Comparison/Experience Question. HP LaserJet 2840 vs Canon ..

If I bite the bullet at spend $1000 for a laser all in one I would like to
have personal stories of people's experience with the HP LaserJet 2840 or
Canon MF8170c.

I was over at Office Depot where they had a working HP LaserJet 2840 and an
unconnected Canon MF8170c. I thought that the HP product gave a very good
copy. Reviews indicated that it was not good as a FAX, and it certainly was
not a color FAX. When I got to the spec, there was some nonsense about
manual duplex whatever that was.

Another question I have is: What is the shelf time is for laser toner? One
of my complaints about in jets is that the ink dries in the printheads if it
does not get used. Does toner clump or otherwise go bad sitting in the
cartridge for extended periods?

Bill

ME

In message <6doui1tkea6m1jmfblt6q5nvsc29p35fam@4ax.com>, Marek Williams
<abc@example.com> writes
>On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:39:08 GMT, <salmonegg@sbcglobal.net> dijo:
>
>>Another question I have is: What is the shelf time is for laser toner? One
>>of my complaints about in jets is that the ink dries in the printheads if it
>>does not get used. Does toner clump or otherwise go bad sitting in the
>>cartridge for extended periods?
>
>Can't respond to your other questions, but don't worry about shelf
>life of laser toner. I have three big Laserjets and I go through 15-20
>cartridges a month.

Ouch, thats rather a lot! Couldn't you get a larger capacity machine?

>Over the years I have probably gone through a
>thousand cartridges. I buy all of them on eBay, most very old -- years
>and years. Never a problem because of the age of the cartridge. Toner
>does not degrade or dry out. In fact, HP warrants their toner
>cartridges essentially forever (until it is used up).

The toner for my Canon machine (they stopped making the machine about 5
years ago) doesn't seem to have any expiry date on at all. This is toner
that I just pour into the machine.

--
Timothy

ME

In message <vrk1j153c32j17ql6b13lu4ljla03t1et3@4ax.com>, Marek Williams
<abc@example.com> writes
>And before someone says I need to get a printing press, I am doing
>short run textbooks (100-200 copies at a time, max) where the material
>changes every 15 minutes and must be edited constantly.

What about a risograph machine?

--
Timothy

ME

In message <1mvbj197vc0mcr1j06rrjt8ne8vvhd9t6r@4ax.com>, Marek Williams
<abc@example.com> writes
>On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:26:37 +0100, "me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net>
>dijo:
>>What about a risograph machine?
>An intriguing question!
>
>I have looked at Risograph, and they are very interesting. However,
>after doing the math, my current equipment (Laserjet 8000s) is still a
>bit cheaper. Plus, with the Laserjet 8000s I have the assurance of
>supplies for a very long time. HP sold gazillions of these things.
>With the Risograph I'd have to buy OEM because there are no third
>party suppliers, and that scares me.

Fair enough, I know our churches share a Riso machine for weekly parish
news sheets. Personally, most of my usage is on a big old Canon
machine, for which I can pick up OEM consumables at about half the
'official' retail price. Funnily enough, just as I'm typing this
someone called to say they have some toner left from a machine they used
to have. IIRC the 8000 (colour version) series uses the same motor as
the Canon 660

--
Timothy