sharky69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Hey guys,

I just got the amd athlon 64 3500+. I also bought artic silver thermal paste. After reading the amd processor manual it stated that:

"The heat sink/fan provided with your retail AMD processor has pre-applied thermal interface material."

I do plan to use the heat sink/fan that came with the processor. My question is, does the thermal paste need to be applied?

Thanks

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
you need to take the "pre applied" thermal paste off of the stock AMD heatsink first.

Rubbing alcohol or isopropyl with a Qtip will do the trick. Don't use anything taht will leave dust on it, like tissue or soft cloth with line.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
you need to take the "pre applied" thermal paste off of the stock AMD heatsink first.

Rubbing alcohol or isopropyl with a Qtip will do the trick. Don't use anything taht will leave dust on it, like tissue or soft cloth with line.

Don't use Q-tips as they can need small fibers on the heat sink, use a paper coffee filter instead. Leaves no fiber residue.

sharky69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for clearing things up. I mistakedly touched the heat spreader with my bare finger, will this cause a problem?

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Think of the AS5 as an upgrade, you don't need to use it but it work a little better than what's on there now. And yes don't just wipe the oold paste off with any old rag!