ATI Wonder 650

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
It is just like the TV Wonder Elite but it has added support for HD digital signals. There is still lag, which makes playing console games through the card impossible. The filtering is slightly better than the 550 based cards. The radio is the same. One major change compared to the older versions is the software. It is still garbage but it now resembles Microsoft's Media Center program. I say it is garbage because it is buggy and although more visually appealing, the layout is cluttered thus harder to navigate compared to previous versions. If you have Windows XP MCE or use some other software to go with the card, then this would be a good purchase. Also I think Vista Home and Ultimate will have support to watch TV through a Media Center like program so no addition software will be needed. I believe you need a driver for Vista though in order to get it to work (I tried the one for XP and the program would not work with this card).

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
they couldn't get past channel 43 or some weird number like that...it was only in a handful of them but they recalled them all to be safe.

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I recieved the form that offers it but I will not get it. I had a remote with my previous 550 based cards and I really didn't care for it (or ATI's crappy software package).

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
After playing around with the 650 for the first extended period time today since I've owned it, I must say that I'm unimpressed with it. The over the air digital wasn't that great (perhaps it is better w/ cable but I can't judge since I don't have digital cable). The analog looked the same to me, the composite seemed to be staticy, and the S-Video wouldn't work. Looking at the underside of my card there were two black wires soldered to the board in order to short out some connections. Then the two wires were hot glued to the board, for what I guess is to prevent them from being pulled out. I'm assuming that this unit I picked up was a recertified board from ATI that received a quick patch up then was sent off. I will be returning this to Best Buy today and afterward I will just stick with my old TV Wonder Elite. This card has potential but ATI needs to get the bugs out first.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
That stuff you see on the bottom isn't re-certified, its what i believe ati did to all their cards in order to prevent the channel issue i mentioned.

Are you getting a good signal for the OTA HD signal? What kind of antenna are you using?

I planned on getting this card because i thought the OTA HD signal would be beautiful...i'm using 19" widescreen lcd's and analog cable tv looks wayyy too grainy for my liking.

let me know what kind of monitor and video card you have please.

thanks

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
That stuff you see on the bottom isn't re-certified, its what i believe ati did to all their cards in order to prevent the channel issue i mentioned.

It's possible but there isn't any on my TV Wonder Elite.

Are you getting a good signal for the OTA HD signal? What kind of antenna are you using?

No, I wasn't getting a good signal. Also the software provided seemed to have issues with the digital tuner. It just didn't operate as smoothly as it did with analog. This could be attributed to new software that was released with this card. They now use a media center like interface called Catalyst Media Center. After a few updates these issues may be ironed out. BTW, the antenna I'm using is standard bunny ear antenna. I use it with my HDTV and the HD signals come in just fine.

let me know what kind of monitor and video card you have please.

I am currently using an ATI Radeon X800 XL. I have 2 monitors hooked up to it. One being the Viewsonic VX724 and the other is a Samsung SyncMaster 730B. The VX724 is the primary and the 730B is the secondary.

If you are looking to get this card, I suggest waiting a month or so for a few bugs to be worked out. If you are willing to wait even longer, I suggest waiting for the Cable Cards to come out (sometime in 2007 I believe). As I said, the quality wasn't all that great compared to the TV Wonder Elite. If you really have your heart set on getting one of these cards right now, then you may want to stop by your local Best Buy because when I went to return mine there were still several on the shelves.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
thanks for your info...i just called two different local BB's and neither of them had it in stock...i guess it will be on its way here soon?