Sign in with
Your question

Thermal Paste needed?

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2006 1:09:02 AM

Hey guys,

I just got the amd athlon 64 3500+. I also bought artic silver thermal paste. After reading the amd processor manual it stated that:

"The heat sink/fan provided with your retail AMD processor has pre-applied thermal interface material."

I do plan to use the heat sink/fan that came with the processor. My question is, does the thermal paste need to be applied?

Thanks

More about : thermal paste needed

September 20, 2006 1:16:49 AM

you need to take the "pre applied" thermal paste off of the stock AMD heatsink first.

Rubbing alcohol or isopropyl with a Qtip will do the trick. Don't use anything taht will leave dust on it, like tissue or soft cloth with line.
September 20, 2006 2:29:59 AM

Quote:
you need to take the "pre applied" thermal paste off of the stock AMD heatsink first.

Rubbing alcohol or isopropyl with a Qtip will do the trick. Don't use anything taht will leave dust on it, like tissue or soft cloth with line.

Don't use Q-tips as they can need small fibers on the heat sink, use a paper coffee filter instead. Leaves no fiber residue.
Related resources
September 20, 2006 4:31:16 AM

Thanks for clearing things up. I mistakedly touched the heat spreader with my bare finger, will this cause a problem?
September 20, 2006 4:52:19 AM

you mean the aluminum fins? then no

if u touched the base, thne just clean off your fingerprint.

nothing will blow up 8)
September 20, 2006 8:20:22 AM

u dont need 2 apply the as5

the thermal pad that comes on the stock HSF is ok

the as5 may take 1-2 degrees off though
September 20, 2006 11:16:16 AM

Think of the AS5 as an upgrade, you don't need to use it but it work a little better than what's on there now. And yes don't just wipe the oold paste off with any old rag!
September 20, 2006 11:40:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for clearing things up. I mistakedly touched the heat spreader with my bare finger, will this cause a problem?

For the best results, you should clean the fingerprint off the heat spreader with alcohol and reapply the AS5. Body oil residue potentially reduces the effectiveness of AS5. Here is the installation bible:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions....
!