Another bad 7900gt?

mr_tan

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I just put together a new e6400/DS3 system with a 7900gt. Upon installing windows, I got a BSOD: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer..." Well had to reinstall, this time it went OK.

Curious to see benches I ran 3dmark 05 and 06. It only went a few seconds into 06 then locked up and I had to reboot. With 05, it reached the Firefly test than hung giving me a Nv4_disp error.

At the moment I only have a generic 512mb stick of RAM (Spectek 667) while I wait for an order of better RAM to arrive.

Could this be a sign of a bad card or could there be other factors causing this? Thanks.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
It's really hard to say man. If it was me, and I suspected the card was the cause, I would possibly try underclocking it about 20Mhz or so, and try running 3dmark again. If 3dmark runs, you've got a problem.

You could also try the card in another machine.

pauldh

Illustrious
I agree with you that it's hard to tell but it sure could be the card (given their shotty history). And I'd say specifically underclock the memory as some of the people with bad 7900GT's claim that the card works OK if they underclock the memory. But it would be easiet/best if he could get his hands on another card to try as well as try his card in another system.

See Question #6 : http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15366&whichpage=1