysis of clog-prone inks?
>
>Terry
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:15:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Taliesyn wrote:

> ngreplies wrote:
>
>> "Arthur Entlich" wrote in message:
>>
>>> To me, when an ink simply doesn't properly "work" with an Epson printer
>>> design, they need to get back to the drawing board. Either that, or
>>> they should warn people of the extra expense that people will likely
>>> incur from the use of a clog-prone ink.
>>
>>
>>
>> To add comment to a previous question I asked on the newsgroup, has
>> anyone
>> actually made a constructive analysis of clog-prone inks?
>>
>> Terry
>>
>
> I found it easier to simply move away from clog-prone printers than to
> try to analyze "clog-prone" inks.
>
> Canons and the type of inks they use are not clog prone unless left idle
> for a few weeks. But I don't have to worry since I use both of my Canons
> at least twice a week, with non Canon inks. Infrequent use is the
> printer's worst enemy.

The kid cannot afford to go on a vacation. ha ha ha

>
> Matter of fact Measekite fears clogs so much (judging by the number of
> posts he puts up) that he NEVER turns his printer off. It's always on
> standby, ready to go.


Hey shmuck, the printers are on a network 24/7. You never turn them
off. You gotta be a jackass or real stupid. Well, you are not a high
school graduate so what do you expect.

> All nozzles throbbing.

What is wrong with your Dick

> So at the slightest clog
> rumor in this newsgroup or whiff of constipation from his printer, he
> runs off 100 pages to cycle his ink. ;-)
>
> -Taliesyn
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:21:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

zakezuke wrote:

>>I found it easier to simply move away from clog-prone printers than to
>>try to analyze "clog-prone" inks.
>>
>>
>
>I don't know of any clog prone inks.
>

THEY ALL ARE.

>I've seen the effects of some
>universal inks on older canons, and gotta say the level of quality
>wasnt' *as* good, but by no means did it clog the printhead.
>

BULLSHIT

>In epsons
>i've seen them leak. There is some stuff at the local Big Lots that
>claims to be waterproof because of it's use of solvents. That doesn't
>sound all that great to me but I can't speak for it.
>
>I can believe that use of other media might affect the printhead life.
>This is a reasonable hypothesis. But I can't say that i've observed
>anything that would back this up. The funny thing is, we're talking
>about a product... a consumer inkjet, who's lifespan is 1 to 3 years.
>Somethign that typicaly is sold with 1/2 to 2/3s it's value in ink.
>We're not talking a huge investment except in consumables. We are
>talking a product that is designed to be disposable. so much so that
>one questions whether to buy more ink or a new printer with ink.
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:29:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

My original post on this thread did not concern a cheap consumer inkjet, but
an Epson 2200 (US$650). Okay, maybe a cheap pro printer. But I can't be
replacing it every year because of clogged jets. My impression is that my
problem here has to do with the non-Epson inks I use (Media Street) with a
reservoir system. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the cartridges
don't get replaced, normally.

--
- Alan Justice

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126838698.366232.220920@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > I found it easier to simply move away from clog-prone printers than to
> > try to analyze "clog-prone" inks.
>
> I don't know of any clog prone inks. I've seen the effects of some
> universal inks on older canons, and gotta say the level of quality
> wasnt' *as* good, but by no means did it clog the printhead. In epsons
> i've seen them leak. There is some stuff at the local Big Lots that
> claims to be waterproof because of it's use of solvents. That doesn't
> sound all that great to me but I can't speak for it.
>
> I can believe that use of other media might affect the printhead life.
> This is a reasonable hypothesis. But I can't say that i've observed
> anything that would back this up. The funny thing is, we're talking
> about a product... a consumer inkjet, who's lifespan is 1 to 3 years.
> Somethign that typicaly is sold with 1/2 to 2/3s it's value in ink.
> We're not talking a huge investment except in consumables. We are
> talking a product that is designed to be disposable. so much so that
> one questions whether to buy more ink or a new printer with ink.
>
September 16, 2005 8:29:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Alan Justice wrote:
> My original post on this thread did not concern a cheap consumer inkjet, but
> an Epson 2200 (US$650). Okay, maybe a cheap pro printer. But I can't be
> replacing it every year because of clogged jets. My impression is that my
> problem here has to do with the non-Epson inks I use (Media Street) with a
> reservoir system. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the cartridges
> don't get replaced, normally.
>
> --
> - Alan Justice
>
> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1126838698.366232.220920@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
>>>I found it easier to simply move away from clog-prone printers than to
>>>try to analyze "clog-prone" inks.
>>
>>I don't know of any clog prone inks. I've seen the effects of some
>>universal inks on older canons, and gotta say the level of quality
>>wasnt' *as* good, but by no means did it clog the printhead. In epsons
>>i've seen them leak. There is some stuff at the local Big Lots that
>>claims to be waterproof because of it's use of solvents. That doesn't
>>sound all that great to me but I can't speak for it.
>>
>>I can believe that use of other media might affect the printhead life.
>>This is a reasonable hypothesis. But I can't say that i've observed
>>anything that would back this up. The funny thing is, we're talking
>>about a product... a consumer inkjet, who's lifespan is 1 to 3 years.
>>Somethign that typicaly is sold with 1/2 to 2/3s it's value in ink.
>>We're not talking a huge investment except in consumables. We are
>>talking a product that is designed to be disposable. so much so that
>>one questions whether to buy more ink or a new printer with ink.
>>
>
>
>
Of course you've contacted Media Street about your problem right?
What was their recommended solution?
Frank
September 16, 2005 10:38:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> they would not tell him who the mfg/formulator was

Media Street makes their own ink and paper. Their plug and play inks
might be made by Image Specalists but their mainstream products are
stuff they mfg and formulate. I do not understand why you continue to
lie on this subject.

We need good people who are critcal of 3rd party solutions who are
happy to play devils advocate and point out in all fairness and honesty
what OEM offers over the other guys. Why don't you do this?
September 16, 2005 11:11:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

zakezuke wrote:
>>they would not tell him who the mfg/formulator was
>
>
> Media Street makes their own ink and paper. Their plug and play inks
> might be made by Image Specalists but their mainstream products are
> stuff they mfg and formulate. I do not understand why you continue to
> lie on this subject.
>
> We need good people who are critcal of 3rd party solutions who are
> happy to play devils advocate and point out in all fairness and honesty
> what OEM offers over the other guys. Why don't you do this?
>
Because he's an known idiot-a moron without a brain-a know nothing
pretending to know something.
Kill file the jackass jerk and be done with him.
Frank
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:18:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Frank wrote:

> Alan Justice wrote:
>
>> My original post on this thread did not concern a cheap consumer
>> inkjet, but
>> an Epson 2200 (US$650). Okay, maybe a cheap pro printer. But I
>> can't be
>> replacing it every year because of clogged jets. My impression is
>> that my
>> problem here has to do with the non-Epson inks I use (Media Street)
>> with a
>> reservoir system. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the
>> cartridges
>> don't get replaced, normally.
>>
>> --
>> - Alan Justice
>>
>> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:1126838698.366232.220920@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>>> I found it easier to simply move away from clog-prone printers than to
>>>> try to analyze "clog-prone" inks.
>>>
>>>
>>> I don't know of any clog prone inks. I've seen the effects of some
>>> universal inks on older canons, and gotta say the level of quality
>>> wasnt' *as* good, but by no means did it clog the printhead. In epsons
>>> i've seen them leak. There is some stuff at the local Big Lots that
>>> claims to be waterproof because of it's use of solvents. That doesn't
>>> sound all that great to me but I can't speak for it.
>>>
>>> I can believe that use of other media might affect the printhead life.
>>> This is a reasonable hypothesis. But I can't say that i've observed
>>> anything that would back this up. The funny thing is, we're talking
>>> about a product... a consumer inkjet, who's lifespan is 1 to 3 years.
>>> Somethign that typicaly is sold with 1/2 to 2/3s it's value in ink.
>>> We're not talking a huge investment except in consumables. We are
>>> talking a product that is designed to be disposable. so much so that
>>> one questions whether to buy more ink or a new printer with ink.
>>>
>>
>>
>>
> Of course you've contacted Media Street about your problem right?
> What was their recommended solution?
> Frank

THEY WOULD NOT TELL HIM WHO THE MFG/FORMULATOR WAS.
September 17, 2005 6:54:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> got what you deserved

Let me understand this... someone bought a product in good faith and it
didn't fit, and you are experencing joy at their misfortune?

I like being right as much as the next man but there reaches a point
where it's just in bad taste. Perhaps you could learn something about
empathy.

A few words of wisdom for you...

1. Most of the 3rd party users here have no real issue. OEM might
offer an edge over some other solution but you your self have not
explained what that edge is.
2. Those who experence issues come here looking for support. These
are humans who deserve kindness and respect
3. This isn't a war. There is nothing wrong with competition on the
market for supplies, in fact competition between ink mfgs benifits the
consumer as it gives the main stream media providers a reason to make
their product better.
4. You don't experence personal injury every time someone makes a
choice to use a 3rd party product. There is no reason for you to be
obsessed with Canon OEM ink. Take a step back, develop some
objectivity, actually learn what options are available and establish a
rational why one might choose one or the other.

For example... I don't tell everyone not to use Canon OEM ink. I think
it's over priced for what it is, something that has been tested for 25
years under glass, or the new formula that has been tested for 10 years
exposed to air on premium OEM paper. This isn't all that great...
canon would be wise to offer consumers imageGRAFF pigments in consumer
models, perhaps with a nifty head upgrade. But I can respect anyone
who has used it and feels the price is worth it.

But alas, my words are wasted on you.. you'll just go into caps lock
nonsense mode and harrass me for expressing a different opinion even
though being a human being like your self I have the right to make my
own choices in what I buy.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 3:31:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Yeah, that's fine that you found a system that is acceptable to you, but
I do not believe you are producing archival art paints.

Good luck finding a truly non-fugitive ink to run through the Canon
printer you use.

The O.P. had this ink because the permanence it imparted was required to
Ted other side of the coin, the merchants.


Taliesyn wrote:

> ngreplies wrote:
>
>> "Arthur Entlich" wrote in message:
>>
>>> To me, when an ink simply doesn't properly "work" with an Epson printer
>>> design, they need to get back to the drawing board. Either that, or
>>> they should warn people of the extra expense that people will likely
>>> incur from the use of a clog-prone ink.
>>
>>
>>
>> To add comment to a previous question I asked on the newsgroup, has
>> anyone
>> actually made a constructive analysis of clog-prone inks?
>>
>> Terry
>>
>
> I found it easier to simply move away from clog-prone printers than to
> try to analyze "clog-prone" inks.
>
> Canons and the type of inks they use are not clog prone unless left idle
> for a few weeks. But I don't have to worry since I use both of my Canons
> at least twice a week, with non Canon inks. Infrequent use is the
> printer's worst enemy.
>
> Matter of fact Measekite fears clogs so much (judging by the number of
> posts he puts up) that he NEVER turns his printer off. It's always on
> standby, ready to go. All nozzles throbbing. So at the slightest clog
> rumor in this newsgroup or whiff of constipation from his printer, he
> runs off 100 pages to cycle his ink. ;-)
>
> -Taliesyn
September 17, 2005 4:53:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> oh yeah a big paper mill ha ha ha

Yes, you are pretty ignorant.

Do they make paper from pulp? Not that I'm aware
Do they have a system of inks and papers? Yes
Do they formulate their own coating on their paper? Yes

Canon offers a system of inks and papers that work well together. So
does Media Street. If you had done as much research as you say you
would know this already. I've done very little research and I'm aware
of this. I have no idea why why you feel the need to ignore facts.
Someone like you self should focus their engery on pointing out
benifits of OEM solutions vs the other guys, and huge difference
between ink mfgs/suppliers is some offer a system and others offer just
ink. Epson is pretty good... they would be tough to beat.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 9:12:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

zakezuke wrote:

>>they would not tell him who the mfg/formulator was
>>
>>
>
>Media Street makes their own ink and paper.
>

OH YEAH A BIG PAPER MILL HA HA HA

>Their plug and play inks
>might be made by Image Specalists but their mainstream products are
>stuff they mfg and formulate. I do not understand why you continue to
>lie on this subject.
>
>We need good people who are critcal of 3rd party solutions who are
>happy to play devils advocate and point out in all fairness and honesty
>what OEM offers over the other guys. Why don't you do this?
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 9:13:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Frank wrote:

> zakezuke wrote:
>
>>> they would not tell him who the mfg/formulator was
>>
>>
>>
>> Media Street makes their own ink and paper. Their plug and play inks
>> might be made by Image Specalists but their mainstream products are
>> stuff they mfg and formulate. I do not understand why you continue to
>> lie on this subject.
>>
>> We need good people who are critcal of 3rd party solutions who are
>> happy to play devils advocate and point out in all fairness and honesty
>> what OEM offers over the other guys. Why don't you do this?
>>
> Because he's an known idiot-a moron without a brain-a know nothing
> pretending to know something.
> Kill file the jackass jerk and be done with him.
> Frank

Because Frank's an known idiot-a moron without a brain-a know nothing
pretending to know something.
Kill file the jackass jerk and be done with him.
September 18, 2005 7:16:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

>> I've done very little research and
> *IT SHOWS*

Well with all due respect... you don't seem to have any information on
the subject what so ever. You seem to only have the ability to make
blanket statements that even when you are proven wrong continue to
raise a foot, switch to all caps, and repeat the same things over and
over again... even though you have no experence with ANY of these
products what so ever. While my research into the subject is minimal,
i've used a few non-standard solutions and have found your opinions to
be invalid to the extreme.

I would thank you kindly to actually apprach this subject with honesty
and integrity and allow users to make up their own minds.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 7:47:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

They have yet to admit the problem has anything to do with them. They say
Epson inks clog too. They say it isn't the inks that make the reservoir
fill, but the number of times the cleaning cycle occurs. Of course, that
cycle occurs much, much more with Media Street inks & reservoirs than with
Epson, by far. They even say that one should turn off the printer after use
(I did not have to with Epson inks), but there is a cleaning cycle whenever
it is turned back on.


--
- Alan Justice

"Frank" <fb@notspam.com> wrote in message
news:JPGWe.764$GQ4.538@fed1read05...
> Alan Justice wrote:
> > My original post on this thread did not concern a cheap consumer inkjet,
but
> > an Epson 2200 (US$650). Okay, maybe a cheap pro printer. But I can't
be
> > replacing it every year because of clogged jets. My impression is that
my
> > problem here has to do with the non-Epson inks I use (Media Street) with
a
> > reservoir system. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the
cartridges
> > don't get replaced, normally.
> >
> > --
> > - Alan Justice
> >
> > "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:1126838698.366232.220920@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> >
> >>>I found it easier to simply move away from clog-prone printers than to
> >>>try to analyze "clog-prone" inks.
> >>
> >>I don't know of any clog prone inks. I've seen the effects of some
> >>universal inks on older canons, and gotta say the level of quality
> >>wasnt' *as* good, but by no means did it clog the printhead. In epsons
> >>i've seen them leak. There is some stuff at the local Big Lots that
> >>claims to be waterproof because of it's use of solvents. That doesn't
> >>sound all that great to me but I can't speak for it.
> >>
> >>I can believe that use of other media might affect the printhead life.
> >>This is a reasonable hypothesis. But I can't say that i've observed
> >>anything that would back this up. The funny thing is, we're talking
> >>about a product... a consumer inkjet, who's lifespan is 1 to 3 years.
> >>Somethign that typicaly is sold with 1/2 to 2/3s it's value in ink.
> >>We're not talking a huge investment except in consumables. We are
> >>talking a product that is designed to be disposable. so much so that
> >>one questions whether to buy more ink or a new printer with ink.
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> Of course you've contacted Media Street about your problem right?
> What was their recommended solution?
> Frank
September 19, 2005 8:00:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Alan Justice wrote:

...but the number of times the cleaning cycle occurs. Of course, that
> cycle occurs much, much more with Media Street inks & reservoirs than with
> Epson, by far...

<--------------------------------------------------------------->

Indeed very curious. How do media street inks control the cleaning
cycles that generally are controlled by the printer driver? Are you
using Epson drivers or do media street provide 3rd party drivers with
their inks.
Frank
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 8:39:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Frank wrote:

> Alan Justice wrote:
>
> ...but the number of times the cleaning cycle occurs. Of course, that
>
>> cycle occurs much, much more with Media Street inks & reservoirs than
>> with
>> Epson, by far...
>
>
> <--------------------------------------------------------------->
>
> Indeed very curious. How do media street inks control the cleaning
> cycles that generally are controlled by the printer driver? Are you
> using Epson drivers or do media street provide 3rd party drivers with
> their inks.
> Frank

IF YOU NEED TO ASK THAT QUESTION THAN YOU ARE REAL STUPID.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 8:39:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite wrote:
>
>
> Frank wrote:
>
>> Alan Justice wrote:
>>
>> ...but the number of times the cleaning cycle occurs. Of course, that
>>
>>> cycle occurs much, much more with Media Street inks & reservoirs than
>>> with
>>> Epson, by far...
>>
>>
>>
>> <--------------------------------------------------------------->
>>
>> Indeed very curious. How do media street inks control the cleaning
>> cycles that generally are controlled by the printer driver? Are you
>> using Epson drivers or do media street provide 3rd party drivers with
>> their inks.
>> Frank
>
>
> if you need to ask that question than you are real stupid

Not at all, it's a legit question. Near as i'm aware media street only
provides a driver for use with their quad-black ink and even that is
basicly just a link to a shareware product that happens to have profiles
for mediastreet papers.

I imagine it's possible if you are not using epson chips that the epson
printer might clean it self more. I've not observed this my self but
it's a possible explanation. Could be that following directions, as in
turning the printer off results in more cleaning cycles resuing in a
full diaper. This is reasonable and likely the explanation. It could
be the fact that the archival inks offered by media street are more clog
prone and require more cleanings. This is reasonable as well but I have
no direct experence with their inks in epsons.

But regardless of the cause, if your going to be running a CIS system on
your Epson it is very wise to route the waste ink to a bin. The epson
does waste the ink... even oem ink.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 8:47:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

The cleaning cycles occur more because I have to do them because they clog
more. This may not be the ink, but because the same cartridges are used
indefinitely. And turning off the printer after use seems to prevent some
clogging, but a cleaning cycle is done on startup each time.

--
- Alan Justice

"Frank" <fb@notspam.com> wrote in message
news:rqHXe.11529$GQ4.5934@fed1read05...
> Alan Justice wrote:
>
> ...but the number of times the cleaning cycle occurs. Of course, that
> > cycle occurs much, much more with Media Street inks & reservoirs than
with
> > Epson, by far...
>
> <--------------------------------------------------------------->
>
> Indeed very curious. How do media street inks control the cleaning
> cycles that generally are controlled by the printer driver? Are you
> using Epson drivers or do media street provide 3rd party drivers with
> their inks.
> Frank
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 8:50:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

How do I reroute the ink? This problem happened after only 1 year,
requiring a new printer (under warranty, thankfully). Next year, another
new printer, or high cost to replace the pads.

--
- Alan Justice

"Matt Zukowski" <zakezuke_us@moc.oohay.invalid> wrote in message
news:D gojc5$sn1$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> measekite wrote:
> >
> >
> > Frank wrote:
> >
> >> Alan Justice wrote:
> >>
> >> ...but the number of times the cleaning cycle occurs. Of course, that
> >>
> >>> cycle occurs much, much more with Media Street inks & reservoirs than
> >>> with
> >>> Epson, by far...
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> <--------------------------------------------------------------->
> >>
> >> Indeed very curious. How do media street inks control the cleaning
> >> cycles that generally are controlled by the printer driver? Are you
> >> using Epson drivers or do media street provide 3rd party drivers with
> >> their inks.
> >> Frank
> >
> >
> > if you need to ask that question than you are real stupid
>
> Not at all, it's a legit question. Near as i'm aware media street only
> provides a driver for use with their quad-black ink and even that is
> basicly just a link to a shareware product that happens to have profiles
> for mediastreet papers.
>
> I imagine it's possible if you are not using epson chips that the epson
> printer might clean it self more. I've not observed this my self but
> it's a possible explanation. Could be that following directions, as in
> turning the printer off results in more cleaning cycles resuing in a
> full diaper. This is reasonable and likely the explanation. It could
> be the fact that the archival inks offered by media street are more clog
> prone and require more cleanings. This is reasonable as well but I have
> no direct experence with their inks in epsons.
>
> But regardless of the cause, if your going to be running a CIS system on
> your Epson it is very wise to route the waste ink to a bin. The epson
> does waste the ink... even oem ink.
September 21, 2005 3:33:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

And yet my Epson clogged on the 2nd day, the replacement clogged on
the 4th day and all with Epson inks, I only reverted to 3rd party
when the 2nd printer started going the same way.

Since I don't grow icicles, I don't use in a bakery next to an oven
& it's not in direct sunlight or near a window it still clogged.

I have had my Canon well over 3 months it not needed one manual head
clean or nozzle check to date.

It's the fact of clogging that creates this atmosphere in this NG, you
only need to look at user revies on various shopping sites, you only
need to count the number of complaints.

Epson always comes up trumps for clogging, for printing defects and
not just on this NG, it's alright saying they produced this and they
invented that, what is a firm that sells cheap printers to fleece
everyone with their overpriced ink cartridges that does not last two
minutes, just how much of your hard earned cash goes on paper, one
source revealed with a C84 that there is 20% of ink left when the red
light comes on - why will Epson not comment on this..?

Various printer manufacturers could easily make all these 3rd party
ink sales go burst by making their cartridges cheap, why won't
they..? They will no doubt boost their ink sales tenfold, but they
wont.

There is one simple reason for the chipped tank and it ain't to stop
you refilling them, it's to prevent the ink tank running dry and my
reckoning there's what I believe to be a very good valid reason for
leaving a fair amount of ink in the tank.

Davy
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 7:01:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Davy wrote:

> There is one simple reason for the chipped tank and it ain't to stop
> you refilling them, it's to prevent the ink tank running dry and my
> reckoning there's what I believe to be a very good valid reason for
> leaving a fair amount of ink in the tank.
>
> Davy
>

I really don't see a problem with my Epson R200 running with dry ink
tanks at all. Not only once but constantly I print with a few cartridges
bone dry. For sometime I thought I was killing my R200 which I was
about to give up. Some cartridges were empty and it was later put aside
for at least 2 months. I decided to give it a try by installing a set of
new cartridges. Man, it took no time to surprise me. Everything worked
just like new. Not a missing pixel whatsoever. It cost me a set of new
carts for me to find out that the chip must not be for the purpose of
preventing you from running with dry ink tanks.
!