Neep Help with Case fan...badly

smileypaul

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
My parents computer needs a case fan. The screw holes in th eback of the computer are 7cm apart, what size fan should i be getting?!

thank in advance..

Paul

smileypaul

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
hmm.. ill look around, i wasnt aware they made 70mil fans... i thought it was 50, 80, 120... someone needs to standardize these things ...

smileypaul

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Thanks for the quick replies..
my parents CeleronD 3.06 was up around 60 degress in the bios.. took the side panel off, and it dropped 10 degrees.. looks like its time to replace the wonderful intel cooler, and add a case fan in the back..

again, thanks for the replies

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
60 degrees ain't bad for system-built computers, but I hope thats 60 at load, not idle...

Either way, a new case fan would help, don't know if you should spend money on a better cooler though... is there really a point? Their not gaming or OC'ing (At least I wouldn't think they do) so save some money and use it on your own comp.

smileypaul

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Doughboy,
thanks for the reply.. I was just monitoring the temp in the BIOS, and it was up at 60/61 degrees .. I have read taht in bios, on occassion, the processor is under full load? this doesnt make any sense to me.

The case is rather old, and only has one fan outlet in the back, ill order an 80mm fan for that, but am still considering a new cooler... from tigerdirect.ca , can anyone recommend an adequate cpu cooler!? seems like everything on there is too loud.. my parents are footing the bill for this, so its no money out of my pocket :)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
can anyone recommend an adequate cpu cooler!?

First we need to know the mobo socket and CPU identity. You can look on newegg under cooling and find your way to CPU HSFs. Arctic Cooling makes good quality, inexpensive HSFs that perform well and are reasonably quiet. Use Atctic Silver as thermal grease and read their web site for advice on how to prep and apply it.

smileypaul

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Sorry.. here's the info

MoBo: Intel D865GVHZL Socket 478 Motherboard
Proc: Intel Celeron D 345 3.06Ghz

Im located in Canada, just outside Toronto. Ive never used Newegg as im nto sure if they have anything local. Tigerdirect.ca is only about 40 minutes away from me, so its nice to know that if they ship something wrong, then its not a big hassle... :)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Thermalright SP94
You should be able to find it really cheap on eBay now. Used to cost a fortune when it was new.

Just for sh!ts and grins, I searched ebay. I did not find the SP94 but did find this XP120. Looks pretty good but you have to buy a fan. Something slow and quiet should work.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ugh, I would stay away from Ebay, buy from newegg or a local computer store, more peace of mind that way.

I go to

www.directron.com

for all my needs, but thats because its a 20 min drive and I know the owners...

A decent HSF should be about 20-30 bucks or so, and a case fan should be about 5...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Ugh, I would stay away from Ebay, buy from newegg or a local computer store, more peace of mind that way.

Ebay is a mixed bag and I admit that it can't compete with places like Newegg for purchasing new stuff in a no-brainer atmosphere of security. You have to learn to guage the sellers on ebay. I have been burned pretty deep there, but have also scored in a big way so many times that I think it's worth the risk, especially for more oddball and rare items. I got one collectible there for about $20 because it had been listed incorrectly and I turned it around and got over $1500. Know thy search engines!