I am torn between am2 and core2duo

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I can't decide if I want an AM2 , so that I can eventually buy another 7900GS and run SLI (in a few months), or go with core2duo and be limited to only 1 gfx card. I will be OC/ing either way, and no doubt core2duo seems like a much better overclocking platform, but I am saddened by the lack of SLI.

any opinion on what i should do ?

I can't decide if I want an AM2 , so that I can eventually buy another 7900GS and run SLI (in a few months), or go with core2duo and be limited to only 1 gfx card. I will be OC/ing either way, and no doubt core2duo seems like a much better overclocking platform, but I am saddened by the lack of SLI.

any opinion on what i should do ?

Build the C2D and keep your present system intact. Add the second card and have your SLI like you want (get a widescreen for it). Build the C2D and have fun with it.

You might even get a less expensive C2D compatible MB now, Like P5B. Then wait for the 590 SLI C2D baords coming soon and make an SLI rig out it afterall. That's what I'm doin' :D

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
SLi is easily enabled on 975X. The only thing 975X can't do currently is Quad-SLi, but they are working on it.

Just fire something like 'The way it's not meant to be played' to me on MSN and you'll get a little surprise. :D

Performance/$-wise X1900GT and X1900XT 256MB are currently dominating the market. Then there's the image quality issue on 79xx cards which you hear so often when people are comparing X19xx to 79xx in gfx forum.
Seeing as the "hacked" drivers are generally outdated, 975X would not be good for a 7900GS SLI pair.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
The Intel boards support ATI's crossfire, currently. With ATI now owned by Intel's competitor AMD I wouldn't be so sure the BadAxe and P5W DH won't soon have official Nvidia SLI drivers. It's just software, thus the hacks, there's no hardware reason for Nvidia SLI not to run on Intel boards. Anyway I do believe the 1900XT is better than any Nvidia card at the moment. Thus, I'd easily pick the Conroe system over AMD, there's no downside.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I agree, get the Ati 1900xtx, it is ruling the performance and image quality.
ATI's Linux drivers either totally suck or are non-existent depending on which ATI card you have.

nVidia Linux drivers work very well, and for its entire product range.

If you're planning on ever running Linux, stay away from ATI.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
AMD card? you mean CPU right? Ill be getting AM2 ;) takes more then one good product for me to consider the company worth buying from or i woulda got a nvidia back when the geforce was made. Ill wait and see if intel can keep thier cpus from sucking as they have had trouble with that for so long. I'm more interested what intels "next gen" cpu will do vs the "next gen" AMD cpu more then i care to jump on a whole new platform just because they have a edge right now. Who knows maybe ill go back to intel again.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
AMD card? you mean CPU right? Ill be getting AM2 ;) takes more then one good product for me to consider the company worth buying from or i woulda got a nvidia back when the geforce was made. Ill wait and see if intel can keep thier cpus from sucking as they have had trouble with that for so long. I'm more interested what intels "next gen" cpu will do vs the "next gen" AMD cpu more then i care to jump on a whole new platform just because they have a edge right now. Who knows maybe ill go back to intel again.

Nah I meant ATI. sorry, typo. ACtually they're all the same company now anyway since AMD bought them. One-stop shopping for AMD/ATI fanbois :)

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Well i do like AMD and ATI and have owned both for a long time now. I find it strang they would buy ATI though when they have worked so close to nvidia for so long. If they can make both products work really good together i defanitly wouldnt ruin my day.

If $ is any consieration, I think the AM2 is the way to go right now for your situation. The motherboards are generally cheaper and there are currently more available than the C2D. If you want to use the C2D than by all means go for it. I still think the AM2 is still the cheapest way to go if your on a budget. Like it was stated before, I would go with the x1900xt video card. If you want an nVidia card than by all means go with the 7900gtx. My preferance would be the AM2 and ATI x1900xt, but that is my opinion. The C2D is also a good solid system, so don't rule it out (I wouldn't), just weigh all of pros/cons before you purchase (research).

My 2cp

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
As much as I hate intel (I really hate Intel) they done something very special with the C2D and their new microprocessor (1.91Mhz...THIS IS NOT A MISPRINT. Running XP...On 95% load. Unsure of site, so will have the google it)

Really, get the C2D, it's so good, even better than AMD.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
What a shame, months after core2 release, Intel still cant get SLI together. Its almost comical, especially since the high end boards go for $180-$250 and comparable AM2 boards are $100.

As far as the system, the core2 is the best for the money if your going non sli, decent boards can be bought for $115-150.

What does intel have to do with SLI ? Nothing. intel make cpus and mobo chipsets not graphics cards.
Its nVidia that have chosen to make their drivers only enable SLI on nvidia motherboard chipsets. There's no technical reason for that, just marketing. Don't blame intel for nVidia's stupidity.

tlreaves

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Go with Core2Duo. Right now AM2 has worse performance and by the time AMD comes out with a better chip, the motherboards that are out now will most likely be obsolete in terms of features and memory performance. You can get a cheap Core2Duo now that will out perform any Athlon (not withstanding OC) for a very reasonable price. Core2 is a much better architecture design that Athlon X2 right now, but may not be the case later. Why pair up a future great AMD chip with an old obsolete MOBO you buy now? Not economically or performace smart. Get Core2 and a decent MOBO, then if you feel like building an AMD rig later you have a good second PC for entertainment, server, kids or whaterver.

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I think that you can run sli with core 2 duo. Check Asus P5nSLI motherboard. It supports core 2 Duo and Core 2 duo extreme. It has 2 pciE bays, their only limitation is that when working in sli they run at 8x. This board comes with an nvidia 5700 chipset so you will have no trouble running sli. Saying that I think Core 2 Duo is a better game/app performance option.

sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Costs $250 but this board

ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP Socket T is SLI compatible and supports Full x16 x2 with a 3rd slot running at x8

2 x PCI Express x16 slot, support NVIDIA SLI technology, at full x16, x16 speed(blue and black) 1 x PCI Express x16, at x8 speed(middle)

fmarshal

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
The non premium version of that board, ASUS P5N32-SLI, has all the same features minus the WiFi stuff. nForce 570 SLI chipset. Should be available closer to the $120 budget. I have it myself and it runs well.