X-Fi Elite Pro Line in 3/Hi-Z problems

lefo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Please can anyone advise on how to properly set the "LINE IN 3" input for recording guitar, because i have serious problems to set it up. I' ve tried everything i could think of (checked all the properties settings and set the line in 3 everywhere possible) but no sound. I even tried other inputs but no luck.
Even the onther inputs dont work for me. Playback works fine, apart of the crackling noises every 5 mins. Is there anyone willing to help me with this problem please ?

lefo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
What software are you using?

Are you trying to record mic'd guitar (in which case which mic are you using) or are you doing DI?

I'm using Cubase SX3 + stand alone Guitar Rig 1.2 and im trying to record via DI, not the mic one (but i've tried that one too). No matter what mode i use on the X-Fi, Line in 3 OR Line in 2 are not working. No signal at all.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
In Guitar Rig, are you sure you have the X-Fi selected as the interface in the Audio Setup dialog?

Also, try plugging a microphone in to the sound card and running Guitar rig. Try setting the latency to a higher value. What are your other system specs?

Turn off on-board audio also.

I'm not overly familiar with Cubase having not used it for a while, so that's why I'm asking questions about Guitar Rig.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Oh, and what guitar are you using to record with? And what brand of cable, and length.

EDIT: Are there any pedals between the guitar and the sound card? If so what ones, and are they on battery or mains power.

lefo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
In Guitar Rig i have Creative ASIO set up as interface. I' already tried the microprone and no signal either. Btw, i have JACKSON guitar and i use no pedals. The thing is i have been using Audigy 2 SZ Pro with absolutely no problem just day ago. I even use very high quality cables but i tried diff ones too. Nothing.
I turned off the audio on board already, that was the first thing.
The front panel comunicates with my sound card, knobs are working but the inputs wont cooperate.

my system:

ASUS A7N8X (latest bios)
nForce 2 chipset (latest drivers - 5.10)
2x512 gig V-Data DDR2 RAM
radeon 9800pro grapfic card (latest driver - 6.8 )
250 gig WD hdd
and newly instaled winxp pro (fully patched)

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'm assuming you've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers? If you had a Creative card before, it could be conflicting (just an idea).

If the card came with any software (if I recall last time I installed a Creative card it came with some really really bad recording software) then try using that, so you can rule out the possibility of hardware failure.

Oh, and on your Jackson (although you probably know this already) if you have active (i.e. EMG) pickups in that thing then either switch out the active circuit or turn the output volume down - my Telecaster which has some of the lowest output pickups of any guitar I've played overloads the input of the onboard on my PB...and I'm sure you know how terrible Guitar Rig sounds with a distorted input.