1Gb + 256Mb ok together?

Supermint

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Hi all,

Hopefully in a few days i will be getting me a 1Gb stick of Pc3200 memory.

Now i currently have 2 sticks of 256Mb Pc3200 so i wanted to remove just the oe 256Mb stick and replace it with the 1Gb so that i have a 1Gb stick + 256Mb stick.

Will this work ok?

Also does it matter which memory socket i put the 1Gb stick in or can it go in any of them?

My motherboard is here....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c00070288.jpg

The maximum supported ram for mobo is 2Gb.

Thanks,I just wanted to make sure it will be ok before i go buying a stick.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Just make sure you buy the right memory, unbuffered, Non-ECC.
As long as you buy the right memory you are ok.

Also, low latency so you will get good perfomance.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Also, low latency so you will get good perfomance.

That is INCORRECT.

Slim obviously does not understand "By SPD" for memory timings. It is not possible to change the memory timings for individual RAM slots. The motherboard reads the SPD data from each stick of memory in a PC, and sets each timing value to the HIGHEST COMMON DENOMINATOR. So sticking one very old stick of crap in a system, then installing some whizz-bang OC-friendly super stick is a complete waste of time, as the RAM timings will default to the highest (worst) value supported by the slowest stick.

Just remember that after putting that 1GB stick of RAM in that board, YOU MUST NOT SPEND ANOTHER CENT ON THAT SYSTEM! It's an old piece of junk, and as such, more memory is the only legitimate expense for it.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Oh sorry for that. thanks for teaching me something new.

And you are right, Supermint, dont spend more money on that piece of crap. If you believe you can make it better, you are right but instead of wasting your money, save for a new system which is a better way to spend money.

Supermint

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Guys i appreciate your help but my system isnt a piece of crap.

Yes it may be older but it still plays games like Doom 3 and fear perfect.

Your giving the forum a bad reputation if your telling people their computers crap.

Have you ever considred thinking that some people cannot afford high end systems?

Dont you think i already know i will never get my mone back on what ive spend on the system?

Seriusly guys think before replying.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
What Mobius meant to say, before he got geeky, was that yes, as long as you buy all the same type of sticks (PC3200), you will be fine. You can mix and match 128, 256, 512, 1GB, 2GB all you want, up to the limit the board supports. Unless you drool over benchmarks, you'll never feel any performance difference if memory is 3 yrs old or bought yesterday. The memory is way faster than your hard drive, DVD-ROM, and Internet connection. The key thing to remember is that Windows, and most games, like lots of memory, so buy all you can afford.

Supermint

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Hi SciFiMan,

Yeah but realy its wrong to say peoples computers are junk,Imo,Ive come here and asked a simple question and been told my computer is a P.O.S 8O

They give the forum a bad reputation.

Im not gonna be upgrading anything else other than the memory on this system because i currently only play a game called Warrock and t lags a little with 512Mb so getting 1Gb will sort it out.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
No offence brother, but im not saying throw away your machine, burn your machine or just sell it. Im telling you that maybe a good idea might be to save and get a good system (not high-end) because that might be a better way to spend money.

Supermint

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Thats what i am doing.

Im saving up to buy a new one,But in the meanwhile im stuck with this rig and i play alot of Warrock which besicly needs 1Gb of memory to run smooth or it will lag (Which it does)

As i said im only upgrading the ram on this system then thats it.

Nothing else.

Anyway thanks for your help,Should be getting my ram in a few days.

TRENDING THREADS