Sign in with
Your question

My new computer's hard drives on the fritz.

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2006 8:24:42 AM

I just recently built a computer with 2 Western Digital 250 Gigabyte Hard Drives but when I made my computer and booted it up, I have 2 hard drives C and D but both only have 127 Gigabytes of room.

Anyone know what is going on?
September 20, 2006 9:26:57 AM

Your BIOS is only recognising them as 128Gb drives, so you're not seeing all the space. I'd suggest updating your BIOS and your drivers - if that doesn't work I'm afraid you're stuck (under windows - Linux would see all the space!)

It may be worth checking the back of the drive to see if there's a "128Gb Clip" function on them - I suspect not, but worth checking.
September 20, 2006 11:52:21 AM

you didn't say if these were PATA or SATA drives
if PATA you might try changing the drive detection in
bios from AUTO to LARGE or try imputting the drive spec's
manually. but most likely a windows proplem ( didn't see what
OS your using.
SATA drives means a proplem and most likely
a bios update to try to solve
Related resources
September 20, 2006 1:01:18 PM

Oh, sorry.

They are SATA drives.
September 20, 2006 1:05:35 PM

Aside from what is already mentioned, if you are installing a version of XP that is not service pack 1 (sp1) or later then the OS can't see it:
Quote:
How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support"]Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are running Windows XP SP1. If you want to use 48-bit LBA support, you must apply Windows XP SP1 or later. Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition already include SP1.
[/url]

You can simple upgrade to SP2 and create new partitions or if you have to have a 250gb c: drive then you can create an SP2 install disk by slipstreaming your current XP cd with the network installer of SP2
September 20, 2006 2:02:43 PM

Also, if you enter the bios it should tell you what it size drive it is seeing. That will narrow it down to hardware vs software. Personally I would make sure I had the latest bios regardless in addition to SP2, it's good to keep it everything updated.
September 20, 2006 3:24:25 PM

Quote:
I just recently built a computer with 2 Western Digital 250 Gigabyte Hard Drives but when I made my computer and booted it up, I have 2 hard drives C and D but both only have 127 Gigabytes of room.

Anyone know what is going on?

Doolittle got it right. Install SP2 and your problems will go away.
!