Dell xps 410 q6600 cpu and windows 7 32 or 64 bit

ndkid

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
I am running a dell xps 410 q6600 cpu and I am wondering whether to install windows 7 32 or 64 bit and what ram will work best? Any input would be appreciated.

With 32-bit systems the RAM is limited to 4 GBs. 64-bit will enable you to install RAM more than 4 GBs and up to the limits of the motherboard's capability.

I prefer Win 7 Professional or Ultimate 64-bit, because I get the capability of 'XP-Mode' for older software. This feature is not available on Win 7 Home.

ndkid

Distinguished
May 29, 2011

Thank you for your response, I will be installing on a new hdd, and it will definately be the Dell pro windows 7. My concerns are whether the system would work better on the 64 bit version or 32 bit version, considering also, that I would like to restore and keep the oringnal window xp media center version on the present hdd. I did an experimental run with window 64 bit and encountered some issues with updates while both os systems were active and what I would call software conflicts. I am seeking any information that would help with my decision and set up. I have done some research and have recognized that there my be a slight issue with the raid driver regarding the q6600 and the current xps 410 mother board. This was a cpu upgrade from a duo core.

The way to do this is to install Win6 64-bit (Pro or Ultimate version). Then utilize the built-in capability of 'XP-Mode' (Virtual PC) for your older XP applications.

This is what I have done and works fine. I use Win7 for Office 2010, and other apps. - I use XP-Mode for an older Autocad version, and a Project Management software (more capabilities) that I prefer over MS Project.

There is no need to install XP on a separate disk; use the built-in feature of 'XP-Mode' in Win7 Pro. And, go for the 64-bit install.

Remember, when you use XP-Mode, it is like a separate XP computer within the Win7 computer. This means that you must have a separate anti-virus program for the XP-Mode Virtual computer, along with a separate anti-virus for the Win7 computer.

I use motherboard RAID and I have set up RAID 1 for my data (RAID is not a substitute for backup). Don't buy a separate RAID card; use on-board RAID.

The XP Media version has too many reported problems and I do not suggest that you mix it with Win7. If you can install it on a separate disk and run it while the Win7 OS is not running, you may have success.

Whatever you decide, perform regular, frequent backups on an external disk.

ndkid

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Thanks, I didn't understand that the xp mode would act like a separate system. First I would like to know if I should completely remove the original harddrive before installing the new drive and os system. I was planning on leaving the drive in place and just replacing my current back up drive. I also have been trying to find out what kind of up grade to the ram memory I might hope to make. I would like to do the 64 bit version, but I also understand that version uses a lot of ram, and likely the current 3gb will likely require an upgrade. Suggestions welcome. I also am a little confused on the raid and configuration that would be best. I will admit at this time I have not researched that information. Will the lastest version of the dell xps 410 bios be sufficient or is there some alternative. If there is anything I should do before attempting the install please advise.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Here is the info you requested !

The original specs stated 4GB max. At that time the 410 was only sold with a 32 bit OS and the original Dell Bios only supported 4GB. The 410 will handle 8GB max with a 64bit OS,and you must have the most recent bios!

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 (non-ECC)

Any more questions just ask !

Windows 7 Pro OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

Welcome to the Forum !

peterb1z

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011

I have the 64 bit pro installed on the xps 410 6600 but when I try to run the it in xp mode it tells that its unable to start the Windows Virtual PC because hardware-assisted virtualization is disabled. Hitting f12 upon start up to change settings (following threads on how to turn virtualization on) yields set up screen that says bios can't be changed. Any ideas on how to overcome this? Very frustrating!

Try contacting Dell for a solution. This is not the first time they have run into this situation, and they will have the best way to do this.

Dell generally locks a lot of stuff in their computers because they do not want customers adjusting the settings. Even some simple programs like 'RealTemp' cannot be installed on some Dells.

peterb1z

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011

Thank you for the quick reply and bkgd....though contacting Dell doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Strangely enough, I have been pleasantly surprised by Dell's Customer Support (Tech support) at times.

If you are lucky, you may get a good tech support person from the Phillipines; the Indian tech support sucks! I hope Dell realizes this before it is too late. The 'E' in the Dell logo resembles the Enron logo too much. And we know where Enron ended up!

peterb1z

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011

I didn't follow up with Dell, but just thought I'd follow for anyone else having this problem. I went to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on and off, and unchecked the Virtual PC checkbox. (Yes it was there and yes it was checked which is what made this so odd that nothing was showing up in the Virtual PC folder within the All Programs list.)

Anyway I unchecked the box and rebooted the computer so the folder no longer show up the All Programs list, then went back and rechecked the box from the control panel and restarted the computer again. Basically switched it on and off to see if it would reset.

That worked - it did reset and now I can run the virtual pc in XP mode.

Thanks for responding - sometimes you post questions on forums and it's like this black hole that it falls into. It's nice when someone actually responds!

TRENDING THREADS