I downloaded a Windows update and it appears to have affected my Screen
Display. On start up the Screen now always sets itself at 640x480 pixels so
hardly anything fits my Screen. Every time this happens I change back via
Settings and click "Apply" but next time I switch on my computer the pixels
revert to 64ox480.

Help, someone. How to I set it for good to ma reasonable size?

--
John

Update your video drivers from the manufacturer's website.

"John Newton" <JohnNewton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded a Windows update and it appears to have affected my Screen
> Display. On start up the Screen now always sets itself at 640x480 pixels
> so
> hardly anything fits my Screen. Every time this happens I change back via
> Settings and click "Apply" but next time I switch on my computer the
> pixels
> revert to 64ox480.
>
> Help, someone. How to I set it for good to ma reasonable size?
>
> --
> John

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Hi John,

You don't say which update you downloaded. If it was a driver, that is the
problem. Never take driver updates from WU, always go to the web-site of the
hardware Mfg. for drivers. The most notorious example is the Nvidia driver
from WU. If this is the case, download the proper driver and install it.

LOL, JAX

"John Newton" <JohnNewton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded a Windows update and it appears to have affected my Screen
> Display. On start up the Screen now always sets itself at 640x480 pixels
> so
> hardly anything fits my Screen. Every time this happens I change back via
> Settings and click "Apply" but next time I switch on my computer the
> pixels
> revert to 64ox480.
>
> Help, someone. How to I set it for good to ma reasonable size?
>
> --
> John

Then why reply?

"Ramd" <dsf@dfds.com> wrote in message
>I have no idea. Sorry

Jax,

The dowload was Windows Service Pack 2.

I have been told it has given problems and I should uninstall and revert to
Service Pack 1 but do not know if this is correct.

Any ideas?

John

"John Newton" wrote:

> I downloaded a Windows update and it appears to have affected my Screen
> Display. On start up the Screen now always sets itself at 640x480 pixels so
> hardly anything fits my Screen. Every time this happens I change back via
> Settings and click "Apply" but next time I switch on my computer the pixels
> revert to 64ox480.
>
> Help, someone. How to I set it for good to ma reasonable size?
>
> --
> John

Since no one seemed to be able to help I checked through for na couple of
days and in the end found that one shortcut on my Start Up File was causing
the trouble. I removed the file and solved the problem. I mention this is
case anyone else has a simliar difficulty in future.

John

"JAX" wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> You don't say which update you downloaded. If it was a driver, that is the
> problem. Never take driver updates from WU, always go to the web-site of the
> hardware Mfg. for drivers. The most notorious example is the Nvidia driver
> from WU. If this is the case, download the proper driver and install it.
>
> LOL, JAX
>
> "John Newton" <JohnNewton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I downloaded a Windows update and it appears to have affected my Screen
> > Display. On start up the Screen now always sets itself at 640x480 pixels
> > so
> > hardly anything fits my Screen. Every time this happens I change back via
> > Settings and click "Apply" but next time I switch on my computer the
> > pixels
> > revert to 64ox480.
> >
> > Help, someone. How to I set it for good to ma reasonable size?
> >
> > --
> > John

I have had this same problem, but it started before I downloaded the windows
service pack 2. I have evan had to restart at an earlier time because the
fonts were so large I could not hit apply and ok in control panel. I also
want to know what is causing it. I tried everything, ad aware, spyblaster,
constant updates with virus protection, and windows updates. My problem first
started when i clicked the mouse and used the wheel to scroll on e-mail list.
I scrolled the wheel and dispay images grew and grew. If anyone hears how to
solve it let me know too please.
--
Oldster Computer Sponge

"John Newton" wrote:

> Jax,
>
> The dowload was Windows Service Pack 2.
>
> I have been told it has given problems and I should uninstall and revert to
> Service Pack 1 but do not know if this is correct.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> John
>
> "John Newton" wrote:
>
> > I downloaded a Windows update and it appears to have affected my Screen
> > Display. On start up the Screen now always sets itself at 640x480 pixels so
> > hardly anything fits my Screen. Every time this happens I change back via
> > Settings and click "Apply" but next time I switch on my computer the pixels
> > revert to 64ox480.
> >
> > Help, someone. How to I set it for good to ma reasonable size?
> >
> > --
> > John

Hi, Oldster.

Video problems are usually caused by failure to use the proper drivers for
the graphics display hardware - and those are VERY specific to your
particular hardware - which you did not tell us about.

What make and model computer do you have? (Or which motherboard, if you
built it yourself?) If you are not using onboard graphics, which add-on
card do you have? Have you downloaded the latest drivers from the graphics
card maker's website?

The more we know about your hardware, the better chance we have of offering
advice that might actually help you, rather than just shooting in the dark.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Best half of Twins" <BesthalfofTwins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:96B86363-7CAA-4507-8503-574C7C7523B4@microsoft.com...
>I have had this same problem, but it started before I downloaded the
>windows
> service pack 2. I have evan had to restart at an earlier time because the
> fonts were so large I could not hit apply and ok in control panel. I also
> want to know what is causing it. I tried everything, ad aware, spyblaster,
> constant updates with virus protection, and windows updates. My problem
> first
> started when i clicked the mouse and used the wheel to scroll on e-mail
> list.
> I scrolled the wheel and dispay images grew and grew. If anyone hears how
> solve it let me know too please.
> --
> Oldster Computer Sponge
>

> "John Newton" wrote:
>
>> Jax,
>>
>> The dowload was Windows Service Pack 2.
>>
>> I have been told it has given problems and I should uninstall and revert
>> Service Pack 1 but do not know if this is correct.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> John
>>
>> "John Newton" wrote:
>>
>> > I downloaded a Windows update and it appears to have affected my Screen
>> > Display. On start up the Screen now always sets itself at 640x480
>> > pixels so
>> > hardly anything fits my Screen. Every time this happens I change back
>> > via
>> > Settings and click "Apply" but next time I switch on my computer the
>> > pixels
>> > revert to 64ox480.
>> >
>> > Help, someone. How to I set it for good to ma reasonable size?
>> >
>> > --
>> > John

I think I have isolated the problem for me. I suspected it was AIM because I
was having problems.Today I changed properties so it would not automatically
sign me in. When I maually signed in the pixels immediately changed. I had
downloaded the newist version.I have sent them a bug report and am awaiting a
solution. I have not found a way to change drivers for this on my own. I have
had AIM look for driver changes.
--
Oldster Computer Sponge