Earthlink ADSL

natcom26

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2005
Im some what lost on this one

I am setting up EarthLink ADSL for small-business they got a new Modem/router Netopia 4652
I call ISP to find out what settings the modem/router was configure they tell me NAT is desable and
DHCP is not Turn on that I would have to e-mail them with the settings I will need.

Now this ADSL package came with 5 static IP addresses in the 66.149.42.xx if I use one of those ip addresses on my laptop connected directly to the modem I am able to connect to the web

they are about 20 computers connected to a switch on this LAN none of then have Internet connection at this time

now my question is those the ISP need to enable NAT and turn on DHCP ?

those connecting a router to the modem will cancel the need off NAT and DHCP on the ADSL modem?

At this time there is a Air port extreme router I can use

what should be the proper way to give internet acess to those computers

thank you for your assistance

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
You have 5 static IPs and 20+ computers that need an IP. Yep, you need to have NAT.

what sort of a network are you running? Peer-to-peer? Server? If so, what type? Is DHCP on on the server?

You can have Earthlink do it, or you can use the Airstream router. Either will work. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both options.

Mike.

riser

Illustrious
It'd be easy to have Earthlink set up DHCP, but then you wouldn't be able to access it for troubleshooting.

I'd put the wireless device in, configure it with DHCP and security, and run the modem/router into the wireless. Let that dish out DHCP and stuff. Use one static IP for your router or whatever, then you can have the 4 others for web hosting, ftp or whatever you want.