Bluetooth problem on hx4700

January 19, 2005 11:53:06 AM

I have an hx4700 which I love. I am trying to connect it to my desktop PC
at work, just so I can explore files on my desktop from my PPC. I have a
USB 3COM bluetooth adaptor. Although I can send files from the desktop to
the PPC, I can't setup a connection from the PPC, to explore the desktop PC.
On the PPC, I go to browse files on a remote device and it sees my desktop
PC. Then I select "next" and it says "service discovery" then it says the
"service discovery was unsuccessful". Obviously bluetooth is enabled on the
desktop because they see each other, but can't actually connect. Does
anyone know if I'm missing something?!?
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 10:40:39 AM

"Darin" <darinr@endpcnoise.com> wrote in message
>I have an hx4700 which I love. I am trying to connect it to my desktop PC
>at work, just so I can explore files on my desktop from my PPC. I have a
>USB 3COM bluetooth adaptor. Although I can send files from the desktop to
>the PPC, I can't setup a connection from the PPC, to explore the desktop
>PC. On the PPC, I go to browse files on a remote device and it sees my
>desktop PC. Then I select "next" and it says "service discovery" then it
>says the "service discovery was unsuccessful". Obviously bluetooth is
>enabled on the desktop because they see each other, but can't actually
>connect. Does anyone know if I'm missing something?!?

The 3COM Bluetooth software is not the most up to date one, and it lacks
lots of profiles. I can't recall if the OBEX File Transfer is one of the
"missing" profiles, but I recommend getting a TDK, Belkin, D-LINK or
Bluetake, based on a Widcomm/Broadcom stack.

The 3COM also will not support PAN (LAN access) or LAP (LAN sharing) if one
day you want it.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com
January 20, 2005 1:23:50 PM

Oh okay, so I'll need a whole new bluetooth device?

!