Overclocking Help please!

Tiger89

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I have
AMD Venice Core 3000+64
1 Gb DDR x1
Gigabyte K8U Mobo

I have no idea where to go in the bios to overclock. I don't want to go extreme but maybe like 2.4ghz or so. Please any help would be great. Thanks.

Tiger89

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
So how come when i over clock the CPU at like 250mhz it starts freaking out. Locks up. The reason why i ask is cause, i read some people got there processor up to 2.7Ghz. Sorry for sounding dumb.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
There are a whole slew of factors that can influence stability, be it the RAM, motherboard, innadequate cooling or not enough Vcore.

The smart way to overclock is to isolate those variables and work around the hardware limitations as you identify them.

Posting a Validated CPU-Z link would help us figure out what is holding you back.

neocristi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Hi there, here is what you have to do:

- Set the overclocking options in bios to "manual".
- Disable Q&Q and Q-Fan.
- Set the HT multiplier to a lower value (e.g. 3X).
- Set the DDR to operate at lower speed (e.g. 266Mhz).
- Lock CPU vcore to whatever value is specified for your CPU (e.g. 1.4v), maybe add extra 0.025v or 0.050v but do not exagerate with the voltage.
- Lock the DDR voltage to whatever is specified for your DDR dimms (mine is 2.65v).
- Lock the PciEx sped to default, same with PCI.

- And now... invcrease the bus speed with 5 or 10mhz, test stability, and repeat this until you reach 250Mhz.

You may reach 260 or even 270 but I think this is exagerated overclock for your chip and the cpu will need increased voltage and will probably fail, it's your risk.

Hope all works ok for your overclock.

endyen

Splendid
Yes well, a 33% OC is fairly extreme. With that mobo, I'm afraid it would be more of a miracle.
AFAIK, it only "allows a 232mhz base rate" in bios. If you could get that speed to work, you would only be @ 2.088ghz. Unfortuneatly, that would take more luck than most paduan OCers have. The problem is, there is no control for the HT multipier. Your chipset fixes that @ 4X. It doesn't like an HT rate much above 800mhz. At a base of 232 and a multiplier of 4, you are looking @ an HT speed of 928.
The best place for you to start would be the bios choice for 10% OC, under frequency/voltage control. While you are there, set your dimm overvoltage to +.02. If the 10% OC doesn't work, you coyld try raising the cpu voltage by 5%.
Sorry for the bad news. Hope you have more luck than most.

TRENDING THREADS