HP 5L multiple paper feed problem

HP used to supply the retrofit kit for free. This was really an easy fix
that
any user could install. It was a matter of inserting a cardboard in the
input slot and then removing it. I need about 10 of these and probably
more in the future. I would prefer these but failing that I'm wondering
if just replacing the separation would fix the problem. any comments would
be appreciated.
Ken

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
>HP used to supply the retrofit kit for free. This was really an easy fix
>that
>any user could install. It was a matter of inserting a cardboard in the
>input slot and then removing it. I need about 10 of these and probably
>more in the future. I would prefer these but failing that I'm wondering
>if just replacing the separation would fix the problem. any comments would
>be appreciated.
>Ken

Ken
I recommend that you replace the pick up roller and separation pads (3 total).
If you just replace the separation pad you will almost certainly have problems
with paper pickup in the near future sonce these parts tend to wear out at
about the same time. There are plenty of suppliers of the kit. At least one of
them provides a video instruction tape with the kit (www.fixyourownprinter.com).
Tony

Thanks Tony,
I'll order the separation pads and see if that does the trick. I do have
the service manual and have the knack for taking these printers apart.
After so many times it becomes easy. So I guess you don't recommend
the cardboard insert trick.
Ken

<Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.54uPyDYotiT0SA@ue.ph...
> "ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
> >HP used to supply the retrofit kit for free. This was really an easy fix
> >that
> >any user could install. It was a matter of inserting a cardboard in the
> >input slot and then removing it. I need about 10 of these and probably
> >more in the future. I would prefer these but failing that I'm wondering
> >if just replacing the separation would fix the problem. any comments
would
> >be appreciated.
> >Ken
>
> Ken
> I recommend that you replace the pick up roller and separation pads (3
total).
> If you just replace the separation pad you will almost certainly have
problems
> with paper pickup in the near future sonce these parts tend to wear out at
> about the same time. There are plenty of suppliers of the kit. At least
one of
> them provides a video instruction tape with the kit
(www.fixyourownprinter.com).
> Tony

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
>Thanks Tony,
>I'll order the separation pads and see if that does the trick. I do have
>the service manual and have the knack for taking these printers apart.
>After so many times it becomes easy. So I guess you don't recommend
>the cardboard insert trick.
>Ken
>
><Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.54uPyDYotiT0SA@ue.ph...
>> "ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
>> >HP used to supply the retrofit kit for free. This was really an easy fix
>> >that
>> >any user could install. It was a matter of inserting a cardboard in the
>> >input slot and then removing it. I need about 10 of these and probably
>> >more in the future. I would prefer these but failing that I'm wondering
>> >if just replacing the separation would fix the problem. any comments
>would
>> >be appreciated.
>> >Ken
>>
>> Ken
>> I recommend that you replace the pick up roller and separation pads (3
>total).
>> If you just replace the separation pad you will almost certainly have
>problems
>> with paper pickup in the near future sonce these parts tend to wear out at
>> about the same time. There are plenty of suppliers of the kit. At least
>one of
>> them provides a video instruction tape with the kit
>(www.fixyourownprinter.com).
>> Tony

Ken
I have never used the cardboard trick so I really don't have an opinion, but I
doubt that any method of roughing up the roller and/or pads would last all that
long.
Tony

budgie

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:06:32 -0400, "ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:

>Thanks Tony,
>I'll order the separation pads and see if that does the trick. I do have
>the service manual and have the knack for taking these printers apart.
>After so many times it becomes easy. So I guess you don't recommend
>the cardboard insert trick.

I ordered two of the HP freebies. When they arrived I took a serious look at
them, then ordered the parts kit from www.fixyourownprinter.com. The freebies
are IMHO worth what they cost.